Topaz Video AI v3.0.10

Why not? A typical 4k job reserves 4G of VRAM. That already puts the theoretical limit at 3 processes on my RTX 3080 Ti with 12G (so, effectively at 2x). So, 4 is a good max to set. Otherwise ppl will just push that slider up on high, things will start to crash, and Topaz will be left with X many more support questions and/or angry customers who don’t get that VRAM is not an unlimited quantity.

1 Like

Dear Devs Topaz
Sorry if I’m boring, but when will you fix this annoying bug?

6 Likes

As I said, a warning dialog would be a better solution. 4 processes might be fine for you, but some people have 16GB or 24GB or more of VRAM. I can easily export 4 videos at once and be previewing other ones simultaneously.

4 Likes

But also CPU-wise? I doubt your CPU is much better than my i9 12900K. And I can run 2 processes at near 100% CPU-load. Running multiple instances of TVAI is like hyperthreading. And there’s a reason Intel decided to put only 2 logical cores per physical core: you can mix 2 processes, as it were (each filling the empty spots of the other), but at more than 2, the whole idea becomes less efficient. Same here: with 2 concurrent TVAI processes running, the CPU is already at near max all the time. I don’t see the added value of trying to squeeze in a third one. YMMV, of course.

1 Like

I suspect there is very little or no through payback when your machine gets too bogged down. - It may be faster if they were processed sequentially in batch mode. That would be especially true if the video files were on hard drives.

Processing several files simultaneously is somewhat like multiplexing digital phone signals. The data rate may be very fast but each call (job) gets less time to run when there are too many calls/jobs in the queue. - That also leads to dropped calls, etc.

2 Likes

I could cry now (figure of speech). After ten hours of rendering the program crashes once more. I don’t have the time to try it again, because I need my computer for other stuff now. It has become so unreliable, it’s a shot in the dark if it will work or not. I know you guys work hard to get everything in order and fixed. But user experience is really very bad right now.

2 Likes

Oh, I have this hardware:
|Processor|11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz|
|Installed RAM|64,0 GB (63,9 GB usable)|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
RTX 3060
NVIDIA CUDA Cores 3584
Boostclock (GHz) 1,78
Memory 12 GB
GDDR6

Sorry, I disagree. For me, it’s much more efficient (faster) if I export 3 @ 720p, or 4 @ 480p videos simultaneously. In some cases, almost twice as fast. No errors.

1 Like

I don’t know, see my reply to pdwhite below. Also, I’m on a Mac, in case it makes a difference.

That may be so. But there is a point where this becomes inefficient and very unwieldly…

Some of it depends on your hardware, and some on the application and the OS it runs on. However, consider the newness of the TVAI 3 package and its ongoing adjustments, I think they were wise to limit the number of simultaneous rendering jobs; at least for now.

1 Like

Question: How big is your PSU? What are you using for storage? Hard drives or SSDs?
How much free space do you have on the system drive and on your source/destination drives?

Any of these may frequently cause the problem you describe. - (Speaking from personal experience.) - Especially the free space. And if the drives are hard disks, fragmentation can be a real problem.

Does the GPU have AV1 compatibility?

Well, I think it would be perfectly fine if a warning dialog popped up to warn the user of potential ‘bogging down’ of the system if he/she selects more than 4 processes in preferences, however, I do respect your opinion. The reason I voiced mine, is that this limitation will potentially slow me (and some others) down, although I have not tested that theory as of yet.

3 Likes

Are your jobs also upscales to 4k? I am unfamiliar with a Mac, but, for me, I am definitely getting diminishing returns when I try and run more than 2 concurrent jobs.

I rarely upscale to 4k, it’s usually 1080p and below. As I said, often my simultaneous exports are (additively) up to twice as fast.

1 Like

The reason I voiced mine, is that I can readily see where the devs are coming from: a lot of angry posts on the forum and/or at support, from people who are trying to run way too many processes, causing crashes, VRAM overflow (into youtube vids, as reported).

Having said that, we’re all adults. A warning message for when going over 4 processes would have been fine with me too.

1 Like

That would explain a lot. 4K is 4x as much as 1080p! (That’s like already 4 processes worth of 1080p jobs, right there, in a single 4K job). The dynamics may largely differ there.

Now I am curious whether I can do 2 or more 4k upscales concurrently… will test.

1 Like

In my 30+ years computer experience, it’s almost always the PSU. Crashes, black screens of death, all signs of a weak PSU. People simply need a good PSU. Wattage is only one thing; stability is equally, if not more important.

And RAM. MicroSoft said this 20 years ago already: ‘All problems are solved by adding more RAM.’ While in jest, of course, also true in many ways: the less disk I/O has to be performed (due to excessive swapping), the lesser your chances of a crash.

I have 64G myself, and a high-quality PSU. TVAI does many things wrong, but it has literally never crashed on me.

1 Like

I generally do 2 or 3 upscales at the same time. I have my processes set to 1 since I just open another instance of TVAI. When I do do it’s generally a very small total time difference to a single encode. When I do 3 that takes about the same time as doing 2 back to back. I rarely do anything but 480 to 1080. If I was doing 1080 to 4k that be pushing my RX 6600 or 3060 Ti since they are only 8GB cards but my 3060(12gb) could probably handle it.

Here are 3 instances running of the 3060 Ti. The processor is a 3900x.

3 Likes