Topaz Studio 2 and RAW files

Thank you, AiDon.

Finally I found time to test. And you are right. With a simple S-Curve the image looks much better! Thanks!

But I think, as you suggest I wonā€™t use TS2 as raw converter but just for finishing touches.

1 Like

Just for my 2 cents ā€¦ I use Capture One Pro and really like how it handles my RAW files from my Sony camera. However, there are times when I want to start without any profiles being applied. That is when I bring the RAW file into TS which I believe uses a Linear Response rather than ICC profiles. This is particularly true for me when the shot is way underexposed. TS seems to do a better job of recovering data that is there. This may not be true for everyone, but I am glad I have different options for different situationsā€¦ again, just my 2 cents.

1 Like

I guess I also am used to it because in Capture One there is also a Linear Response curve which is an ideal starting point for images with large dynamic ranges.

1 Like

Thanks Don for your comment. I absolutely agree with you. I also use Linear Response curve in CO, but now that I have Precision Contrast, Precision Detail and AI Clear, I really like starting in TS when I need that option. Both are great programs. The more I learn, the more I know I need to learn more.

3 Likes

Where is your post, Paul? I did not see that you answered anything.

How is a C.O. Linear Response Curve different than Curves in Ps/ACR (my photo processing weapon of choiceā€¦)? Is it more related to the kind of tone mapping one does with HDR?

It is simply a profile that is used for rendering a RAW file. A Linear Profile typically gives a flatter conversion taking advantage of the full dynamic range in the image.

Which means it needs to be post processed in a different way, typically by adding a curve to give a more pleasing rendition.

1 Like

Ah ha. I didnā€™t realize a full dynamic range would appear flatter. Intuitively (to me) that would have suggested more dimension. Although, if the range is along a central line (vs deviating from it) I guess it would be flatterā€¦

Well, Iā€™ve learned something new. Thx for the explanation! Iā€™ve heard a lot of positive things about C.O. from pro photographers (mostly in classes & in the context of them shooting medium format). But I have never tried it.

I donā€™t like a linear response because I would like a good starting point for correction. Why require an extra step? All the info is still there in the RAW file and you are close to what the picture should look like.

Update: I think the reason for using a linear response in Topaz products is that they are intended for use after developing in a photo program. You donā€™t want to apply corrections twice to a photo. However, they could put in a switch to turn develop on or off. The best workflow is to develop a RAW file in a photo program and then go directly into a Topaz product for further adjustment.

I think you have every reason to be confused. Studio 2 does a poor job with opening RAW files compared to baseline Studio. It doesnā€™t handle files converted to DNG well either.

As a test I used a Fuji X-T3 file in both RAW and then the same file converted to DNG by Irident Transformer. Studio did reasonably well with both, although there was a color shift with the DNG file. Studio 2, however, provided a very flat file which, when processed to return it to something like normal, was inferior.

I think the engine in Studio 2 is radically different from Studio (original) and itā€™s inferior at this point. Studio 2 seems like a beta release.

1 Like

This is an old post but I have a solution that works for me. If you start your first filter as Basic Adjustment. At the top of the Sliders it says Basic Adjustment. Underneath that is the Opacity Slider. To the right of the Opacity slider is a drop down menu that will give you different jump off points to start your photo at. I use Linear Dodge or Color Dodge. It gives me almost the same image as what Nikon NX-D brings in. There are a number of choices. This drop down menu is available on many of the filters. Hope this helps.

I tried this approach but could never achieve satisfactory results in a timely manner. For my situation with Olympus cameras, itā€™s much faster to develop the ORF raw file in DxO PhotoLab, then take the TIF file into TS2.

2 Likes