Topaz Video AI v3.3.0

I think you need to disable ā€˜Remove Duplicate Framesā€™. I did some extensive testing with the interpolation models a month or so ago. I wasnā€™t paying attention to that specifically, but if I remember correctly, on all models, having a higher value in the ā€˜Remove Duplicate Framesā€™ slider made the original frames less likely to make it into the output.

1 Like

recover original detail at 1

2-100 = no good

no - change to 1

ā€œRemove Duplicate Framesā€ on or off or slider at 1 or 100 ā€¦ nothing does changeā€¦
the first 3 frame are the same and all original frames are also interpolated

Done! Submitted to Dropbox.

Well my testing was focused on if Remove Duplicate Frames actually works. I concluded that it does not. And I was doing 2.5X not 2X slomo.

Maybe it needs a little inertia before the interpolation can kick in? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hereā€™s a post with a link to download my findings. There are two more links with more results later on in that topic.

1 Like

Why is it that I only get the correct colors when converting a european DVD to HD when I manually change the matrix_coefficients of the generated h265 file to BT.470 with ffmpeg.

Without it, colors will appear slightly more orange in the reds when playing the movie with VLC. That has been the case for longer (maybe always, not sure).

As I understand, .there is a color conversion necessary when converting DVD material to HD because HD uses BT.709 color space but DVD isnā€™t. It seems that TVAI doesnā€™t perform the necessary color conversion but only flags the output file as BT.709.

Hello,

I had stayed at V2.6.4 and seeing all the improvements of V.3.2.x I subscribed to a new license.

Very pleasantly surprised by the IRIS model. Applied on old K7 SVHS which date from about thirty years digitized more than 10 years ago so of really low quality (the video recorder at the time was at the end of its life): the digitizations were damaged a few times.

With IRIS this is by far the best result I have obtained for interlaced PAL to 2X progressive videos.

Much higher than QTGMC (ā€œslowā€ preset) that I had tried.

On the other hand IRIS in auto left me a halo corrected by switching to manual. It only remains for me to deal with the quarantine of K7ā€¦ Patience. Hoping for further improvements. :smiley:

4 Likes

Visually, the difference will be almost imperceptible. However, I would suggest taking a short clip of your original video and do extensive tests before committing to the export of the whole thing. For me, itā€™s more efficient that way, in the long run.

1 Like

Thanks Johnny! I love trying out the sliders with proteus, and now, Iris. Very impressed by the latter as Iā€™m upscaling varying quality of VHS. Enjoying the Topaz journey. Itā€™s only going to get even better as time goes by. :raised_hands:

Sorry Dave, Iā€™ll try the method you suggested (allowing YouTube to downscale to 1080 rather than myself via Handbrake).
Iā€™m learning little tidbits on this forum from the likes of your good self mate :+1:

Is there a way to add the crop feature to a preset? I use LosslessCut to cut footage down to smaller files to edit. The original is lets say, 20 minutes long and after I cut it can be 30 smaller cuts. I want to keep the same crop without entering the information 30 times. I used to be able to edit the crop click on the next, hit apply and it would apply the crop. Tedious but faster than having to re-enter each time. I am not able to do that (edit and apply) with this update. I tried to use the presets to add the crop but it doesnā€™t add that parameter to the saved preset. I am probably missing something?

yes, it always removes ā€œduplicatesā€

if you specify ā€œ1ā€ - then there are less artifacts

I also do it from my marriage of 30 years ago in Hungary in a castle which to any standard would beat any movie in primetime as it is letā€™s say pretty non American. The bride will change from a beautifull white into cultural red dress (not to many had a video camera at the time) to collect the money. sorry US folks but Las Vegas has nothing much so I am keen to bring this video to life what ever the costs.

I see one small thing THM2 makes this video blurring again at any scale .
for Now Iris 1.0 and blending at 26 gave me the best results till i used 35 which was even more natural for faces in the background which with lower values are.

can anyone tell me why 264 nvidea 10 bits is now the default and why not H 265 I cant imagine that one does not dump it to a harddrive attached to a NAS Blue rays heaven on earth such old media

By the way I never use the Preview it is to short I simple start up the export after some time I make a copy to another folder than copy this to my nas
then start another copy with different settings and copy it the same way different name

then i play it on TV and I can see it in full screen use the pause buttons to compare step by step then make a decision.

I am surprised people use the preview while it is much better to see how your TV shows it

Thatā€™s fine and dandy, but to save time, the preview can be a good tool.
What I have found saves me the most time is: Find the most likely sections of the video that are going to come out bad. Far away faces, trees, grass. Iā€™ll make 10 to 30 second clips with those (Usually just one of each type). Then I start trying settings in TVAI. I compare them in another player, but if I wanted to, I could also play them from my TV screen.
If I can get those short clips to look good on my computer, they always look even better on my TV screen. (At least once I figured out how to modify the ffmpeg commands to convert colorspace correctly. Movies processed with VEAI 2.6.4 never quite looked as good on my TV screen because of that.)

my most efficient way in the 2.x version was to have a look into single frames and their preview but since single frame preview in 3.x is not available anymore I continously have to find a workaround. :eyes:

Are you serious dandy ?

They added 1 frame back like two updates ago. It works on my machine. Even before that, I had selected the option to not auto play previews and thatā€™s about like the one frame in VEAI.

ā€œOh Iā€™m dead serious.ā€
ā€”Uncle Rico; Napoleon Dynamite

The Iris model is a major step forward.

Please add a slider (like in Photo AI) to lower or rise the level of reconstruction.

3 Likes