Which filter to "decomb"?

Hi all,

could somebody please tell me which filter I need use to decomb a video?
I couldn’t find the term “decomb” in the documentation, but I don’t know any other word for it.
Here is an example what I mean:

Thanks so much in advance.

Interlaced

An interlaced file is an early form of video compression that was used to make videos look smoother. Achieved by breaking up each full frame of a video into alternating lines taken from two separate fields that were captured at slightly different times.

Enhancement | Topaz Video AI (topazlabs.com)

2 Likes

Great, thank you.
But what to pick if it is a badly digitized video from VHS which is already a progressive MPEG-4?

You can try Interlaced Progressive option for such material.

1 Like

I found that Iris MQ with lots of dehalo was helpful in dealing with my vhs comb artifacts.

1 Like

I do agree with Iris MQ as in below

DiafdefenderJonas.Dickmark

Akila

8h

I have been fiddling around a bit now with the Interlaced Progressive as I’m currently is trying to get rid of interlace in some old mlv ripped dvd’s.
As for now I found an okey setup as below, hope it might help someone.

This will end up in a quite big file so I use HandBrake to get a better file size

1 Reply

DiafdefenderJonas.Dickmark

Diafdefender

8h

The finnished file will end up smaller than the original mkv file.

hey,

that looks nice. I don’t think you need to use improve detail, sharpen, deblur, reduce noise, frame interpolation, or added grain, though, to perform the decombing… have you tried what just using the Iris MQ model does by itself, would it work with all the settings Manually set to 0? I suspect that might work with less enhancing, too.
Actually, this problems appears different from what I had, my comb-artifact problems were with interlaced ntsc s-vhs tapes that had been digitized as progressive pal, and they only needed Iris MQ with a dehalo between 50-80 to get rid of the comb artifacts. In my case, any attempt to increase improve detail, deblur, add original detail, or sharpen, would invariably counter the correcting effects of dehalo, so that the comb artifacts would re-appear. The best result for my videos came from just using Iris MQ with automatically set revert compression and manually set dehalo, all other settings at 0 (not Relative to Auto, but Manual). I think that my problem was more related to “hard noise” that I had on my S-VHS-sourced videos due to bad digitizing.