Were Buckyballs Formed Soon After The Big Bang?

5 Likes

Very cool!

Interesting coincidence - last week I visited an exhibit about the big bang, but I do not remember seeing any buckyballs there… :wink:

2 Likes

well as high symmetry molecules of the bent-benzenoid type they would probably only absorb IR weakly and visible not at all, but would be fairly strong UV absorbers, so mine use false color by necessity :smile:

1 Like

Well, my camera was not set up to take IR or UV, but I will see what shots I did get :wink:

1 Like

I got a big bang out of your artwork …

2 Likes

Aaaaahhh, now I know…they had those in the local supermarket the other day :smile:
Very colorful they are

1 Like

more bang for your bucks @FlickColeman ?

2 Likes

Well, @FlickColeman , I did not see any buckyballs, but does a football count? :smile:
From our visit to the Deutsches Museum, Munich, last week.

2 Likes

Neatest Buckyballs i’ve ever seen! Thanks for the big bang! Creative image.

1 Like

now simply “jealous”

2 Likes

well there is a great deal of similarity between a football (European meaning) and a buckyball, including this picture taken the day after C60 was identified in Smalley’s lab that shows Curl holding a soccerball that was one of their inspirations for the proposed structure

2 Likes

The soccer ball does have it’s uses - had Kroto not been British, from where would the inspiration have originated?
And of course, graphene is the latest carbon discovery

2 Likes

there are a number of legends about the goal of predicting structure on the night of discovery, and several of these have various soccer-ball-like components. The one that I have always liked best is that one of the post-docs or graduate students who was involved brought to work the next day a model built of toothpicks and gumdrops - it was soccer ball shaped but another hungry students ate it before it was memorialized

2 Likes

good story

1 Like

Very cool discussion, @FlickColeman and @el48tel

1 Like