Topaz Studio will not launch a 2nd time from within Photoshop

please explain! all filters and all plugins are inactive on a locked layer so what are you implying?

If the “trick” to getting Topaz Studio to open inside Photoshop is to use a locked (background) layer - then when Studio does open - you can then make a duplicate layer by hand and start processing.

Topazlabs are bending over backwards to thwart this bug - and my only counsel is to be patient - I know it is a real inconvenience.

Thanks Don, but not too sure a), how it got there & b) how to remove it!! Just tried with no luck.

Derek

It was in the Name field under preferences, removed now …

The main locked layer in a image is the Background layer, the one with the Lock icon. Most plugins can be invoked in PS using that layer, but there will be no Alpha (Transparency) passed … try it.

Thank you Don, appreciate that.

Derek

Tnx, but there are no previous versions there! It would be nice if topaz should make these available as a short-time solution. (in goed Nederlands: bedankt!) .

I worked as when transparency was locked. Locking the layer did not work. But locking the transparency did on Photoshop CC 2018. Tried it several times with the transparency locked the Studio launched every time. With layer locked I had the same problem.

Not too sure what you mean here!! Please explain ‘the transparency’ I have tried all sorts & everytime I have a locked layer everything is faded out. Sorry, I must be getting senile!!

Hope this helps. It’s the first icon to the right of the “Lock” option…

Thank you for that but to no avail. I cannot open Studio a second time. I have tried with all files, DNG, TIFF & Jpeg & it will not open.
Strange that you can I cannot as I am using PS cc 2018 too plus Studio 1.4.4
Ah well I shall just carry on ignoring Studio, I just hate something that should work but will not!!

I have exactly the same problem - although it wouldn’t open the first time either - I got a ‘Studio has encountered a problem and will have to close’ problem! :confused:

Tried it again, the work around works for me. Tried on PSDs and JPEGs.

Those of us who previously bought Impression 2 can see it under Topaz Labs in PS - you clearly bought Impression in Studio. It seems it’s no longer possible to buy Impression 2, which seems strange to me - not everybody wants to use Studio, so it looks like they’ll not be able to buy the old plugins once the newer Studio versions are released. Perhaps something for Topaz to reconsider?

1 Like

TNX, it works also with me (W10, PSCC2018)!

I agree, I purchased all the plugins prior to Studio. I am assuming that from here on in we will still be able to use the plugins as they were meant to be used when we purchased. That is using Ps Lr as a host. We will still be able to do that, but Topaz will cut us off from any upgrades unless we start to use Studio!!
I am sure Studio is fine for those who do not use Ps, Lr but, a total waste to those of us who do.

2 Likes

Same problem. Using Windows 10. Up graded to PS CC 2018. Had the problem with the prior version PS CC as well

Do not update when Studio is in plugin mode. This will eventually be made impossible, in a future update. The reason you should not do this, is that we have to update files during the update, which are then not visible to Photoshop. You must restart Photoshop to get things working again, if you updated during plugin mode. The easiest way to avoid this is to simply restart Studio as a standalone, and then update.[quote=“kenmo, post:22, topic:2565”]
I want to launch Impression directly as a Topaz Plugin and not via Photoshop->Plugins->Topaz Studio->Impression.
[/quote]

This is only possible for Impression 1 and Impression 2. Impression’s latest version will not be launched from the Topaz Labs Filter menu.

This is a confusing statement:

1. I can still access all the plugins directly from PS just as it used to be starting them multiple times
  2. Once I have opened a plugin I then cannot access any of the three updates ones through Studio

Does this mean:

1. After I select a plugin from the Filter → Topaz Labs → Adjust/DeNoise/etc list, any items launched from the Filter → Topaz Studio menu do not work
  2. After I select a plugin from the Filter → Topaz Studio → Clarity…/Impression…/etc list, any items launched from the Filter → Topaz Studio menu do not work

Please clarify. In either case, following what you described, down either path, resulted in success for me on Mac and PC.

We can’t make everyone happy. But, we can make most of our customers happy, and attract the kind of folks that like what we’re offering. We keep older versions of the software here:

I cannot recreate this on Mac or PC, with the latest version (1.4.4), no matter what I do. Are any Mac users experiencing this? Can anyone confirm this problem is still occurring, as of today?

kenmo, I can access the plugins directly from Ps using filter-Topaz Labs-plugin numerous times. I can then access Filter-Studio-Clarity, Detail or Impression once only.
I can still access Topaz Labs Plugins numerous time
It is ONLY Studio that has a problem opening after the initial time.
I hope this is a little clearer

Why is Topaz pushing Studio? As I said earlier I want cool plugins. I don’t need a replacement for Photoshop features like layers, saturation, masking, etc. These are features Adobe does very well and IMHO better than anyone else.

What I want from any plugin publisher is features and actions which either Photoshop can not do or are very complicated in Photoshop.

Studio adds NOTHING to my work flow and adds no value. Why are you abandoning us loyal users who were attracted to Topaz for it’s nifty plugins?

I feel somewhat cheated to hear that plugins we purchased with the promise of free future updates are no more.

Why?

1 Like