Video Enhance v2.6.4

Hi…I have tried your suggestion, but I don’t know if artemis-mqs-1.json is the json for artemis dehalo v1, because for example some other models have the number of the version on the name of the file. If I open artemis-mqs-1.json, in the file appear version 1. I don’t know if I have to create a new file artemis-mqs-2.json and inside write version 2. I have tried to delete the json’s file for artemis in appdata\roaming etc. and in program files\topaz etc. The software works the same.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to be posting, but I can’t create a new thread in the discussion category.

I am currently trying to deinterlace a video with VEAI using the Dione models (Robust & DV). The video is 1080i 59.94fps. When I use either of the Dione models, the resulting output file is a deinterlaced video that flickers black every few seconds. Would anyone know why this is happening? Here is the MediaInfo for the file. (I’m not sure why the MediaInfo says it’s 29.97fps when it definitely isn’t.)

2 Likes

Hi… From 2.4.0 the software doesn’t use the json files anymore. For the trick with the json files you have to use the 2.3.0 version.

hi, so i’m working on interlaced videos too, it gives me the same problem, it’s very disturbing. I had found an alternative with a version of veai so that the video came out well, before I knew veai I always deinterlaced my videos with vegas pro (I still do), because it was the best deinterlacing software, and j 've spent sleepless nights testing others like handbreak, virtual dub, I have tried absolutely everything I think, the problem with the gpu deinterlacing of vegas pro is that at times in the video there are artifacts at the video grain level which are hard to remove with veai when you want to keep almost all the details, on the other hand there is no staircase effect with vegas pro, that’s why for me it’s is the best, then maybe for my case and my old hi8 videos in sd, others will prefer other deinterlacing methods like yadiff, eula, etc …
All that to say that the way that I found with a version of veai, is to produce the video (25i) with vegas pro, with the gpu deinterlacing in the properties, leaving the progressive fields and to produce it in avi (pal, yuv or uncompressed) in 25 fps, bottom fields first, deinterlacing each frame. By then passing it in veai, the problem was solved, the problem is that either I find more of the video settings that I made before producing with vegas pro, or it is the version of veai that gives me anyway those black sparkles on the movements.
And if ever a developer reads me, it’s really the dione dv and dione tv part that I would like it to be seen again, because for my part these are family videos that date from 1996 to 2002, very important videos with which I have been working on for 6 years because I am really picky about the quality. :slight_smile:

For your case if you want, send me a part of the basic video to see what I can do, because as much with my method, it can work, and I surely found another solution yesterday, from now on I will be more motivated to work on my videos because I just went from a gtx 1660 to an rx 6900 xt, and I’m happy to see how much the processing time has reduced so much! :slight_smile:

29.97 is the final frame rate based on a complete frame, both are technically true for interlaced. The publisher of the disc has defined each pass, odd and even, as it’s own frame hence 59.94.

I have yet to see a deinterlacer that tops QTGMC. I tried Dione on several videos and had poor results. I don’t know why the VEAI devs thought a motion compensating deinterlacer could be created with machine learning.

Note with QTGMC if you are planning on feeding it to VEAI (this is mega important), you need QTGMC to do a sloppy deinterlace, leaving noise and detail alone. The reason is because VEAI removes the noise and needs maximum detail to work.

This is from my Lucky Girl upscale post:
QTGMC( Preset=“Slower”, EZKeepGrain=0.01, SourceMatch=3, Lossless=2, Sharpness=1.0, Sbb=0 )
SelectEven()

This is a variation of QTGMC creator -Vit-'s most accurate settings, QTGMC( Preset=“Very Slow”, EZKeepGrain=0.5, SourceMatch=2, Lossless=2, Sharpness=0.1, Sbb=0 ), which does no denoising, only deinterlaces.

I purposely ignored the warning about high sharpness settings in lossless mode, and it worked fine. Why it worked, I don’t know; this was after a month of working on this video, so rules got tossed in favor of crazy experimentation.

1 Like

hola, qtgmc, I’ve never come to understand how it works, I’ve heard about it but I don’t think I’ve tried, what do you have to download to try?

1 Like

You can use a program with a front end / GUI (general user interface), for example StaxRip or Hybrid.

Personally, I prefer StaxRip. You can google the avisynth-wiki and search “QTGMC” - it’s quite detailed and explains what the functionality of QTGMC represents (which are a lot of useful tools and settings), the only drawback is that you have to experiment with the settings a bit and it takes a while to get the hang of it. But once you get more used to actually using strings/commands and numbers to tell the function what to apply, it becomes easier.

In the beginning it took me a bit, but now it has become quite easy for me. I even know most of the functions I need by heart, sometimes I just have to take a look, since I don’t always remember how some settings are defined (in numbers).

Okay but why is it so complicated all this for a deinterlacing? there are no presets according to video sources ??

1 Like

That’s the difference between an open Source software with people working on it from all around the world, and thinking “as a programmer” and not as a “user”, and a team like Topaz, where they do software for user and being usuable by most people. I agree that QTGMC provide better result, for the few i used with deinterlacing with VEAI (I use QTGMC), but yes, it’s need a bit of work to understand how it’s work. (and it’s much worst without StarxRip !)

3 Likes

Ok thank you! I’ll get started then, it works well with videos source pal sd 25i to deinterlace in 50p?

it’s really a matter of preference. for me i’m pleased with the result and i don’t use such great settings as videogreek, but yes, i use it with Pal 25fps to 50fps, and it’s pretty nice.

Love the new build!
suraj,
is it possible to have a model for Animation? like old cartoons which are in SD and we would like to have as HD/2k/4k.
So far Artemis low Quality does good job. but it has issues with things like fire, water…etc (for cartoons, you know, 80’s cartoons like transformers, gijoe…etc)

I believe the Gaia Computer Graphics model is the one optimised for animation. It might be worth giving that a go if you haven’t already (but be warned it is a fair bit slower).

hola, indeed staxrip is great with qtcm and bwdif gives me good results too! it is not very complicated to apply, the only problem is that qtcm does not double the frame rate for me, or I have not found the right parameter. So it also works when I deinterlace my video with vegas at 50 fps and import it into staxrip, I apply qtcm, it works fine, even better than when it is interlaced. the only small problem is that I have the impression that it compresses the video slightly, I still lack a bit of detail even if the artifacts present before have disappeared, that’s great. For the adjustment, there is qtcm, and qtcm with repair, repair details, full repair, and just repair and repair 16, what is the difference between all that? thank you very much!

You can use QTGMC in StaxRip to “double” the framerate - or perhaps rather to “restore full fields”, setting on this would be as follows: InputType=0 (but that would mean that StaxRip only accepts “truly” interlaced input), so if you were to feed a source into StaxRip that is interlaced at 25 FPS (2 half fields at 25 FPS actually), it would give you a progressive output with 50 FPS, because it would now have full fields restored.

I found, it’s “qtgmc interlaced” good it works well, and it removes artefacts well while keeping the “maximum” quality, I try a passage of video that I will send for veai. :slight_smile: On the other hand the treatment is long, I see that it produces in h265 (I selected placebo) but all the same for a 720 x 576 video and an rx 6900 xt, we would say that it does not use the graphics card. I also can’t find where I can change the options to output in avi, at different bitrates etc.

I don’t have an AMD card so can’t confirm that, but the software support GPU acceleration for Intel Graphics and Nvidia/Cuda.
are you sure there is not the option for AMD ? you need to make the saving parameters yourself ! so modifiying the output (H264, 265; mkv mp4 etc …)

Okay, I don’t know for amd, I didn’t find or I can see that, or even the backup settings, on the right it’s written h265, mkv and I can choose the bitrate that’s all. I watch as soon as my video finishes happening, about 1 hour more…

For de-interlacing and not have the framerate doubled (so to keep it at 25fps) i use this line :smiley:
QTGMC(preset=“medium”, InputType=0, sourceMatch=3, Lossless=2, FPSDivisor=2)

I remember clearly that if i remove the FPSdivisor, the framerate is doubled to 50/60 fps. check better your parameter line, there is certainly something to make it work the way you want.