A new de-interlace module

I’d like a dedicated part of the App to deal with de-interlacing. The current version lacks the ability to add noise reduction and make other adjustments before upscaling. While Dione can tackle DV and TV sources, there is no ability to tweak or reduce noise or adjust those settings (like proteus). This is one of the most important stages when dealing with VHS and tape sources. The cleaner the source, the better the upscale.

I did some comparisons of VEAI with QTGMC which has a lot of filtering abilities which can soften the image. So it’s clearly a trade off between retaining sharpness and reducing artefacts which can be more noticeable when scaled up. VEAI did a good job and seemed sharper but there were many artefacts evident. I’d like to be able to have more filtering options to address these. I always convert each field into full frames to preserve the video look. QTGMC in Hybrid is very complicated and the filters are slow. I think VEAI could implement the same abilities and blow it out of the water…

I don’t understand all the settings on qtgmc but I don’t think it’s very slow, unless you put all the cursors on placeboo or very slow, and again… the speed is reasonable, that said, qtgmc is much higher for deinterlacing

I second this request. Often, you can get better upscale results by even running a simple desinterlace through Handbrake before going to AI. This is especially true for sources that are actually 23.976 telecined at 29.97.

is it true because topaz doesn’t handle telecine normally? I don’t know too much about this subject because my sources are 8mm (25 - 50 fps)

One thing I’ve noticed in the Jan 22 release of VEAI is the de-interlace setting in Dione has an auto field function. I found it’s better not to use this and select the correct field order manually. I discovered it introduced an artefact ghosting. When manually selected it was correct.

The other new element that seems to help when combined with Dione, is to use the chronos feature in Frame Interpolation, but without setting it to slow motion. This helped with temporal noise. These are features present but a dedicated module could better implement them. I’ve experimented a lot to figure this out.

I don’t use QTGMC, I’m a Linux guy and could never figure out how to get it setup on my Windows video box. That said I’ve seen alot of QTGMC conversions from DVD sources and I am amazed at how well it does but I can generally do better with DDV.

I noticed that the same videos that don’t look great with QTGMC don’t look great with DDV, DDV tends to make these bold black halos worse if they were present in the source. The DDV Dehalo model is practically useless as it tends to go way to far and dehalo things that didn’t even have halos.

For things that are not interlaced I like to use Gaia whenever I can so a trick I found was to use an Avidemux filter to “stack fields” which basically takes all the odd fields, stacks them together and puts them on top, then does the same with even fields and puts them on bottom. So you wind up with 2 vertically squished videos one above the other. I run Gaia 2x or 2.5x on that, then put it back into Avidemux and run the “unstack fields” and Yadif deinterlacer on that. It sounds weird but the results can be far better than anything else I’ve seen DDV or QTGMC produce on certain interlaced sources. No idea how you would impliment something like that into a single model in TVAI but it does work well sometimes but it requires 2 extra recompressions in the process the way I do it.

1 Like

actually when I had virtualdub at debvut, I saw this filter which allows to keep only the odd or even fields to make a super wide video lol but it’s true that I never thought of compiling them separately and deal with vai! it’s really not stupid! :slight_smile:
on the other hand qtgmc is much superior to dione, you just have to try different settings, the advantage is that you can preview what you are defining, with hybrid in any case, the others who use it like staxrip etc I don’t know how it works

A typical (VapourSynth) QTGMC line might look something like:

vid = haf.QTGMC (vid, InputType=0, Preset="Very Slow", TR2=3, EdiQual=2, EZDenoise=0,5, NoisePreset="Slower", TFF=True, Denoiser="KNLMeansCL")

QTGMC is vastly superior to Dione, IMHO.

Yes, I do not use the software with commands but I use QTGCM for quite some time already with Hybrid, and I know that it is superior to Dione :wink: On the other hand I recently tried the deinterlacing with DaVinci Resolve, he is also very good, I will continue some tries with him and make a pass after with Hybrid to then send it to TVAI.