VAI crash

my Video AI crash as soon as I click on the icon. it appears in task manager for 2 sec, then crash and disappear from task manager. the UI never loads, it crashes before it has an opportunity to load the UI

logs.zip (1.8 KB)
Crashes.zip (88.7 KB)

It seems like you may have modified your encoders.json incorrectly which is causing this crash to occur. Can you please send me your encoders.json file?

The file will be found here: C:/ProgramData/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Video AI/models/encoders.json

Next, try a clean reinstall without modifying encoders.json;

1. Uninstall Topaz Video AI

2. Delete the AppData > Roaming Folders for Topaz Video AI
    As a note, this folder will be hidden. To view this file, select View > Show Hidden, and here is the path;
    C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\ Topaz Labs LLC\ Topaz Video AI

3. Delete Registry Entries using the steps below:
    Open program RegEdit from your Start menu explorer and delete the registry entries of Topaz Video AI

I. Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Topaz Labs LLC\ Topaz Video AI
4. Reboot Computer
5. Reinstall

I found the issue. I have in my “C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI\models” “encoders-mysettegs.json” which have my custom encoder settings I use to copy the entries into the encoders.json every time I update my VAI since it deletes all the json files during upgrade.
the values are fine as when I copy them into the encoders.json file, TVAI works fine and those encoders function as expected. the issue is that since v3.3.0 TVAI started reading all json files from the directory trying to load them and not just to try load the ones they need (Topaz json files). up until v3.2.9 my file in the model directory caused no issues as it was ignored by TVAI. but now in v3.3.0 it causes the crash.
once i renamed the file to “encoders-mysettings.txt” it stopped crashing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.