8mm/Super 8 video?

Can I use Video Enhance AI to improve scanned 8mm/Super 8 video?

Yes, for course. Want me do a test run on a short clip of your scanned material? :slightly_smiling_face:

I have more than 20 Video 8 and MiniDV tapes to convert to 1080, starting by capturing the original tape footage using Elgato Video Capture to MP4. Can anyone offer advice about what works best? Which AI Model? I have Premiere Pro and After Effects and NeatVideo Noise reducer add-in. Is there a best workflow? Upscale with Enhance AI first, then denoise, then make other adjustments (Lumetrie color, etc)? Or, make the original converted video better in Premiere Pro, and then upscale using Enhance AI. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

I had some some MiniDV tapes and I upscaled first creating a large HQ file and did final edits and rendering from Vegas. Normally Contrast/Brightness, Colour correcting, sharpening. Just don’t over cook it!

I’ve been using it to upscale and clean up 320x240 VHS quality video, so I would say so!

So reading this old thread on Super 8 - any suggestions for Topaz settings?

I use it in my business, see these examples:

Settings are
revert compression 100%
recover details 0%
Sharpening around 50%
Noise reduction 100%
the rest at 0%

Those are what I like but you can play around as much as you like. I use 2.6.4, the new version doesn’t work very well so I would not recommend updating yet.

1 Like

You can do it, but unfortunately there are no models which are optimized for Super 8. The software is made for video only. Typical problems of optical film, like dust and scratches or flickering are not addressed. But at least you will get super crisp and sharpened dust in your output. :-]

true - and then bring into da vinci resolve for dust removal? I’m going to try that.