Very disappointed in image quality

Using Photo AI as a raw plugin to Lightroom Classic. Image quality (color, sharpness) are not what they should be. Topaz preview window renders an acceptable result, but final upsized file is unuseable.
Steps to reproduce issue:

1. In Lightroom - File > Pulug-in Extras > Topaz Photo AI
  2. Resize in Topaz from 5184px to 14400px, using autopilot settingV1.2.1
  3. Save file to Lightroom

Topaz Photo AI [v1.x.x] on [Windows/Mac]
V 1.2.10 on Mac OS Monteray

Hi @jim-3304, can you upload some examples of your before/after images to this thread for us to see? As long as the files are below 65MB you should be able to attach them directly.

Thanks!

Hi! OK, I’ve been doing more investigation. First off, the DNG file is way too large to send. However, I’m attaching screen grabs of my experience. I had trashed the DNGs created by Toapz and was about to completely delete them when I noticed the DNG preview thumbnail was the different in color When I opened the file in Apple Preview, the file looked like the unmodified, original RAW file. So, I think there is an issue with how Adobe Camera RAW is interpreting the Topaz DNG file for display and editing, unless this is for some reason a special issue with this file.

IME, a DNG file will often be greater than 65MB because they are typically 2-4 times the size of the Raw. For example, just yesterday an OP here was complaining about the size of their DNG’s that were 240MB.

Is this 65MB limit arbitrary?

1 Like

LOL, my upscaled DNG file is nearly 1 GB…

@jim-3304 could you click on the Reset button in Lightroom for the output file and let me know if that changes the color back to expected?

If you have the original file on hand, please send it to me so I can share this color shift with my team and we can investigate it.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request