Topaz Video AI Always Crashes Computer

[If you are posting a new bug, please include the following]

1. The bug / behavior you have encountered
  2. Your system profile
  3. Your log files (Help > Logging > Get Logs for Support)
  4. Any screenshots as necessary

[Please be sure to have searched for your bug before posting. Duplicate posts will be removed.]

Back on September 19, I sent in an issue concerning Topaz AI Crashing. Your recomendation was that the CP was too old and couldn’t keep up with the filters.

I have since upgraded the entire system to an 10-Gen i7 on a new motherboard, and the crashing continues. I’ve tried two different video files with different encoding, the first is FFV1 and the other usin MPEG Video (I am attachig the MediaInfo files for each).

I am using very few filters. It always crashes when generating a preview or when going directly to Export.

I have tried in both v3.5.4 and v4.0.4 with the same result.

Thank you for your help. I really want to work with your software.

Bill Saichek
DxDiag.txt (92.2 KB)
logsForSupport-Test1.zip (19.2 KB)
logsForSupport-Test2.zip (24.3 KB)
MediaInfo-Test1.txt (2.6 KB)
MediaInfo-Test2.txt (3.4 KB)

And what is the brand/model and most importantly wattage of your power supply?

According to the logs, he’s running this on Windows Server 2019… Can TVAI run on Windows Server?

As long as the hardware and drivers are supported it shouldn’t be an issue.

99% chance that the PSU is inadequate.

@bill.saichek Are you running this on a virtual desktop?

No, not a VM.

No problem with the drivers (nVidia video, network, chipset, etc) under Server 2019.

The PSU is a SolidGear 550W supply.

Thank you for the fast reply.

If the PC is blacking out (no BSOD, no crash dump) and then restarting it’s a power issue.

That’s exactly what’s it’s doing. I’ll put in a new PS and let you know how it goes.

You’ll want to go with a higher wattage, at least 800. And stick to good brands: EVGA, Seasonic, Corsair.

I think that did the trick. Changed out to an 800W supply and it didn’t crash. I’m going to run a few videos through with different filters and settings just to make sure.

I wouldn’t have even guessed that it was a power problem. Question then … when processing, does TVAI draw more power from the CPU or the video?

Thanks again … you’re the best.

1 Like

Depending on the combination of models used, it can push your hardware to the absolute limits, and draw the peak amount of power from the PSU.

You can tone things down (in exchange for reduced performance) if you want by using a software called Process Lasso. MSI Afterburner would also probably let you reduce the GPU load.

Glad you got it sorted.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.