**WARNING** Update with care - NVIDIA Drivers to version 419.17/419.35

So what was the problem you have identified?

I canā€™t wait to see if that helps. When I get home Iā€™m trying the rollback. Thank you

My issue is after few basic edits Topaz i instantly crashes and closes. Anyone else have this issue.

@AiDon

Possibly slightly off topic, but Iā€™m hoping this makes more sense to you than it does to me! Today I checked for driver updates in GeForce Experience, which told me I had the latest version, but, for the first time ever, it decided to show me where I could change my preferences. I decided to have a look and it seems we can choose from two types of driver: ā€œGame Readyā€, which I think is the default, and ā€œCreator Readyā€, so I changed to Creator and was given the option to update to version 419.67, which I decided to do. All seems to be working OK - but Iā€™m now wondering which one we should all be using. Any thoughts? Anybody?

1 Like

Thanks Paul, Iā€™ll try it later and see if that makes a difference, seems to point towards giving Autodesk, Lightroom etc. a better user experience.

1 Like

It really doesnā€™t seem to have made a difference except that it exposes something that may be a associated cause using .NET, the error is:

Application: Topaz Studio.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 000000006A847BF9

Obviously not a really informative message because of the C0000005 error but does point to a old version of .NET which the latest I believe is v4.7.

The Application error is still the same as before:

Faulting application name: Topaz Studio.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c7d9aa8
Faulting module name: nvoglv64.dll, version: 25.21.14.1967, time stamp: 0x5c8de4af
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000af7bf9
Faulting process id: 0x3334
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4e0522823552b
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Topaz Labs\Topaz Studio\Topaz Studio.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvhmci.inf_amd64_ae1709dfc0b251a6\nvoglv64.dll

But this may lead to a closer investigation of the condition that, strangely, only occurs with the File-> Open dialog. Where using the OPEN button on the main screen of Studio, or dragging onto the screen works fineā€¦ so there is a workaround but it is annoying and has been around for over 3 weeks.

@russelltarpley over to you ā€¦

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: NVIDIA using AI to DeNoise Images

YES! Thank you Rondo! Topaz has not worked since I updated my NVIDIA driver about a week ago. I rolled back as you said to do, and voila Topaz works again. Iā€™ve had a ticket in for a few days, I guess I should email back and cancel my ticket? Thanks again!

2 Likes

Version 419.67 (dated March 25th) just released ā€¦ installing now!

Works like a dreamā€¦

1 Like

News from the Topaz- Crash Zone ;-),

today came a Nero 2019 update, since then the current Topaz Studio version crashes again.

Until the update everything worked fine.

Iā€™m staying diplomatic about some software developers now.

This time I donā€™t bother to find the bug anymore, now Iā€™m sitting on another workstation where everything runs on it.

Greetings

1 Like

On Windows You Thought of Switching to DirectX instead of OpenGL? Apple computers mainly use OpenGL(Adobe PhotoShop and Illustrator)inless Adobe also switched to Metal too. Computers that use NVIDIA are running Windows are not OSX . :slight_smile:

The applications themselves use OpenGL, Apple has switched to Metal because it provides near-direct access to the GPU.

You realise this is a user to user forum ā€¦ I donā€™t work for Topaz Labs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have yet to read the whole article (and the linked nVidia pages) on this DPReview thread but there seem to be two (core) variants of the nVidia drivers:-
Game Ready
Creator Ready

I offer this purely for those with the understanding greater than mine to reflect on these two variants and whether choosing one over the other might make things better or worse when running Topaz software that ā€˜reliesā€™ on a good GPU & its drivers to get the best out of the software?

Here is the link Nvidia drivers: PC Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

TIA for any insights?

If you use your PC for playing games choose the Game Ready drivers but if you never play games and use products such as Photoshop the Creator Edition is better as it doesnā€™t install all the game profiles.

1 Like

@JesusSheep Please, this thread is about NVIDIA and has nothing to do with AMD. If you want to add to the conversation please do. Otherwise donā€™t go off on to other topics, start a new thread.

I have Topaz Studio Also with Above Driver Version GTX 1060 Video Card Now.And a Laptop With same software and GTX 1060.

Yes, makes sense and checking a tad more deeply I see that this innovation by nVidia is quite recentā€¦but possibly still relevant to nVidia driver issues in regard Topaz software.

Found this page that echoes your post https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1103956/geforce-drivers/game-ready-drivers-vs-creator-ready-drivers-which-should-i-install-/

Can it be a case in some instances that in the past and maybe in future that Topaz users who also use the same PC to play games are the ones reporting issues with Topaz because of the emphasis on Games in the drivers rather than other software???

1 Like

It could well be because some of the work by NVIDIA was driven by close cooperation with ADOBE ā€¦ but, in my case, the issues I have are not because of games as my PCs are strictly for creative work. I donā€™t even have any games installed but the Creator versions above 418.81 are still crashing.

There is either a timing issue or a .NET issue because the open dialog from the File Menu crashes whereas the open dialog from the center of the display area, which I assume is the same, doesnā€™t cause a crash. I am more inclined to believed that there is a conflict between the code, .NET and the way in which the NVIDIA GPU is used for the display as well as the processing.

In other applications I use, and I believe in PS CC, they only use the NVIDIA GPU for creative work and not display work. For example OS type activities will use the embedded GPU whereas the the high-performance GPU is used for computation and rendering graphics.

It is up to the devs to solve this annoyance.

Strange to say - and without any games either - my Game Ready nVidia driver works perfectly in Creative Mode.

1 Like