Adjust Lighting and Balance Color

Greetings,

Thank you for getting back with me on this and that is very good news.

Sincerely,
Bryan McManis

1 Like

Yes, it is unworkably slow, as yet. What’s worse is that there is the same delay when moving the slider to adjust the magnitude of the change. This is not a substitute for a full photo editing app but it is useful if, say, you have sharpened or de-noised a photo and only need to tweak the lighting a bit to get it as you want.

1 Like
  1. When I select multiple adjustments (denoise, sharpen, lighting and color) and then I change ONE parameter/slider, the program calculates ALL settings again. This is very inefficient and consumes a lot of time
  2. I applied the lighting adjustment to an interior photo of a bedroom. It just darkened the image to a point that it can’t be used
  3. I applied the color adjustment and instead of reducing color cast it added color cast.

Bottom line - Since I already own all 3 programs individually, this one doesn’t quite add any benefits to me

I tested both and found it to be “ok’ish” for some pictures and not so good for others.
However, what I think works best is to first adjust/run Lightning and Color, without applying any denoising and sharpening. The program responds instantly and there’s no need to wait for all the other adjustments to reload.
Once adjusted light and color, then I can go and try applying denoising and sharpening with the usual waiting time.
I think it works better than going thru the adjustments in the natural secuence… my 0.02 anyway.

The light adjustment seems pretty good. The color balance adjustment, by default, tends to be a little too bias toward the warm side.

Very Very pleased of these features, asked them some time ago in the feature forum :stuck_out_tongue: ( New software "lighting ai or "exposure ai" )

tried it, seems very good on some photos, but on others isn’t, i think it can be better, for example putting underexposed photo inside, results in ai wich wants to underexpose it more :stuck_out_tongue:

You could think also of some “customization” like the others tools have, for example a trigger to let the user choose if he wants more or less light, or 2 sliders with a quantity of light the user wants to add, or to remove

If you click open the filter, there’s a strength slider that you can manually manipulate.

Can you upload an example of an underexposed photo that the program wants to underexpose even more? I’d like to test it out and see what happens on my end. Thanks!

Congrats ! One comment from me : a noticeable number of my photos have one part under-exposed (often the right middle upper side, don’t know why), the rest of the photo is OK. Would be fine if your filter could find it out and correct the lighting accordingly, not evenly all over the photo. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately sharpening results in lighting up the image.In order to correct this, I have tested the Adjust lighting tool. Out of the box, the adjustment does not really improve things. When using the adjustment slider, the image changes its color/white balance and not its lighting.

Balancing color is for the moment not an option for me since it is taking ages – and not very helpful.

One thing that is even more strange: if I do not activate any of the tools, the image on the right is somewhat brighter than the one of the original to the left.

with a batch of 20 images is there a way that the adjust lighting would apply to all the images using autu piolot

hi tim, i know about the strength but the strength changes between original and “recognized ai” “filter”, i think would be bettere to have some sliders to “guide” the ai going darker or lighter, for example if the ai “wants” to make that image darker, but i want it lighter, i can guide the ai to optimize the image lighter as i want, don’t know if i could explain :stuck_out_tongue:

can i send you the image in private? its a photo of a friend of mine and for privacy i prefer not to publish it

We’re working on this functionality and expect it to be released in the next 1-2 updates.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure what you’re describing to be honest. Can you submit a support ticket at support.topazlabs.com using the beacon at the bottom right corner of the page and address it to me?

You’ll be able to securely send images and other files there.

2 Likes

thanks for that it would be very useful

1 Like

Haven’t had much success with the Adjust lighting mode. Invariable I get a green cast over the image.

1 Like

That’s interesting to see because you don’t have Balance Color activated.

Yet it looks like PAI tried to compensate for the magenta tint to the image on the left by adding its complement, green.

If the Lighting was solely adjusted, it should have become a brighter or lighter (or, darker) magenta.

(BTW, I like your handle! It’s like, “Bond, James Bond”)

The balance color and lighting don’t work very well. Does anyone else feel like this? Maybe at 20 opacity. Why does it have to rerender every single process when I zoom out

3 Likes

Sorry I meant Lighting Adjustment rather than Balance Colour. Most of my shots have been of moths early morning using an LED light panel set a 6000 kelvin and Lighting Adjustment tend to result the green cast. That said I’ve just used it on one of the photos from this morning and the result is pretty good. First time I’ve seen that. Perhaps its the green background.

The sharpening and noise reduction rarely needs any adjustments and if they do its usually because the software has been unable to fully detect the subject.

Hi,

Yes, I was responding to what Lighting was doing to your image. Based on your snip above.

But what I was saying was that it looked as though PAI applied a Color Balance, rather than a Lighting alteration, even though you didn’t have the Color Balance option turned on… :slightly_smiling_face: In other words, for that example it looks like the wrong feature kicked in.

I tried the Balance Color feature and was able to make the photo slightly cooler. The background was improved, unfortunately, the subject turned blue including the face. Maybe you could add the option to mask the subject to exclude from the temperature adjustment.

1 Like