Video Enhance AI v1.8.1

Yeah, more options are always good, I’m sure Artemis v9 must please some people. I guess I’m frustrated that it changed so much, but we can’t have the older versions in the same product as an additional option. If they do adapt older models in future releases, that would be great!

Thanks for the answer.

1 Like

I didn’t install the RC, because I wasn’t impacted by the bugs that were fixed. I do normally keep up with release versions regardless, so I just downloaded and installed 1.8.1.

Question: Am I the only one that used the option to put the models somewhere other than the Users folder (Windows)? 1.8.1 did not offer that option, and overwrote the registry entry that told it where to look for the models so now they are back in Users! Sigh.

1 Like

I encountered a bug on version 1.8.1. While trying to move a movie from 1280 x 720 to 1920 x 1080, I encountered a worrying bug. The export of the final sequence had a shorter duration than the original file. The duration of the film is 1h54. The duration of the upscaled film was 1h49. So when I edited it, with the original 5.1 audio track, I had a big sound lag. Strangely, I don’t have that with TV series from 720 x 576 to 1920 x 1080.

It’s a pity because the quality of the final image with the Artemis v9 model was really excellent. Very sharp, very fine and without grain. Really clean.
The frame rate of the film is 23.976 frames per second. I don’t know if it makes a difference.

1 Like

I get:

“Sorry, you can’t put images in a post”

One 49k the other is 79k. They are .png maybe it doesn’t like Macs

Yes this is very subjective, on good sources I prefer Artemis V8 but nothing still beats GAIA-HQ in terms of fine textured details and retaining original grain. Artemis V9 seems good because it polished and clean things out and is very suitable for sources with harsh compression artifacts.
Now I can see what would be the ideal model : Artemis V9 cleaning + motion consistency with GAIA-HQ texture and fine details.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to suggest you purposefully deceived anyone, it’s just that the version 1.8.0 RC (non-beta) had the feature to keep your models and some users had logically assumed this would continue in 1.8.1. So, in a way they were tricked, even if they tricked themselves into that assumption. Personally, I didn’t take the leap of faith, so I backed up my models folder before installing.

Your release notes, for reference:

VEAI 1.8.0 Release Candidate is here:

• Updated Artemis v9 models with more training.
  • Updated model descriptions.
  • Can select custom models folder on Windows.

Clean install button in the installers for Mac and Windows (uncheck to keep old models)

• Fixed grid patterns problem in some output videos
  • Fixed broken -scale -w -ht command-line options
  • Improved output mp4/mov stability.
  • Only support mono or stereo audio input.
  • Fixed default output filename bugs.
  • Many small bug fixes.

I agree with your ideal model. Perhaps it will be possible with Artemis v14 or certainly by v20. :grin:

1 Like

It was actually in the 1.8.0 RC (non-beta), also posted as a preview release, as per @aykutbozkurt post above.

1 Like

I reduce them to 10k each still will not take it

1 Like

Hey there, we made a decision before the final release to remove it for the general public and give it another round in BETA,

we are very sorry that this has been frustrating for you.
Thank you for your feedback and this feature will continue to be developed in BETA so I hope you will check out those releases as they become available.

Thanks.

Hi there, this custom models directory feature is still in BETA, please look out for updates regarding this feature in the BETA in the near future. Thanks.

Hi there, can you please send us the video you used to recreate this bug? Thanks.

Please submit it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/T8jqk4Zey3t6dO4VSsKO

And respond back in a post letting us know the name of the video so we can find it in the Dropbox.

Thanks so much for reporting this.

Hi there, these are the current constraints on image attachments in this forum, we can consider to up the max file size but I will have to run this by another admin and get back to you on this at a later time.

55%20PM

Ok. Thanks for the feedback.
We are very sorry for any frustration.

As mentioned before this feature is still being developed,

We did not want to include mention of it in the release notes for the stable public releases because most users are not BETA testers and would therefore not be aware of the feature in the first place,

so if we included in the change logs that that feature was removed for PR release, it would not make sense to that larger audience that has no context on that feature.

We will consider how to communicate so that you and other users do not feel deceived that a feature has moved or not been included somewhere.

please do remember that features introduced into BETA are never guaranteed to propogate forward into another release. They are in BETA to be tested, and may change functionality between releases.

Thanks.

Yes, it was in both the BETA and the RC, but not included in the final release. That is correct. Thanks.

You know the numbers you present would appear to show the video being saved at 25fps. If you are using Windows (I don’t know where a Mac keeps this info) look in the registry for the value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Topaz Labs LLC\Video Enhance AI\outputFPS. If that number is 25 it is your answer. It should have a value of zero to automatically use the input value, and if it ever gets changed to something else all videos will output with that value. I’m told that future versions of VEAI will ignore the value, but for now a bad setting is a problem. I’ve posted about running into it here before.

1 Like

Hi there, I would like to log this issue, I have requested @Harald.De.Luca to submit to dropbox a video he was able to reproduce this issue with.

thank you for your comment about the settings.

Logging this issue for development and sprint planning. Thank you very much for posting @deeImgGuy

I don’t know if I can do that because it’s a movie. Not a simple amateur video.
And I know it’s not very legal to share movies.
But I’m just going to give you the name of the movie. and you have to take a 1280 x 720 version to recreate the bug.
Name of the movie: Jack the Giant Slayer (2013)

Roger that. Thank you very much, we will use this information to try to recreate the issue and fix the bug.

thanks