Advice for VHS video (Jagged edges)

Hi,
What would be the best settings to clean up the (possible) deinterlace jagged lines in the video. I have tried the deinterlace modes, shrinking the video. I am out of ideas to fix

I do not have the original video only post processed.

Gaia HQ maybe

The problem is that the video has been converted and resized by some method that didnā€™t deinterlace in any kind of sympathetic way. Iā€™m guessing it began life as a PAL 4:3 Mpeg 2 interlaced and was converted at high speed into 1280 x 720 H264 progressive.

Topaz deinterlace modes are no good (for this) because you donā€™t have an interlaced source. You said youā€™ve tried shrinking the video. I assume you mean dropping bitrate and resolution so that the ā€œjags and linesā€ are effectively blurred, and then resizing? This might help if the source was high quality and the artefacts minimal, but here youā€™re going to lose so much detail that it ends up worse - which I guess is what you found.

I think part of the problem is that the resizing to 1280 x 720 has been done by simply stretching a 4:3 original to fit, making the interlacing scan lines more obvious. I found a bilinear resize to 720 x 544 (to restore 4:3) helped a lot - apart from making everybody less dumpy. You can also use QTGMC, which is a deinterlacer, to reduce some of the fringing. It expects an interlaced input, but will work with progressive video with the appropriate settings. To be honest, Iā€™m not convinced it helped much here.
Hereā€™s the clip: Better The Devil Steps resized clip - YouTube

I ran this through Topaz (Artemis medium quality 1080P MP4) : Better The Devil Steps resized 1080P Topaz - YouTube
Unfortunately, along with the elements that are wanted, the interlacing artefacts are ā€œenhancedā€ as well.

Iā€™m not sure what you know/donā€™t know about using tools like Avisynth/Virtualdub etc so I havenā€™t gone into much detail, but if you need more I can point you in (hopefully) the right direction.

Iā€™m not certain youā€™ll ever get rid of the artefacts without a great deal of work, if at all. Iā€™ve seen people who know a great deal more than me working on similar problems, e.g. here repair bad deinterlacing - Doom9's Forum (including the embedded links) and it looks to be a great deal of work.

4 Likes

Thank you, That is a very in depth test. It does look slightly improved. I sincerely thank you for going through all the effort THANK YOU

I suspect with a bit of care, you could improve on that, maybe experimenting with different resize filters, bitrates etc. but I did this quickly without too much close attention. And youā€™re welcome - I was interested to see how it would look. Part of the problem is that the clip is almost designed to induce interlacing artefacts: loads of rapid movement, flashing lights etc.

Those are the cases where ā€œnot possibleā€ comes closer :slight_smile: But to see what could be done, we would need an exact unaltered peace of the clipā€¦ Like mentioned above, resizing interlaced material as progressive in most cases destroys the chances of cleaning it up again afterwards. But to be sure - upload withoput recompressing your clip or a small snipplet of it.