What is the best way to deinterlace and upscale films from DVDs using the Dione and Proteus models

:+1: Same feeling hereā€¦

1 Like

CRF at 0 is losslessā€¦ Encode/H.264 ā€“ FFmpeg
However I donā€™t know if VEAI respetec the correct parameters for a true H264 lossless encodingā€¦ :thinking:
I have to do extensive comparations between H264 and FFV1 to see if there are significant differences in quality between the two. @Akila mentioned before in this same topic that he canā€™t spot any difference between the two.
One think Iā€™ve checked in the short tests Iā€™ve done is that FFV1 encoding speed is faster than H264ā€¦ 4minutes for a 42minutes source. If one are processing long sources only that difference in encoding speed is to be taken in account.

2 Likes

like I mentioned before, i got zero knowledge when it comes to Telecine, so I have no idea if it does, I only work with interlaced videos that were shot in itā€™s original fps as it was stored.

if you mean FFV1, I am talking about Hybrid. you can see my screen shot earlier in my post in this thread. FFV1 is basically ffmpeg forking of h264 to my understanding, so i am not expecting any quality difference to be honest, but performance might be different, i think itā€™s a bit quicker then h264.

Yes Iā€™m talking about hybrid, Iā€™m still testing the H264 at the moment. But you say that it is lossless and that the files are therefore large, but they are 95 MB/s in AVI H264, so itā€™s not so big I find :slight_smile:

For TVAIā€™s FFMPEG, x264 or x265 cannot be used, so h264 such as nvenc or qsv must be used.

I looked up the options for h264_nvenc.
As for lossless, it seems to be specified in preset or tune (I havenā€™t tried it).

"C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI\ffmpeg.exe" -h encoder=h264_nvenc

Encoder h264_nvenc [NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder]:
    General capabilities: dr1 delay hardware 
    Threading capabilities: none
    Supported hardware devices: cuda cuda d3d11va d3d11va 
    Supported pixel formats: yuv420p nv12 p010le yuv444p p016le yuv444p16le bgr0 bgra rgb0 rgba x2rgb10le x2bgr10le gbrp gbrp16le cuda d3d11
h264_nvenc AVOptions:
  -preset            <int>        E..V....... Set the encoding preset (from 0 to 18) (default p4)
     lossless        10           E..V....... 
     losslesshp      11           E..V....... 
  -tune              <int>        E..V....... Set the encoding tuning info (from 1 to 4) (default hq)
     lossless        4            E..V....... Lossless

But the problem is that h264_nvenc is limited to 8-bit output.
TVAI 2.x.x has 8bit internal processing so there is little loss, but TVAI 3.x.x has 16bit internal processing so it would be a waste to output at 8bit.

2 Likes

I need to test NVENC to see if there is any speed gains and if at least NVENC lossless quality is on par with Cpu encoding.
Since Iā€™m processing 8bit sources I donā€™t know if I gain anything in outputting to 16bitā€¦it doesnā€™t hurt to try anyway.
Thanks for your info :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! Thought Iā€™d share that ChatGPT is a good sidekick for all these procedures.

https://chat.openai.com/share/c60b9c3c-a669-44ae-901a-3ebe92c3f8b2