Video Enhance AI v.1.3.8 - Theia models, MAC GPU support and stability improvement

On my Mac Pro (2013) with dual AMD FirePro 700s (12GB total) v. 1.2.3 would only upscale in Gaia-HQ mode. Artemis-HQ would run at 100% (Denoise/DeBlock) or if I set custom scale to 100%, otherwise I got black screens.

In v 1.3.8 I can upscale videos in all modes. Not all that impressed with the Theia models but I haven’t really fully exploded it yet to get a better output. Artemis is by far the fasters model and results in better output (for me) than Theia. However the best model is STILL Gaia-CG. The only problem is it does not use the GPU. I can see both Theia and Artemis models GPU usage in Activity Monitor. Gaia is 1000+ CPU and ZERO GPU.

I need to go back and re-run a previous upscaled Gaia vid to see if it’s slower than before, but it IS slow. I did note that the few conversion I’ve done using v 1.3.8 Gaia were actually faster than the estimated time.

1 Like

I’ve just posted elsewhere about VE killing my CPU and thus battery. Like you I’m using Gaia CG which is leagues ahead of everything else (computer generated or not). Does it really not use the GPU? Any way to check?

Any way to fix the audio being out of sync?

Bring up Activity Monitor and click the GPU tab. It will show you all apps currently using GPU and the percentile.

Thanks. I actually found an app that lets you switch between the Radeon and the default GPU. The Radeon is faster, but still slow!

What’s the app?

Gfxcardstatus https://gfx.io/

Thanks!

Well to partly answer my own question. fgnet4-HiFi-tf.tz does not exist in the location referenced.

Developer. Any ideas? Something got left out?

regards

And to add a bit more information. I downloaded the newest version of Gigipixel AI. I assume Video Enhance uses something similar per frame. Anyway on a MacPro 2010, 12 processor, 2.93 GHz running OS 10.14.6. Where the video card is a Radian RX 590 with 8 GB.

It took ~34 minutes to convert using the CPU with default settings.
It took ~4 minutes to convert using the GPU with default settings.
About an 8 fold decrease.

Now if they could just get Video Enhance to run on a 2010 MacPro, running 10.14.6 using the GPU. The logs for the current crashing for 1.3.8 are in my two messages above.

regards

I have photos of the lines I’m referring to with the Gaia CG and HQ models, unfortunately, I am unable to post the image.

spookanicka: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Hi,
I get quite good results for old DVDs with “Theia-Detail”
Restore Detail 100
Sharpen 90
Reduce Noise 10.

I’m now trying to get it to work with cmd, but there is no documentation.

1 Like

can you tell which “old dvd” you tried it ? to give an idea and using the same setting on similar picture as a test ?

I switch from Gaia-CG to Theia-Detail to convert The Brady Bunch series from PAL DVD source. Theia-Detail is not so plastic looking, like Gaia-CG. I can see details like the freckles on Peter’s face (don’t laugh) with Theia-Detail, but not so much with Gaia-CG. Seems those details are lost with Gaia-CG.

1 Like

I believe the image posted, let me know if you can see it.

From post:
I wanted to be a little more detailed with what I meant with the lines in the Gaia models. I’m aware of the “grid” pattern but this is something else. The attached photos shows the lines, almost like a band or a crease, across the middle of the image. It seems to do this with both CG and HQ Gaia models at any resolution. Sometimes it will stay for the entire duration of the upscale, other times it will go away in a few frames. It’s quite a mystery but it appears to have something to with de-noising, would be my guess.

My GPU is the 980 TI, so maybe it’s an issue with 900 series cards or maybe other people are experiencing this as well? It renders quite fast though, the 980 TI really is underappreciated, thank you for the compatibility support.

Ignore the setting of the image, it’s from an old high school feature film of mine I’m restoring and will be glad to share when it’s finished.

Imgur

Is it possible to bring back the check mark to show which GPU/CPU has been selected? it’s very hard as I have x2 2080 TIs and I have to guess which one is selected as there is no indicator like the check marks that used to appear in front of the name of the GPU/CPU.

Please fix the 8KUHD preset. I literally can’t process any videos without the being file being corrupted after completion.

I began with Star Trek Voyager (PAL). First deinterlacing with ffmpeg and then my settings. The eyes look strange in the preview, but with output in .mp4 they look fine.

When you open the drop down one should be bold.