Topaz plugins with Affinity on OSx

See solution in later message
Does anyone have a specific procedure for installing Topaz plugins on Affinity Photo running on a Mac OSx? I’ve tried loading Clean and Detail but although they are partially recognised in the Plugin configuration window, they don’t seem to work.

1. Clean shows a prompt: Error: ple1. ase report this error to Topaz Labs.
  2. Detail shows: IPC Memory in use or Image size is too big for the system.
1 Like

Thanks for the list but I can’t use any Topaz plugin with Affinity Photo. I’ve tried Clean and Detail but although they are recognised as unknown plugins they come up with error messages. Do you have some ‘different’ default procedure for loading Topaz plugins in Affinity Photo running on a Mac OSx machine?

What error messages are you getting? I know the Mac has other issues to Windows where they all work.

I was checking on the Affinity Forum and there may be a setting in the plugin settings on the mac called “Authorize Global”, make sure that is checked. Note that this isn’t a bug as only Photoshop is supported for PS plugins but there are ways of getting them to work with Affinity.

Supported plugins are listed here: Affinity PHOTO: Plug-ins Support (Mac) Clean & Detail are partially supported. It is best to try over at the Affinity Mac Forum.

Mac Forum: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/7-bugs-on-mac/

Each gives a different error message:

1. Clean shows a prompt: Error: ple1. ase report this error to Topaz Labs.
  2. Detail shows: IPC Memory in use or Image size is too big for the system.

NB: The “Authorize Global” has been checked.

Thanks, I’ll have a look-see at Mac Forum

Solved using Topaz plugins with Affinity Photo on Mac OS 10.13.2 High Sierra.

1. Install Topaz plugins as per instal instructions for Photoshop plugins.
  2. Open Affinity Photo
  3. Click the Afinity Photo menu item and select Preferences
  4. From the root (/) directory on the MAC select the LIBRARY as the Plugin Search Folders field
  5. Select root (/) directory as the Plugin Support Folders field NB: The Authorise Global option is automatically selected (greyed out).
  6. Check the Allow “Unknown” plugins to be used" option
  7. Restart Affinity Photo
2 Likes

Hi Nick,

Thank you for trying to solve this problem :slight_smile:
As you hopefully can tell from the uploaded screenshot from the preferences menu in Affinity Photo, my settings are exactly the same as you suggested.

What happens next is when I open an image from within AP and then select Filter>Topaz>Topaz Studio 2, Topaz Studio 2 opens and looks like it is working. But what happens next is, that I do not get to see any Looks and/or Filters. They stay hidden ‘mysteriously’ :wink: My guess is that the plugin is being detected, but the subfolders containing Looks and Filters is not.

So if you have any suggestion on how to solve this, I would be in your debt indefinitely ;))

Best,

Ed

Just wonder: any solution found for this?