Unable to import processed DNGs from Google Pixel phones

I have few pics on Google Pixel 7a phone in need of cleaning up noise etc. I use Lightroom and through Plugin-Extras > Process with Photo AI’ method, PAI is able to display and process the DNG files in autopilot mode which indicates it supports the lens/camera model fine. However, the DNG files it saved fails to import in Lightroom with error saying “processed photo may be from an unsupported camera or malformed file” which leads to thinking the way PAI saves files is not true DNG even if fully uncompressed.

Is this a known issue or limitation?

What should be better workflow to use PAI on Google Pixel pics? Should I convert DNG to tiff (through Edit in route rather Plugin-Extras way)?
Lightroom error

Thanks for reaching out. Please send the following information so I can try to reproduce this.

1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

We should be able to add support for the Google Pixel once I have a file to test.

@Lingyu I have sent original DNG off pixel phone and PAI edited DNG (with -2 suffix) files for your consideration.

Thanks for sending the file. I was able to reproduce the issue. It looks like we do not have the Google Pixel 7a supported yet.

I made a task for my team to look into a fix for this. I can follow up once I have an update on support for this file.

Could you send me some more Google 7a files? My team is looking for more to add support for this camera type.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

@Lingyu sorry for delay in replying. I have sent few files over. Hope it helps.

Thank you, I passed these along to my team. I’ll give an update when I have more info on this.

This should be fixed in the update coming on Thursday. Please install v1.3.12 when it’s available and the Pixel files are supported.

1 Like

@Lingyu Pleased report that Pixel 7a pics now working with 1.3.12 release and TPAI edited DNGs are recognised by LR with no issue.

Though I noticed the TPAI output file is slightly larger on edges compared to the original.
Original raw - 2182 x 2914
TPAI output raw - 2198 x 2930

Is this expected?

Yes this is expected as we do not have the lens correction for this file.

This is changing the size of the file on output. Hopefully this does not affect the image too much.

If it is a significant issue, you can use the Photo > Edit in > Topaz Photo AI method instead which will prevent the lens correction from getting removed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.