Advise for video game trailers

Hi there, I’m new. I’ve started testing TVAI intensively ~a week ago but I so far wasn’t able to achieve any good results for my potential use-case.

I’ve studied media sience with a focus on video games especially their history. Over the years I’ve collected video game trailers from the late 1980s to early 2000s. On floppy disks, CDs, DVDs, for many different systems, encoded with a plethora of methods. The plan is to enhance these trailers and make them available on YouTube on a co-op channel. I’ve been doing that already for some time using ffmpeg & Co., here’s an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7UCmBzyiM.

Lo-fi pixel art is easy though. Most trailers rather look like the Metal Gear Solid 2 E3 2000 trailer that has gained a lot of attention, also mentioned in Topaz Labs’ ultimate guide to 60 fps frame rate conversion in 2022.

That trailer was ripped from a DVD, de-interlaced, upscaled to 4K and interpolated to 60 frames, in 2001 probably using EVAI 2.1.x. The process and before and after footage is presented in this video: Metal Gear Solid 2 E3 2000: 4K AI Upscaling An All-Time Classic Trailer - YouTube

No matter what I try, with TVAI 3.1.5 the result don’t get anywhere close. I’m not even sure it would count as an actual improvement. Not even when using similar soure material like the Metal Gear Solid 2 E3 2001 trailer, not even already de-interlaced and already 60fps.

I’m aware that it is a trial-and-error process. And the source material matters. But can anyone give a general advise for video game trailers? Video game footage captured, encoded in the 1990s distributed on magazine cover disks. Upscaling to 2k or 4k, interpolating to higher frame rate and actually achieve enhanced quality? What models and roughly settings?

If it takes me days to figure things out for each trailer I won’t be able to do this project in my lifetime :slight_smile:

you might want to give those presets a shot…

1 Like