Topaz Video AI v3.0.4

MacOS Intel user, I submitted this to support but thought to share here in case anyone knows what the deal is… My computer locks up and reboots part way through running “Upscale to 4K” (from 720x480 SDR) using AI Model “Gaia” and “Computer Generated”. Looks spectacular in the preview but I can never complete the export as the computer freezes every time I try to export. TVAI 3.0.4 logs say “out of memory”, but the system shows I have plenty of RAM and AMD graphics memory that are unused. I have 64GB RAM and an AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB.

From the log:

• 022-11-16 00-18-29 Thread: 0x7ff8573094c0 Debug Updating video info {“sar”:0.9090909090909091,“framerate”:29.97,“startNumber”:1,“frames”:8678,“progress”:9,“status”:0,“frame”:805,“procStatus”:{“status”:0,“eta”:3291.8289750896815,“fps”:2.3906795372959833,“message”:“Out of memory”,“pass”:1,“error”:“- Process ran out of memory.\n- Process ran out of memory. Couldn’t generate output from the model for: VideoSR_Unet/Out4X/output/add.”,“progress”:9,“frame”:805,“priority”:3,“requestPos”:0,“processorIndex”:-1}}
  • 022-11-16 00-18-29 Thread: 0x7ff8573094c0 Info ~TProcess(): destroyed
  • 2022-11-16 00:18:29.877 Topaz Video AI[1186:12200] HIToolbox: received notification of WindowServer event port death.
  • 2022-11-16 00:18:29.877 Topaz Video AI[1186:12200] port matched the WindowServer port created in BindCGSToRunLoop

I have been meaning to ask, what’s with the file naming convention? How is that 9-digit random number supposed to help me find a file or understand what’s in the file. What happened to having the dimensions suffixed to the file name like in 2.6.4?

1 Like

v3 has simplified my workflow tremendously and the basic concept with the use of ffmpeg + command line is more future-proof than v2.
Main benefits for me over v2:

• variable framerate issues gone (before I had to re-encode videos before using them in TVEAI)
  • built-in cropping of black bars giving performance boost
  • command line option allows customization
  • command line allows for easy pause/resume
  • easy parallelization of tasks

They just need to address the wonky UI and performance problems and v3 will be way better than v2

3 Likes

So I wanted to convert some GoPro 5k 30p footage to 4k 60p (as YouTube don’t support 5k any more and I wanted to smooth out some fairly fast pans). Using 3.0.3 it is currently talking about 19 days to completion, so does anyone have any suggestions as to which of the options (I was quite liberal in my selections, but it’s only a 19 minute video) should be de-selected to get it within reasonable limits, or if starting again with 3.0.4 would be a plan? (Note anything that doesn’t use my Nvidia RTX2060 is a more likely culprit.) Also the preview looks odd?

Oh and does my TVAI licence (I started with v3) allows me to run its predecessor app, as a temporary work-around? Is there anything special I need to do (and where do I get it and any extra models I’d need)?

Thanks!

Screenshot:

FYI the original video is here (uploaded at 5k and downscaled to 4k by YouTube):

*** command line allows for easy pause/resume**

would you please explain how you can do that

hello. I also reverted to 2.6.4.
3.0 has degraded the image quality of DDV3.
I thought Proteus auto correction was convenient for 3.0,
Even if the parameter is set to zero, some correction is performed.
2.6.4 is better if you do it manually.
2.6.4 can be downloaded here.

1 Like

If TVAI v3 is telling you 19 days, v2 may be faster but it is not orders of magnitude faster, so I would explore other options.

I would probably use ffmpeg scale filter for the spatial downsample (you can pick the algorithm you want) and Flowframes for temporal upsample. Maybe use Flowframes first, to maximize the amount of available detail for the upsample part. The default RIFE model should be fine.

For the ffmpeg scale filter, you could experiment with lanczos, bilinear, bicubic (or others). Lanczos can add some apparent sharpness, which may be good or bad, sometimes it looks like oversharpening when downsampling. Unless the source is very bad, Topaz’ strength is really in upsampling, not downsampling, so I think using it for what you’re trying to do is overkill and a waste of compute power (especially for your spatial 5k->4k objective).

Just like ffmpeg, Flowframes is free so you have little to lose in trying. Flowframes’ optical flow is very different but much faster than what Topaz does. For different kinds of footage I have observed it produces better or worse results than Chronos or Apollo, but always much faster so I always try it first. For interpolating a single frame between each frame pair, I think the results could be quite good with optical flow. Again, this depends heavily on what the footage is.

Regarding the other 99% of the ranting in this thread, I agree V3 needs a lot of work and was not ready to come out of beta, but here we are.

A common refrain is to “just add face enhancement.” I encourage everyone to try out current ML face enhancement tech themselves if they have the ability, most of the published approaches for face enhancement work on standalone images. This has been reiterated many times by other posters, but some readers just do not hear it. Without temporal coherence integrated into the model, the facial identity fluctuates wildly with changing aspect. This is very different from single image enhancement. If you want to give it a try, look up Codeformer or GFPGAN, there are easy to use GUIs that anyone could operate. The only hurdle is following the setup instructions on github. I mention these two because they are free, but of course you can try Topaz Gigapixel if you have it.

In any of these you can input either video clips or image sequences, and if a subject’s face is not too blurred and not moving, the results look good. A single frame of motion blur or a partial face creates the worst kind of single-frame result you can imagine – blurred mangled features punctuated by sharp eyes and misplaced teeth etc. True horror, in many ways worse than what is done by any of the face-un-aware models Topaz has. I think a better short term objective for Video AI would be integrating one of the readily available facial detection models into Topaz with a tick box to disable upscaling on faces (when the model truly fails), where a small blurred mask patch of the original sequence upscaled traditionally can be overlaid on the upscaled result (blurry face is certainly better than a sharp monster face, in the short term). The latest literature has a few algorithms describing approaches with attempts at temporal coherence, but they do not appear mature enough to be applied to general footage as Topaz is targeting. If you have a tremendous amount of compute power, and upscaling only specific types of footage with specific people, there are more options there, but again, that is outside what Topaz is aiming for so you’re basically asking them move beyond the envelope of cutting edge basic research. Don’t hold your breath.

By the way, I think the comments about “the team” are bordering on personal attacks, not cool. Settle down and have some sense of decorum, this behavior reflects poorly on the poster. From the outside you have little insight into what is going on with the team. They are not obligated to let you behind the curtain, as much as you wish for it. Besides, if you’re ranting about how you think the team is this that and the other thing, why would they be inclined to share MORE with you? You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, as they say. Anyway, that is just my two cents. I have been a long time lurker and it’s unfortunate to see the hostility growing in a few of the regular posters in these threads.

Back to the software, hopefully we can see some good enhancements in the next months, but I wouldn’t hold your breath. The next 6-7 weeks are very dense with holidays in the US where the development goes on AFAIK. This is obviously a good explanation for why there will be no new release next week. The developers are humans too and they have families and lives outside of feverishly trying to address every scatterbrained screed on the forums.

4 Likes

To be honest, I’m still not a fan of the new GUI. But I find it really bad that you can no longer manage and use the AI ​​models offline. I also find the new procedure for the video preview much more cumbersome now. I don’t need multiple previews. If I changed a value and clicked preview again, it was fine. Now every time I have to delete the old preview, go back to normal mode and click preview again. I have a lot more that bothers me, but unfortunately my English is too bad for me to be able to describe what I mean properly.

Of course, the update also has positives. I think it’s great that you can now use several AI modes at the same time. Also that the audio track is now preserved in many more AI modes.

The bottom line is that I regret installing the update over the old version. Well, the software is being further developed, so I have hope that the offline AI models will come back at least as soon as possible.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m happy using ffmpeg from the command-line (indeed that’s how the video that went into TVAI was processed just beforehand) but thought/hoped tvai would/might do better work on the pans. FlowFrames is new to me, I’ll give it a go.
Thanks again for the comprehensive answer. (Oh and BTW Lanczos is generally my first choice.)

U open a command line window from topaz (main menu), then u copy your export command (main menu) and paste it into the command line (removing the nostats part will allow for progress display). Press enter to start.

When u click into the command line, execution will be paused. For resuming, press enter.

Thank you, it works

Again TVAI 3.0.4 Proteus creates strange patterns:

2 Likes

by curiosity, what’s the size of your video source ?

1920x1080 upscale to 4k Proteus auto

from what i know
1/ download model manager is scheduled to be implanted at a later date
2/ more way to display previews are planned as well (like multiple rendering on the same screen (like on the 2.6.4) and much better.
3/ previews are scheduled at some points to all be in sync so it will be easy to compare them.

“only” issue (lol) is that we don’t know when it will be implanted in the software.

I hope that at some points, one of the dev of the software will come here and maybe answer to some of our questions, with maybe a time frame about what and when it can be implanted.
you can reinstall the preview release anytime (2.6.4).

1 Like

i see you’re chaining all the models in one “go”. i would suggest to do them separatly. there is a very high chance that at some points in the 19 days, something can go wrong and all this will have been done for nothing.

your preview is not normal. when we look at the source, there are some patterns on the image. maybe it’s related to that. just do an export on a small excerpt of it where the preview fail,to see if the issue is there on the export part too. it’s maybe related to the fact you use all 3 filters at the same time. do you have this issue if you only use one model at a time ?

1 Like

there is a missing thumb down button on this forum, because you’re fully deserve it since you’re there. the only thing yeu’re able to do is to send trash comment to the dev team, the software, you’re blocked in the past, requesting the same things overn and over again, like blocked in a loop hole, stuff that have been answered to you many many times.

Don’t know what’s your problem, but this behaviour is not good for other people here and help in nothing.

1 Like

Av1 encodind is only for people owning a 4090 RTX card. it will not be implanted on 2.6.4 because NO more update of the 2.6.4 version will happen. it has been repeated a thousand of time. 2.6.4 is from the past. 3.0 is the future. even if the softwrae is actually not working like all people would except it, it will , at some point. i’m sure of that.

1 Like

As far as Proteus, I think it’s the way TVAI 3 handles the models that’s a bit different. I re-downloaded the latest Proteus models into 2.6.4 and there is no difference in results within 2.6.4 itself.

I see this problem on Photo Ai too sometimes on specific picture. maybe it’s related to the way the Model Ai handle some specific part of an image, like some specific “noise” or “parts” of a face. hope someone will answer about that, and a fix will be available at some point.
I saw this “problem” with other Model Ai generator from other software too, not only topaz product !