Topaz Video AI v3.0.4

Hi,

1. You said “Some users may experience reduced performance compared to 2.6.4

Would this be for users using RTX 3080 cards, just curious?

2.6.4 does seem somewhat speedier for me.

1. Do you suggest latest Game or Studio drivers?

I thought Studio drivers were specifically tailored to include some enhancements for products like this.

1. New to product, have some glitches trying 3.0.x versions, have had great luck with 2.6.4 - one thing I’d love to have would be to have “Copy Audio” in the 2.6.4 version. That is the only real issue I’ve had. I know it’s probably not doable being 2.6.4 version, but until I can use 3.0.x consistently without issues (later this year with fixes?) it would help a lot.

2. My previous attempts up to 3.0.3 with stabilization nearly always results in files with issues, is that one of the major things being looked at for end of year fixes?

3. The main problem I’ve experienced with 3.0.x is output with frames that go to grey/metallic with blocks when trying to enhance. That is not using stabilization, but I also never used “add noise” which someone posted may help with “blocks” - would that help my issue?

4. One other thing I thought of - I used “automatic tuning” in GeoForce experience and it did +103Mghz - are there any known issues or reasons not to do this with Topaz?

5. I have my old computer that’s on Win 10/64 pro, with RTX 2070 Super card. I think it’s ok to use 2.6.4/3.0.x on it at the same time as my main computer for processing enhancements/scaling in order to work on older files I have that I want to do this too. Is this correct?

6. Also is it worth considering a different motherboard (I have Z690 MSI MAG Tomahawk) in order to have both cards in same computer? Can Topaz 2.64 and/or 3.0.x utilize a RTX 3080Ti + my older RTX 2070 Super in the same computer?

7. I have two SSD Drives (with cloned backups) to boot to either Win 10/64 Pro or Win 11/64 Pro. I’m mainly using Win 10/64 Pro due to supporting all my old apps (it was an upgrade) and the Win 11/64 Pro was a “clean install” which I am adding programs too at a measured pace. I have not noticed an appreciable difference in performance between Win 10/Win 11. Will Topaz 2.6.4/3.0.x run equally well on either?

Thanks!

Mike

Win 10/64 Pro, Win 11/64 Pro, GeoForce RTX 3080Ti, 32GB DDR4 Ram, I7-12700K

1 Like

I’m still using 2.6 can anybody tell me if proteus has been updated im still waiting for 3.0 to get updates on the render speed before I upgrade

speed optimisation in 3.0 is not there yet, so render speed are not improved. don’t upgrade yet !

1 Like

I said I’m not upgrading until they get more updates so I take it proteus hasn’t been upgraded no response was made to that question

RTX tensor cores treatment have been implanted and updated in 3.0, but as far as i know, there is no specific proteus update except an “auto mode”, which is very nice but make the process a bit slower.
from what i can see on my side (1050ti or A4500 RTX) the speed is the same or a bit lower with Proteus than on 2.6.4

but it depends of your gear. you must ask to people who have the same gear as you to see if they saw a speed improvement with it. I hope to be a bit more clear ;).

1 Like

I been waiting months it won’t hurt more months for the program to be updated its just frustrating cause I have shows that I’m ready to work on…

It really is odd to me why they had us wait this long only to get a unfinished version was it a deadline or why was it done why not wait until it was finished so people would have the performance they were hoping they would get

4 Likes

I noticed that V3 in this version and I’m fairly sure in the last couple of updates that the speed of Proteus is the same as V2.6.4 if you only use Estimate in V3. When using Auto it will slow down some amount. That makes sense because of how Auto works as it was explained ages ago. Auto looks (if I remember correctly) at the frame(s) before and the frame(s) after and then makes a correction to the current frame. If that is how Auto is working then there would be no reason to believe V3 with Auto could be as fast as 2.6.4. Later that should change I hope as new advances in the code is made.

1 Like

Since it was only a 19 minute video (and about half one in the morning) I just selected a bunch of stuff and set it going…
I suspect one of the options is the time hog, maybe stabilisation or jitter.
However I’m now doing the 60fps conversion in FlowFrames (4h in, 2h 34m to go) so won’t be trying anything else for a while I’m afraid (maybe 3 hours…).
Also my preference is not to re-encode the video too many times, or does it do that anyway with chained models?
After I exited TVAI I was left with a short {star}tvai.mkv video (why do asterisks not render on the forum?) which consisted of basically the image on the right side of my picture, but moving around a little, so something went wrong (I assume).
(Edit) Okay, 4h later and FlowFrames is still going, plus the 14GB 19m video has resulted in a 572GB temporary directory, which as it says to use it on a SSD (and I did) is quite a thing…
Oh and it defaults to downscaling anything over 4k down to 4k, so I just let it do that…
(Edit again) 21h in and FlowFrames still not done, it had a “deleting temporary files” phase and it’s now only got 526GB in its temp dir. I think I’ll use an Nvidia encoder next time. Also a disk with several TB free. Or better yet TVAI if I can get the processing time down by minimising the stuff it does.
(Edit #3) Okay, so while FlowFrames didn’t say it was done the final video was available. It was very poor and I’ve uninstalled it.
I’m now using TVAI 3.0.4 to have a go, just on the 2x frame rate, it says 2d14h to go after about 7 hours running…

yes, the auto mode is certainly a bit slower because of the way it work.

I think it will be better if you do the film processing in two steps.

1. Make 5K to 4K by traditional program using bicubic (A=0.6). For example, this: http://virtualdub2.com/
  2. Improve 4K by TVAI 3.0.4 or newer or 2.6.4 :slight_smile:

How can you pause/resume using the command line?

I’m not sure but it looks like Proteus AUTO has been improved a bit: at least it does no longer sharpen excessively

2 Likes

Do the hiden parameters change from scene to scene using AUTO? That would be good to have some dynamic correction if it’s not the way its doing.

the parameters changes from frame to frame. it’s totally different than the estimate button from Proteus / Manual.

1 Like

Need support for multiple audio from source video when upscaling.

1 Like

You simple click with the mouse into the command line window. Processing will be paused. To resume, press Enter.

And where is that command line window? I’ve tryed FFmpeg command, command prompt, preview command and export command, all pop a window but the process still continue…

Tu es français ? you know powershell / Terminal etc on windows ? (if you use windows) ? Cmd.exe etc ? and how to use it ?

U open a command line window (“Process\Open Command Prompt”) from Topaz and copy- paste the export command (“Process\Show Export Command”) into the command line (removing the nostats part will allow for progress display). Press enter to start processing.

When u click into the command line, execution will be paused. For resuming, press enter.

Note that there will be no image preview of the progress because it’s running completely in the command line.

2 Likes

yes but opening that is not stopping the process. Do we have to write down something?