Video Enhance AI v1.7.1

What you mean by ‘broken’? GCG 1.7.1 gets pretty close to GCG 1.6.1 in quality and I haven’t had too many crashes (but I guess it could crash with whatever model I use) comparing to 1.6.1. In fact I was rendering an project last week, and if it wasn’t for a blackout due to heavy rain, I could be finishing it right now (it was a 8-day project, 8h video from 720p to 5k). I was going to divide it in 4 parts and use 1.6.1, but comparing images from 1.7.1 and 1.6.1 I didn’t see the need to keep 1.6.1 for this project

If you look at the release notes, the quality issue is a “known issue”.

• Gaia-CG model has not been recovered to 1.6.1 quality.

The video I’m processing looks really, really bad in 1.7.1 but rolling back to 1.6.1 fixes it. I haven’t had any crashing with the program in any version, but the quality is important to me.

1 Like

CLOSE doesn’t mean ‘the same’

At least for my videos it’s mostly the same, but yes I keep both installed for the cases when 1.7.1 is not as good.
Artemis HQ was broken some release ago, as it would create weird artifacts in pretty much any video you processed with that. Gaia in 1.7.1 is not broken it’s just not as good as 1.6.1 in some cases

Bitdefender total security detected “Topaz Video Enhance AI.exe” 1.7.1 as “gen:variant.ulise.136449” virus and deleted the file :frowning: I don’t know what’s the problem caused this :man_shrugging:

Same dude, can’t even install it anymore.

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: Windows 7 & Video Enhance AI

I’m in total agreement. Plus IMO, Windows 10 is ugly and hard to use due to lack of contrast and the ribbon in Windows Explorer (yes I know they changed it for no good reason to “File Explorer”). And this is after I tweaked it with Classic Shell and other mods to look just like Windows 2000 complete with Quick Launch, Show Desktop, and a proper Taskbar (I do this to all my Windows and Linux boxes).

Fact: No operating system I use is secure (even Linux is riddled with exploits). Windows 10 is possibly LESS secure than Windows 7 or XP because hackers generally target the most used operating systems. Just practice safe computing, have lots of offline backups, use Acronis True Image (or equiv.) and you’ll be fine. Put together a Linux Mint box (not hugely different in appearance than XP or 7) for web browsing.

I use VNC to access all my PCs from my main XP box. My web browsing Linux box runs on VWWare Player 4 on Windows 7. I often use older software versions as they run faster without the bloat. All accessible via VNC.

2 Likes

There is something wrong in the frame server of VEAI 1.7.1
I kept having output all jerky and stutter. At first I brushed it off as remote computer image, or streaming the large files over the network.
Got my local machine up and checked the output frame by frame. The output is skipping every 3rd frame, or 7 frames in a row or every second frame.
I opened up the source in VEAI and just used the arrow keys to watch the input. The frame skips are at the input source of VEAI! I checked all 5 source files that came out bad. Just open in VEAI and checking frames the skips are present before any encoding. Open those sources in any player and they have all frames no skips. I tried converting the source clips to a difference codec AV1/x264/x265. No change all play correctly in media player (VLC/MPC-HC) all checking frames in VEAI skip the frames. I checked this on 4 different computers. All reproduce the issue in VEAI both in the program seeking frames, in preview and in the final output.
THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE.
Others mentioned it above and we just wrote them off. I thought that they where using Cell Phone video which is known to skip frames during recording. Nope, this is confirmed and infinitely repeatable.
I have 4 sources showing this in just this week since getting 1.7.1.

I installed 1.3.8 back on a machine and the issue is not present. In program window seeking frames, in preview, and in final output all check out. Repeat, none of the sources showing issues with 1.7.1 show issues with 1.3.8.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I changed power supply from 450W to quality 700W (FSP Hyper K PRO 700), but this is not enough for VEAI? :open_mouth:
Hmm… And why crash after two or three video encoding? After power off and on not helped, crash again while try again. I think this is a no cleaned buffer or driver problem. :roll_eyes:

Try running the Reduce GPU load and middle VRAM slider.

1 Like

Yes. I’m one of those that noticed it a few weeks ago. I’ve noticed it most when the source video is actually a video that VEAI has already processed. I do a denoise/deblock pass before upscaling, and the issue only happens when upscaling a VEAI file. Not every file is like this, but every time it has happened, the source is a VEAI-enhanced file. The denoised/deblocked files are fine. Upscaling and skipping the denoise/deblock “fixes” this. Source video + VEAI = OK, but VEAI source + VEAI = rapid frame skipping and duplication.

Maybe not. What CPU and videocard are you using? I bought a 850watt Seasonic for my new build with potentially 350w to the GPU and 200w to the CPU. I hope Seasonic is honest with their specs.

Source filters are a big deal with video. It’s difficult in some cases to get it right. I’m amazed MPC-HC does as well as it does with all the issues I have in Avisynth.

Forget DirectShowSource. Not frame accurate and will cause QTGMC to fail. I have to use DGDecNV for AVC1. DGAVCDecode and LSMASHSource are not reliable. For MPEG2- LSMASHSource, FFMpegsource2, and DGMPGDec may not work properly (incorrect frame count) and I fall back to VirtualdubMPEG2, which so far has been flawless (I just Save to avi using Huffyuv). I present only a Lagarith compressed avi (with no audio) to VEAI. Done that way, I’ve had no issues.

5KW?! WTH?!? Get a new gpu.

If it’s not connected then it won’t download VEAI, thus not relevant

For StatCounter, ‘Desktop’ category counts both ‘desktop’ and ‘laptop’. The other categories are Mobile (for smatphones) and tablet.

VEAI installer can download from another computer.
VEAI upscaling video does not require interconnection.

To TPX re: 5KW?! WTH?!? Get a new gpu.

5KW (5000 watts) is not the same thing as 5KWH (5000 watt-hours). The first is a measure of instantaneous power, the second is a measure of energy. This is a common error I see in print and the web. For some reason folks have difficulty understanding the difference.

5KWH is 50 cents a day where I live. Yawn.

I’m getting a RTX3080 and RX6800XT when they start shipping in quantity. They use about the same power or more (same or more heat) compared to the GTX1080Ti I currently use. They offer 3 to 4 times more compute capability per unit of energy. I don’t live near a Microcenter (to camp out at) and refuse to pay scalping prices on eBay, so I’ll be patient.

Water cooling has too many issues for me to seriously consider it. There’s a good reason data centers use chilled air for cooling- it’s reliable and it doesn’t leak. The window AC is only temporary until I build the mini-datacenter this winter.

1 Like

VEAI actually needs connection for validation of your key AND to download fast models

I have i7-3770 CPU, and Radeon RX 460 GPU with 4 GB, and FSP Hyper K PRO 700 power supply. With Gaia or Artemis mode get crash after initialize, but with Theia-detail not, can I encode two or three short 3GP videos, and after get crash. Like have a buffer or any temp, what run over and get overload.

I can clone the system image <finish VEAI install, validation and download models> to no interconnection computer.