I decided to try AI Sharpen using a jpg instead of a tif because of the long processing/saving time for the tif. I thought that perhaps if I used a jpg it might process and save the image faster. It did not, and in fact it took a bit longer to process the jpg than the tif, but that is not the point of this post. Here is the saved jpg:
The original did not look anything like this.
One other point. I have now tried to save images in AI Sharpen as uncompressed tifs, compressed tifs and jpgs. Both the compressed tifs and jpgs are not usable in my workflow software after being processed, although the uncompressed tifs are just fine. I am waiting for the release with the working plugin. Perhaps that might act better.
2018 MacBook Pro, High Sierra, i9 chip, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB memory.
Workflow tools used to call AI Sharpen - CaptureOne.