Unable to save changes from Topaz Photo A! 2.4.0 plug in to Apple Photos

Please see a snapshot of the error screen, my System Report, and Photo AI logs that include the error. The photo in HEIC format saves fine when making the same modification in Photo AI 2.4.0, but not using the plug in from inside Apple Photos.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Open photo in Apple Photos, click Edit button, select Topaz Photo AI.
  2. Allow automatic sharpening to take place. Use Remove tool to remove 3 areas.
  3. Photo looks great. Click Save to Apple Photos. See snapshot of dialog boxUnable to Save Changes for “Edit in Topaz Photo AI”. All edits are lost.

Logs.zip (37.3 KB)
iMac.spx (6.8 MB)

Topaz Photo AI [v2.4.0] onMac

What camera are you using to create these HEIC files?

The iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 17.4. Again, note that Photo AI does fine editing these files directly.

I don’t know if this is related or a separate issue, but in Photo AI 2.4.1 (and the releases over the last few weeks too) I was not able to edit photos from Apple Photos as an external editor, and it was user error. I didn’t get an error message, everything appeared to work fine, but the edits never appeared in Apple Photos – they just seemed to be ignored or discarded.

My workflow is to view a photo in Apple Photos, right-click, and Edit With → Topaz Photo AI. I then use the quick-save button. It processes and closes, and if I’m watching the external edit session directory in Finder I can see the changes. This is how I discovered my mistake – my file “_DSF0863.jpeg” was saved as “_DSF0863x.jpeg” and then I realized I’d previously exported a file with a different filename, turning off the “overwrite” options etc. I had wanted to keep the original. Topaz Photo AI remembered that choice and used it again in the quick-save settings. Using the non-quick-export and setting the options to overwrite the original got my edits working again. The quick-save button didn’t do what I thought :slight_smile:

Nothing like what happens in my workflow.

BTW, if I start in Apple Photos, use the Affinity Photo plugin, then use Affinity’s Photo AI plugin (Filter), the changes save correctly to Affinity Photo’s plugin, which then saves correctly to Apple Photo. Whew!

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.