Windows 7 & Video Enhance AI

I know first hand, because I work for multi-billion dollar corporation based in France, who still has thousands of employees on Windows 7, including myself. I still continue to receive security updates from Microsoft on my company issued laptop.

2 Likes

Another point… currently, VEAI’s installer warns users that they “might have a problem” if they don’t update to Windows 10 2004, which most users don’t get via Windows Update (most are at 1909)… Microsoft has not pushed it yet via Windows Update because of various compatibility issues. So users who update to Win 10 2004 just for VEAI might bomb their systems, and they might not even have needed the 2004 update!

Clearly it would be better to be developing VEAI for systems that didn’t have as narrow OS requirements… why not use Vulkan and have it so that it could even be run on Linux?

2 Likes

That’s my point, Windows 7 is old. Windows 10 has been released for over 5 years now. Windows 7 was 6 years old when Windows 10 was released. It’s one thing if VEAI incidentally worked on Windows 7 but now you’re asking for under the hood changes to force support for an OS that is a dead end. Just because it can be done, doesn’t mean that it should. I want rapid, stable development, which means leaving other Windows versions behind.

Good software does not depend on a single operating system version to run it.
From the perspective of commercial software, the wishes of the guests are more important than the wishes and time of the developers. Bug10 is updated very frequently. As a result, Bug10 is a constant increase of new bugs and it is not necessarily more stable.

Oh, please. The number of operating systems software runs on does not define “good” software. Placating the whiny requests of a small percentage of end users is not important for commercial software. At least not at this stage of development. And who cares about other buggy software? Bug10 has zero to do with Topaz developers. Finally, I’m willing to bet the number of VEAI paying customers using Windows 7 is insignificant. Maybe Topaz will put up a poll as one person suggested.

Either way, this topic is moot. Here are the system requirements for VEIA: “System Requirements: 1. Need nVidia GPU >4GB VRAM to run fast (CPU can run but quite slow). 2. Cannot handle “interlaced” video directly, footage needs to be to de-interlaced first. 3. Window 10 platform”. This was taken directly from the Topaz Labs website. Deal with it. I’m going to move on to more relevant topics.

Vulkan can use in machine learning same as DirectX12 , but Vulkan can use on Win7 , Win7 has at least 20% market share , don’t drop Win7 support till the Win7 market share less than Win8.1 , please!
Also, please set the [ Windows SDK Version(Target Platform Version) ] to the value [ 8.1 ] before you build the new version software.
And then , if you can’t make the Vulkan ver. AI Engine in short term, please use the D3D12On7(The Direct3D12 runtime for Windows 7) now.
Nowadays, many people still using Win7 , Win10 is very bloated and RAM usage is too high.

4 Likes

Windows 7 is unsafe to use. Period.

1 Like

Yea, the time of Win7 is over.

3 Likes

Computer security software on the market still supports Win7, and Bitdefender discovered most vulnerabilities earlier than Microsoft and pushed virus definition updates earlier. Win7 ESU will not be terminated until 2023. Security is not an excuse for giving up Win7 support.

2 Likes

Yeah, actually, it is.

1 Like

Windows 7 is unsafe to use. Period.

Unsafe as in someone could get access to monitor what you’re doing, profile your handwriting style, have access to your files, change your settings without your permission, delete some of your apps without your consent, cause your computer to fail to boot or plaster ads in the OS menus? That sounds horrible.

Well then I guess there’s something wrong with my Windows 7 since it reliably continues to work over the last 3 years while the Windows 10 machines have been plagued with inexcusably unprofessional updates from Microsoft that have left them unable to boot, unable to use the keyboard, without sound, replaced my video drivers with generic ones, broken search, no icons on the start menu and unresponsive to touch commands at one point in time or another.

Furthermore, without my digging through all of the privacy settings after each update (when MS reverts my privacy settings to default) I have the equivalent of consenting surveillance on every action I take on my PC.

Then I get to reinstall the apps that Microsoft apparently didn’t approve of me having on my PC that they uninstalled during the update.

But yeah, Windows 7… like I said, my copy must be broken since all of my problems are from Windows 10 due to Microsoft’s incompetence and deliberate hostility to it’s users, so if the problems you’re telling me that I’m supposed to be experiencing from Windows 7 are supposed to be as bad as all of the ones I get from 10 but even worse, I can’t even imagine what it must be like. Come to think of it, all of my friends and family must have broken copies of Windows 7, too.

3 Likes

Windows 10 works absolutely fine. Windows 7 is not safe to use. End of story and discussion. Have a lovely day.

1 Like

Video Enhance AI is a Multimedia software not a network communication software, performance and resource usage is more important than security. Again, many security software still service Win7, security is not excuse to drop the Win7 supporting!

1 Like

Windows 7 is now 11 years old. That’s ancient in computer terms. You can’t expect a company that’s developing new software to jump through hoops to support such an old and outdated OS. That would have been like expecting Windows 98 support in software being created at the time Windows 7 was released. And yes, I’m aware Windows 98 is FAT32, while both Windows 7 and Windows 10 are NTFS. Point still stands. Development and support are streamlined by focusing on Windows 10.

2 Likes

Windows 7 is annoying, get 10, done

Windows 10 is annoying, get 7, done.

2 Likes

I saw in the 1.7.0 thread that 1.6.1 works with Windows 7. So… I yanked the Win10 SSD out of my VEAI box, put a blank one in, and restored an early pre-activation Acronis image, made of my Win7 file server, which has nearly the same hardware. Used another Win7 license and I now have VEAI 1.6.1 on Windows 7. Yea!

And now I can also use the box for SVPFlow frame doubling while creating a mp4 with Virtualdub2. Windows 10 throws an error when trying to do that- “video compression error may be corrupt data error code -100”. There’s discussion on doom9 about it, and the consensus is that it’s a bug in Windows 10 with allocating memory to 32bit processes. Windows XP and Windows 7 work fine.

2 Likes

It difficult to convey in words just how much I hate Windows 10. I had to change this new box to Windows 10 to run VEAI 1.8.0. Which was a near impossible task. I used the December 2020 version 2004 iso on USB made with Rufus. The install went smoothly and I was able to create an Acronis True Image backup after the first boot.

I disabled the new features, Cortanta, Windows Updates, Windows Defender, telemetry, etc. I installed Classic Shell, got the taskbar the same as Windows 2000, no stupid search box, taskbar view, and a proper quick launch area to the left, with a real show desktop icon, and unpinned all the crap, and disabled auto combine. MS stupidly removed most of the settings from the taskbar properties and hid them in the new Settings app. Hours wasted setting things proper.

This is where the fun began. I found I could not longer invoke the BIOS boot menu with F12. WTF? After some searching, it seems secure boot had been enabled by Windows 10 and I couldn’t even get into the BIOS anymore. I found a web page where it showed the Recovery mode and an option to boot from USB stick. I thought great, however it didn’t work. No USB boot. Furthermore Windows 10 would no longer boot!

I tried many times but could get nothing more than a beep from powering on… I removed the videocard and boot SSD. Still nothing. I finally realized MS somehow corrupted the BIOS. I pulled the power cord out and reset the BIOS via the jumper. Finally I got BIOS menu to load the defaults and was able to get back into the BIOS. The reset put it back to UEFI mode and after reassembly, Windows 10 would boot. Now the BIOS showed the F12 option during boot and I was able to make an Acronis image.

Why did Windows 10 trash my BIOS such that the PC was unbootable? This is progress? I searched and found MANY posts where Windows 10 had done the same to others. Most responded by taking their PC to a repair place, charged upwards of $1000 to fix, often with a new motherboard. Windows 7 DOES NOT HAVE these issues.

If VEAI worked up to 1.6.1 without DirectX 12, why does it need it now? Don’t Topaz devs know you can use DirectX 12 in Windows 7? See World of Warcraft. MS has several documents with the details.

2 Likes

It knew you hated it and wanted it’s own back.

1.7.0-1.8.1 use DX12 base engine, fast but quality bad, Win7 can’t run it

1.6.1 not use DX12 base engine, slow but quality better, Win7 can run it

Use DX12 base engine is wrong choice, keep use old engine or use Vulkan base engine is better choice.