Why are Theia and Gaia so slow?

Theia typically takes 3-3.5x as long and Gaia 4-4.5x as long to process videos as the other models. Anyone know why? And can someone explain what they are doing at a technical level?

Also, have noticed that Theia is exceptionally resource-intensive (it uses ~8GB RAM as opposed to about 6.7GB for Proteus on the same video). Can anyone elaborate on what’s going on here?

Probably not without giving out details that should remain proprietary.

My guess is that they are just bigger more complex AI models. Not sure about Theia, but Gaia did not get a speed boost in TVAI 3.2 when most of the other models became twice as fast on Nvidia cards. Maybe it’s built very different than the rest.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Gaia has been utter crap for me anyway, but I’d actually like to get some use out of Theia.

And I’d also like to mention that Theia Fidelity has not worked for me on the last few versions of TVAI when doing large upscales. It just outputs black files with no frames, only sound.

It’s simple, Topaz has internally set a memory tiling of 256x256, wich means it can be run even on 4G VRAM GPUs! Why? They only know, but my suspicions are that they want to expand to users with cheaper and older PCs and thus get more sales. Which leaves a lot to be desired from Topaz Labs as AI stuff company.

It would not cost them at all to add an option for users to adjust the size of the memory tiling, or disable it, so that we can get the most out of the models and our GPUs using this, so theoretically the speeds would be much higher.

I’ve been saying it for more than a year in this forum, but it seems that an update with these features will never come, which shows how little Topaz cares, they only think about getting more sales and sales. With those prices and these performance issues, they won’t get so much sales tbh.

PD: You’re not alone, to upscale a 3h movie from 1080p to 2160p I’d to wait 24 hours lmfao.

2 Likes

I recently noticed that Theia is not included in the benchmarks…

Does anyone know if there is some particular reason for this, or is it just another oversight?

I guess that’s because Theia is near to a “legacy” model that hasn’t been touched for ages.
Similar goes for Gaia.

For DVD resolution sources, it adds vertical lines. Maybe it’s useful for higher resolutions.
I really want it to be useful, but so far it is not. Maybe Topaz feels the same way.

I haven’t encountered that with Theia on any sources. It could be a system-specific issue, like a driver problem. If you’re using direct DVD rips (i.e. VOB files), that could also be a contributing factor.

Unlike Gaia, the baseline Theia model performs reparations on the source file. Gaia does not perform any restoration or reparation. It is useful for upscaling or enhancing inputs that are 1000% perfect and require no adjustments at all. But if there are any deficiencies in the source, no matter how minor they are, Gaia will make them worse.

Usually VOB files have DRM still. TVAI cannot decode DRM. But yes. I have been using it on decoded MPEG2 files from DVDs.
I made a detailed report, if you want to check it out.

1 Like

I’m not sure why you’re trying to run Theia as a denoiser. Theia is primarily designed to enhance detail. It has some capacity to remove noise but it’s best used on HQ sources. Also, some of the images in that thread and the linked threads appear to be interlaced or interlaced-progressive.

The grid pattern is not Theia-specific. I’ve had a similar issue with Gaia when dealing with motion, as well as with Artemis HQ, specifically when dealing with concrete. The problem occurs when you try to run a detail-enhancing model over a poor quality source. I’ve been able to offset this problem with Iris (I haven’t found a good balance with Nyx yet; so far, Nyx has removed too much noise from my sources).

Nothing to do with interlacing. That would be only horizontal lines. Since there are both vertical and horizontal lines, it’s something generated by the AI. That first video comes out mostly okay when processed with Artemis HQ. Not to mention I don’t trust TVAI to know how to handle standard DVD MPEG2, so I de-DVD it before using TVAI and that always includes deinterlacing if needed.
My only use for TVAI is upscaling DVD to FHD. That report on Theia was made as a result of trying to find some use, ANY use, for the Theia model. (It took lots of back and forth and 5 updates for Topaz to fix the inputs so they would all affect the output correctly.) Nyx was not out yet. It had been well discovered that Proteus is the best when the source has been cleaned of noise. I was hoping Theia would be a good option.

Heh, the same thing happened with Nyx 2. I very thoroughly tested it to see if it would be a good denoiser option and it failed.