AI Gigapixel - how to save an image to computer

Bought AI Gigapixel yesterday and was hoping to send a photo I took yesterday. I haven’t had the opportunity as of yet to go to the tutorials so am hoping someone can give me an answer here before I do that. I cannot find how to save an image that was processed. Usually it’s a no brainer but nowhere can I find a save option.

Also if someone can suggest the best way to begin to learn AI Gigapixel. There’s not much to learn but I’m a newbie and do have a number of questions.

Thanks so much!

AI Gigapixel is a batch process so you will need to use the Output Name and Location: part of the panel on the right to specify the name and folder where you want the resulting processed image saved.

Christina,

I think you’ll enjoy working with AI Gigapixel (AIG) and discovering what it can do for you! Both for individual photos and batches of photos…

After you launch AI Gigapixel, look on the right side of the interface. Down towards the bottom there’s a section called “Output”. I’ll attach a couple snips so you can see two different ways of approaching where to save… (1) You can either have your AIG image(s) stored back into the same image folder where your original images are located (see my snip with that box checked on), or (2) You can uncheck that box (yep, another snip attached!) to browse your computer and decide where you want the AIG output to go.

A handy tip I use to make it easier to spot the AIG output files is this: if you look down to the option in that Output box that says “File Suffix” … After the word “output” in the grey box to the right of those words I add a hyphen. Following that hyphen I enter the amount of upsizing I used in AIG. For instance, if I upsize 400%, I’ll doctor that entry to read …-output-400 . That way when I scan down my list of image filenames it’s easier to spot the ones I enlarged with AIG. And, if you want to try different scaling options for a single image then you know which is which. Neat, hunh?

Topaz runs some excellent webinars for free. You may want to get on their mailing list to be notified when they’re being held, so you can register. In the meantime, you can also look at their online archive of past webinars to get some tips from talented experts re: how to use tools like AIG (AI Gigapixel) and the other Topaz filters, plugins and Studio tools.

Check out: http://blog.topazlabs.com/webinars/

Good luck! Have fun playing around with AIG and the other Topaz Studio adjustments…

Thanks AiDon for your suggestion.

Thanks so much, Fotomaker, for taking the time and effort to respond to my question.
Don’t know if I would have figured that out too easily without help. I just got in so I’ll try it out
tomorrow and see how it goes.

The webinars are excellent, I agree. I’ve been able to attend a few of them but missed
the one on AIG…I’ll hunt it down as I surely should be able to pick up some tidbits to
help me along.

Again, I appreciate your help…a lot!

1 Like

Save To Source Folder does not seem to work. Only if I specify the source folder using Custom Folder do I see the output file saved to disk.

I’ve been using Gigapixel a while without problems until this issue showed up. I don’t have the option you describe on my interface with Mac. Are you using PC? There is just a SAVE option at the bottom that asks me for a name and where to put the file like one would expect. I fill out the box with what I want. The interface says “processing”, the blue line moves (slowly) across the screen until done. No messages appear, but the file is not created.

1 Like

Hi, I wrote the message you’re referring to quite a while ago (several years…). The GAI interface has changed & updated since that time… To answer your 1st question, I’m a Win 10 PC user. But I would hope you’d be given similar options wrt being able to save out your GAI-processed images.

It sounds as if you’re trying to save an image but can’t find where it’s saving to. Is that right?

Here’s what I see when I’m in the main user interface for the current GAI vers. (5.6.1) using the standalone product on my Win 10 desktop PC:

Before I process images I make sure my Preferences in the File menu include a file Suffix. My personal choice for that are the letters GAI & the amount of upscaling I’ve used. It helps me spot my GAI output files more easily when I go to my image folder.

This is what I see if I click on the ‘Save Image’ button at lower right of the GAI interface. A box pops up asking me to choose how & where my GAI processed image should be saved. Do you get that pop-up box? You can set the parameters to suit your preferences. About midway down that box it asks whether you want the GAI output to save back into the file/folder where you grabbed the original from or whether you want the GAI output to be placed someplace else (Custom). Which of those options are you using?

Have you checked your source or custom specified output placement folders?

If yes, why don’t you try an experiment and pick Custom and assign the output to go to the Desktop so it will be easy to spot if it works okay. If the processing is completing, you might want to create a Suffix or Prefix in the GAI Preferences (File Menu) to help you spot your GAI outputs quicker.

Let me know what you find…

1 Like

On my Mac using GigaPixel 6.2.2. this option does not exist either… The default is to overwrite the source image. I can’t choose any other option.

In version 5.6.1. this was as you describe above.

Wow. That’s interesting. I don’t have a Mac so I cannot see what you do.

Using Windows, when I get into the GAI save process, I’m able to alter the filename.

One other thing I do for all my Topaz products (to avoid overwriting (b/c that would be a disaster for me!) is immediately add a default Suffix in the Preferences menu for the product. For me, that is the abbreviation of the product name & its release #. For example, _GAI633 (for Gigapixel AI 6.3.3). That suffix is automatically appended to every image I save from GAI; therefore not overwriting my original filename. There’s a Prefix option too, if you prefer that to the Suffix.

I’m not a commercial user. But I could envision someone who is, using the Prefix for a client name, etc.

In the version before this one; this option existed, so I know what you mean… Unfortunately - not even in the preferences, I can not change this.

1 Like

How are you opening GigaPixel, as a plug-in from a host such as Lightroom using edit in or as a standalone? If you are opening as a plug-in using the hosts edit in the default is to overwrite the passed image.

I am talking, if it wasn’t clear, about using the GAI Standalone. Because there would be no way to save a filename going from the plugin (in Ps File > Automate) back to the host I use; which is Photoshop. I can only save a file that I’ve worked on using a Topaz plugin in Ps after I’ve flattened it (or, in layers as a .PSD) after I’ve completed any processing in the Topaz products and sent them back (by accepting the processing) to the host.

Are you talking about using GAI directly as a Standalone. Or, via another host?

I used the Topaz Gigpixel Ai 6.2.2. standalone app. I have just updated the app to 6.3.3.

The problem seems to be solved :slight_smile: :smile:

2 Likes

That’s great! Glad the update helped.

1 Like