Video Enhance v2.6.4

do people really want a pause I can see that to cause using the full vram limit in the settings can crash well the whole internet had that happen mutiple times

I dont have really any other complaint other then the long renders

The same thing happens with the folders under appdata and program files

I was reading on why most programs leave registry and folders with data in the AppData locations in Windows. First most people don’t realize that most developers don’t write the install/uninstall routines. They purchase them as stand alone programs or use ones that might come with the compilers. If you watch the install process in VEAI you will see that Topaz is using VMware InstallBuilder. This is not a cheap program at $7000.00 for a site license for 5 people. These installers follow very strict Microsoft guidelines.

Also the AppData/Roaming folders generally don’t exist until after the installed program runs the first time. What this means is the installer does not know those folders exist and can’t remove them. Also as a recommendation those folders should not be removed even after uninstalling because other software might be referencing data in those folder. That same principle applies to the registry. That is why every special uninstall or registry cleaning program should warn the user to do a backup or a restore point before executing. The AppData/Roaming folders are also considered the users folders and not an admin access only folder and thus any program can access those folders even if they did not create them.

This is why my preference is for software that never uses the registry other than for maybe file extension associations. Other wise they use the appdata folders and or the main software folders. This is also where the the file type ".ini " comes in. If used properly by a windows developer it can replace the registry entries. The problem is it can grow to large sizes and in the past cause a program to be a bit slower. Today that is not a problem. But it can be reset simply by overwriting with a baseline default file.

I wonder how I got this: model-bug

Whatever installer they are using it’s not very good.

I have multiple programs that give the option to ‘delete user settings/preferences’ upon uninstall which deletes all traces of the program when uninstalling.

Why can’t Topaz provide that?

That would be a question for Topaz.

If your other programs are not using the Windows Registry than it’s very possible to do that. If they are using the registry and no new registry entries are made while the program is run it might be possible. If the other programs are ignoring Microsoft recommendations than it’s possible. All I know in the 20 Plus years of the Windows Registry most programs always leave items in the Registry when uninstalled. They also leave folders and files all over a Windows installation. The hidden ProgramData folder, Personal folders for pictures, games, videos and so on. AppData/Roaming, AppData/Local. All the different ‘Common Files’ folders. A folder where you would think files would be deleted as soon as a program finished is the AppData/Roaming/Temp folder. That folder can grow to a massive size and many programs never clear the those files. Even Windows Disk Cleanup utility doesn’t touch that directory.

All of this is why programs like CCleaner, Glary Utilities and so many other programs that advertised as being registry/system cleaners were so popular in the late 90’s and 2000’s up till Windows 10. In Windows 10 the registry/system bloat and cross corruption was greatly improved but sadly programs still leave entries when uninstalled.

I don’t know if Topaz or Topaz products are used within programs like Photoshop or Premier but if they are than that might be a reason why they would not delete things. If they did than those programs might have errors after hooking in to a Topaz program or parameter that was suddenly missing. Software is not easy. Now add in other OS’s and differing hardware it gets even more complicated.

All this is just my years of observations which goes way back. I have zero knowledge of what Topaz is doing.

I will say for my use case I am completely satisfied with 2.6.1. I’ve had little to no problems with it. The occasional I drop a video after deleting one and the program crashes but it starts up correctly and in seconds and works after. I have enough horsepower to run multiple instances of the software( up to 3) on both of my video processing computers so I don’t generally do batch runs unless I know they will be using the same settings. And I only use Proteus v3 and mostly the Auto setting is working for my videos. I do preprocess some videos and I post process all videos as I use MP4 and a CF of 5. Speed is fine and so much better than it was when I started with 1.2.1. Again this is just my use case though. Everyone else is very different and would hope that they could have and will have the same satisfaction I have very soon. That’s on Topaz to provide.

1 Like

Another issue for me, drag and drop to open a video is not working, I have to browse and open them. When dragging videos the cursor just turns into the circle with the line through it:

But at some point, out of vanity or company branding, they changed the name of the folders and keys in the registry (and that’s fine), but they didn’t finish. They didn’t take the old ones out and exclusively use the new ones. That’s just shoddy workmanship, whoever did it. If you can’t look at the structure that your own program creates and realize that it’s duplicating itself, something is off.

Also, the appdata folders
it appears that one set is created during install, one is created at first run. So one is probably in the installer and one is in the program itself. I expect the registry keys are the same.

1 Like

Is using sharpen AI on the frames of a video OK? or does it cause issues since it doesn’t take into account the frame before/after? Or is it suitable just very slow considering how many frames are in a video?

which system do you use ? Windows 11 ? if it’s win11 , it’s normal, drag and drop using taskbar doesn’t work for every software.

Actually it gives very good results using auto-settings as I was also afraid of some jitter/flicker. Maybe better avoiding the “focus” model as it is the one that can give the more unexpected results.
But yes it is very very slow for video. Only use for a very short clip or a short specific part of a video you want to fix or add a slow-motion.

1 Like

Moving to the GPU would be very welcome! Please use my 32 M1 Max GPU cores! :grin:

2 Likes

do you run maybe the software with administrator rights or the one you take the files from ? it can be one of the reason.

I remember there was this issue in a previous version. but i switched to W11 in july so can’t check if i have this issue too. If nothing has “administrator rights” in the property of one of the app you use to do the drag and drop to VEAI, can’t help unfortunatly. let’s see if someone else has this issue.

Solved it, it was due to launching the program as Administrator (with the option checked on the shortcut). I had set this to ‘on’ when trying to fix the broken install process/freeze at launch. Turned it off and I can drag and drop now. Thanks.

1 Like

Proteus fine tune v3

Can I use it in non automatic mode for a group of videos?

I regulate manually first video of the list but others go anyway in automatic!

There is an “option” to do this, but not easy to understand / explain, because i do all the time the mistake.
but you can do this with the edit all button. when checking all the videos and editing some parameters, it apply them to the other videos. try a bit with the button etc, until it’s work.
another way, is to import one video as your first video, make the necessary adjustement, and then import all the other videos. all imported videos in batch after the first one will have the same parameters than the first one (if my memory is correct).

1 Like

Got the same issue. It seems that 2.6.1 don’t like exotic video resolutions. If I choose a video that don’t have video standard resolutions, the software crashes. For example, 854x480 crashes, 320x240 crashes but 640x480 it’s ok, 720p, 1080 are ok. I troubleshooted with even weirder resolution like 616x480 and the soft crashes. I hope Topazlabs team will correct that cause the very same videos that crashes MacOS version (I use also a M1 Max) don’t crash on 2.6.1 on PC.

2 Likes

Hi, a new beta has been released, and the dev tell this in the changelog and told it befor as well, maybe it can fix your issue, if you’re not already in this situation :

“Certain mp4 videos crash the app on native M1, run app in rosetta2 for now”

(he tells it should be fixed in 2.7)

1 Like

I’m quite surprise that M1 Max is only beating but such a margin. I thought it would be around 50% :stuck_out_tongue: I use 2.6.1 on M1 Max and I’m quite satisfied although the software seems not totally optimized for Apple Silicon. Not as reactive as the PC version. I guess, Topaz team will continue to optimize the software and maybe use more of the technologies on M1, M1 Pro and M1 Max. I wonder if the neural engine of the Apple Silicon is used or can be used in VEAI or just the GPU cores.