V7 Feedback

Hi.

My experience is that the installer failed on uninstalling the previous version 6 and aborted. I manually started the install and it worked.

I tried upscaling some low resolution wildlife pictures of birds using the standard model V2 and was blown away by the results. I was able to get a really natural looking upscale without introducing visual artefacts.

I’d say the result was no worse looking than the original in terms of how the detail looks and perhaps a bit better. I’m talking about things like feathers and eyes that can end up looking a bit like splodges rather than fine detail.

Andy

Have been running Gigapixel AI 7.0 on several images now. I Have the following comments:

• Far too slow compared to previous version 5.2.2 !!!
  • Tried to upscale and improve Sony ARW & DNG images + Apple HEIC to about 130 %
  • Cannot save HEIC & JPG files as DNG (worked nice in the old version - need to save as tiff)
  • Improved far more natural image quality compared to previous verions (used High fidelity 2 &
    Standard V2 models only)
  • in some cases I blended PS upscale + Gigapixel AI images to 33-50% with Gigapixel AI to get more
    natural look of the images
  • Error on brighter square pattern on darker images in 5.2.2 solved!
  • The save menu options actually worked better in the older version regarding file naming. I’d prefer
    the standard Windows (2 ), (3 ) etc applied to the various fileversions.
2 Likes

Had troubles downloading and installing but finally got it to work; however, the program is SO SLOW that I can’t use it. Hope they figure out the bugs and get it fixed.

Latest try is going on over 30 minutes downloading models for one photo…unacceptable. Hasn’t worked yet. Still waiting.

Looking for previous version (6.3.3) to download and reinstall. Any suggestions?

It must be something to do with your system. I am on a Mac mini and it is working fine and fast.
You can download 6.3.3 here. Be sure to do a clean install

Thanks for the information.

Update - once the first photo loads up, and as long as the software is open…the next, then the next, then the next open and work just fine. It appears to only happen on the first one - the very slow loading.

1 Like

Agree. I work solely in Ps & had reported (a number of times …) that the time to open an initial image from a Ps layer is interminable & seems as if GAI won’t launch at all.

Like you, subsequent launches into GAI - Only During the Same Session - are faster than the initial one.

It requires a fix.

At minimum, a msg box should come up immediately saying, “Hang in there, I’m lost & need to find my way!

I was using Gigapixel 6.3.3 to restore old scanned photos. I was getting decent facial restoration on most pictures. After upgrading to version 7, I tested the same photos to compare the results. I noticed that one out-of-focus colour picture that was partially restored (face) by version 6.3.3 was not improved at all by version 7 (I tried all settings). Other pictures had no noticeable improvement over version 6.3.3. I was especially looking for hair and neck restoration but saw none. I am using an Acer Helios 300 with 16 Gig memory, 2.5 – 5 Ghz i9 14 core processor, NVIDIA 3070Ti GPU with 8 Gig memory, 1 TB SSD and Windows 11 23H2.

Thats is to be expected as the models are NOT trained on digital scans. Your best option is to raise an Idea to see if others will vote for it as well.

1 Like

An algoritm to improve old non-digital scans would be MUCH appreciated!!!
i have many hundred of those. Kodachrome usually create great images if light-conditions is ok, but negatives are far worse.

Version 7 is a down grade from 6.3.3. It take 3X times longer to do a scan and the facial sharping is about worthless. I am very displeased ( hate it ) with the new version.

1 Like

Agree with you 100%

It is INCREDIBLY slow. The prior version was finally really fast without major issues of any kind, but the update was like many too many Software Updates - a total screwup.

1 Installation issues
2 User Interface corrected and fine tuned over many years changed and even discarded

3 And finally the program is INCREDIBLY SLOW.

It is a great feature request :slight_smile: You should add it to the Ideas section.

1 Like

@bugsirrom-104704 @darrelgolsen-44035 Could you each post your system profiles or give me a basic overview of your specs? The first time you use the models it may be slower, but overall you should not be seeing a decrease in performance.

In prior versions of GPixel after loading a batch of image files, all files are selected. Then I set all of the parameters on the first or some other image.
Then I would click on one or several files to check how the prior settings also worked well.

In this version as soon as click on another file, the SELECT ALL is automatically turned off, and then when I choose SELECT ALL, my parameter settings are reset to some unexpted or standard ? values.
I don’t think this happens all the time, but most of the time.

This is very frustrating, and I wish this aspect of the way things work was not “IMPROVED”. I suppose this suits the way some people work, so how about allowing users to choose how they want this to work with a choice in the Preferences Settings.

I would like SELECT ALL to not automatically change, unless I click on choose DESELECT ALL.
The alternate setting to choose would be to behave the way it does now.

Things of this sort are why it is sometimes best to not upgrade and get tons of frustration.

I wish Topaz would really restrain themselves from messing with the User Interface, except when absolutely necessary, and then only after extensive Beta testing. Unfortunately few companies ever listen to this advice.

Thanks for reading.

1 Like

I don’t know why Topaz does that. Instead of improving AI models under the hood and just leaving UI as is, they seem to get people who apperntly do not use the applications to screw up UI and models themselves get very little attention. Not the mention that GigaPixel was though to be dead. Photo AI was getting all the intention from development team and Gigapixel was left for dead. Now they except people to invest in new version which they had to tweak based on some weird standards that only topaz understands. All we users want to do is upscale images and get best results.

1 Like

It’s nice to hear that other people have similar complaints and understand my frustration.

1 Like

The newest version of gigapixel AI - 7.0.0 - no longer lists jpg as an output format. jpeg may be a compatible format but a search for files formatted as jpg does not list files saved as jpeg.

2 Likes

I’m not at the computer which runs Topaz, but common sense says that if v 6.3.3 was really fast, and I install the update which then is ultra slow, then my hardware is more than adequate to run fast.

I will send the config once I get to my other computer.

Thanks for your reply.

+1. A very interesting question.