VEAI Models + Performance Guide

Interesting, I didn’t realize Gaia-CG in v1.2.0 and today’s v6 were that close. Did you also compare Gaia-HQ original and v6?

Yes. And Gaia v6 is unsable. Gaia v5 has grid pattern issue, but it’s rare. Only happens with trees and grass something greeny. But Gaia v6 has all over the video and very noticeable. So v5 is still better than v6.

Thanks for posting this guide, it and the discussion that follows are VERY helpful to newer users like me. I didn’t notice frame rate mentioned, maybe I missed it…Where in the flow would frame rate increase best go? Before/after upscaling? My original thinking was that it would be the first step (I suppose skipped if de-interlacing is done), then upscaling/other processing done afterward.

I guess I might as well throw this one out there too. I have some concert videos where the “obligatory Hendrix perm” ends up looking like a helmet. I’ve tried all models when upscaling (in a moderate step). I’m guessing this is one of the harder problems for this software (especially in a concert setting where there are a lot of lighting effects going on as well), but has anyone come up with something (even proteus-related general suggestions) that comes close?

For me currently, I deinterlace with QTGMC (for some unimportant videos) and Adobe Premiere Pro deinterlacing for MBAFF videos. I’m personally not happy with Dione models because of artifacts, smoothened out image and incomplete deinterlacing.

Thanks - I’ll look in to that.

Yes, I have. Gaia-HQ is ‘traditionally’ very finicky. Some video sources look the same with this filter applied (v1.2.0 vs v6), others look slightly smoother with the old Gaia-HQ(v1.2.0). I haven’t found an entire movie yet where Gaia-HQ would have been my #1 choice. It can look good in some scenes, and quite terrible in others. It is also very noise-sensitive and unforgiving when it comes to film defects.

Gaia-CG(v6) is producing a very distinct texture. Like a printed image in a newspaper. You scan it, you enlarge it, and the printer grid and ink dots become visible. It’s very strange looking.

My personal #1 choices these days are Artemis-HQ(v9) or (v12).
AHQv12 is a general purpose, high quality filter for good DVD sources.
AHQv9 is slightly softer and more forgiving when it comes to imperfections and noise.

I have upscaled “The Gods must be crazy” (1980) twice last week (4k).
Artemis-MQ(v12) seemed to be the perfect choice after extensive preview tests, because it handles excessive film grain very well. It worked for the most part, but a campsite scene revealed ugly facial artefacts on the beautiful main actress…

Back to the drawing board. AHQ(v9) turned out to be the better and more consistent filter in this case. The PNG output was between 1.5TB and 1.6TB for this movie (156,928 frames).

Good to know, thanks.

https://wccftech.com/amd-microsoft-bring-tensorflow-directml-to-life-4x-improvement-with-rdna-2-gpus/

2 Likes

That’s a positive move from AMD. I hope that will be the real performance we will get from an AMD GPU. But if AMD can do this, will Nvidia be able to do the same?

I’ve actually been playing around with Theia Fidelity more lately and think it’s underappreciated. It’s been great for upscaling content as-is while also doing light cleanup to deblock/sharpen, better than even Gaia IMO. I’ve had fewer cases of weird monster faces or things where the upscaler tried too hard and made it look weird. In cases where there’s not a lot of detail to work with, it does a good job of just upscaling it as much as it can without making it look offputting. It’s become my most-used model.

You need to use grain if you want to avoid weird faces. It reduces the artifacts and makes them less noticeable.

1 Like

Which GAIA? There are two, HQ and CG.

Both, mostly Gaia HQ.

Ty for information!