Topaz Photo AI v1.4.1

The autopilot only works very poorly when denoising. The image is very noisy and the autopilot only wants to sharpen, but not denoise.

Re crashing when opening TIFs. I tried this with the latest Photolab, saving a 16-bit TIF in Windows 10, and opening in 1.4.1 - it opened, processed and saved fine. Even came out okay, whatever next :slight_smile:

P.S. I assume you are on a Mac? Current DXO Photolab is 6.8.0 build 242 on Windows, which I used.

P.S. youā€™re welcome to send me a Raw file or a TIF to try.

Thanks for the reply. Good to see its working on Windows. Yes, Iā€™m on a Mac. I provided a dropbox link to a TIFF file exported by my copy of DxO Photolab on the TPAI v1.4.0 release post. It would be good to know if the Windows version of TPAI v1.4.1 will open this TIFF file.

Thanks again!

The DxO TIFF does not open in Windows TPAI unless I open it in Photoshop first and resave it without editing.

The only difference I can see between the two files is that your original has X and Y Resolution shown as 9830400/32768 and the Photoshop resave has it as 3000000/10000. Both equate to 300 dpi so I donā€™t know why that might be an issue in TPAI.

This is common artifact with feathers.

Unprocessed:

Sharpen/LensBlur:

Similar with Sharpen/Motion:

Sharpen/Strong seems to be on the right track here
There is, however, overall increase in image brightness:

It doesnā€™t crash but I assume I get what you get:
Hereā€™s my TIF saving settings:
(The suffix varies.)
Do you see anything different?
Also could it be a lens issue with TPAI? Could you Dropbox the Raw?

I downloaded the Raw file for this image (50,073,970 bytes):
~Nikon Z9 production sample gallery: Digital Photography Review
Processed it in DXO with and without the relevant module and TPAI ate both TIF files. Might also be worth a go at your end?

BTW I have a Moon-stacking guide in case of interest :slight_smile:

Not even sure what the heck is happening here. I usually have some issues with TOPAZ AI and wildlife - generally but this???

Win 11 Pro desktop PC. Ps 2023 Plugin. Processor = AMD RX6800 XT. All A.P. set to None except Sharpening detect.

Working with .tif image (previously unprocessedā€¦ but tight-ish crop from Sony RX100 VII shot.

Iā€™m sad to say I cannot use this 1.4.1 release for any of my photo processing. Iā€™ve tried a number of images of nature, scenics of various ilks, text, people (whom I rarely photograph_) and none of them are processing to deliver a level of sharpness, clarity or accuracy I can use. They all seem to have digitized (blocky worms)/pixelated artifacts on the surfaces of objects and the edge & detail sharpness is not at a level it should be relative to the original images.

B/c I test, I try various permutations with manual settings (after checking out where A.P. has put his little green dots). Meaningā€¦ I try all the various models (when I donā€™t get a satisfactory result), alter slider adjustments for the models, try adding denoise if no denoise was proffered, ditto Iā€™ve tried enhance (obviously w/out upscale b/c Iā€™m using the Ps Plugin). In other words, I donā€™t just look at what A.P. plunks onto my display and immediately throw in the towel. I try to actively achieve the look I desire. Iā€™m not successful with this release. Iā€™m getting very frustrated!

Hereā€™s just one example from various attempts - I posted a really awful result (with the Breguet watch) above already: (again, this is one snip of one setting - Iā€™d already tried other settings combos)

Upscale/Standard - tiling artifacts:

I donā€™t see these artifacts in other upscaling modes:

However, if I turn on ā€œRemove Noise/Normalā€ these tiling artifacts for Upscale/Standard disappear

1 Like

@adam.mains @anthony.lawn @yazi.saradest

Same plant image as above but just processed with 1.4.0.1b models. Only thing undesirable in that rel. was the funky +/- switches & hidden models listā€¦ This model processing looks better to me. Iā€™ve reinstalled it for use as Ps pluginā€¦ but I strongly dislike working with the +/-'s in settings panel. Thatā€™s same rel. I used and liked (around Jy. 1) for all the detail work in the Breguet watch.

I recall reading a few weeks ago a post by someone at Topaz that said that after the one year free update period ends the owner can still get free updates if they are point releases. So, for example, with Photo AI, if the last release during the one year period is 1.4.3 then the owner can still get 1.4.4 and so on, but not 1.5.0. Is this correct? I cannot recall where I read this on the site. Anyone have the link?

I can do this work in half the time manually in Photoshop. I donā€™t see wht the advantage to Topaz AI Iā€™m sure in a few years it will have more value. Now it is slow in processing an not a real joy in productivity. I feel I waste money.

Are you running the batch in standalone or in Lightroom Classic?

Can you please send us the original image? Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/omTTisNIIfxFDX0eYnyL

That is correct. Our versions roughly follow semantic versioning, where X.Y.Z refer to major versions, minor versions, and patches, respectively. When your upgrade license runs out you still get any remaining patch updates before the next minor version bump. We tend to align significant features/changes to come out with those minor version bumps.

1 Like

capture one

1 Like

There should be a manual Heterophoria correction implemented for cases when face recovery creates eyes that point in slightly different directions.

As the need for hair and neck enhancement depends on the source image, I expect these controls also on the right side in the recovering face dialogue for quick changes.

1 Like

Autopilot does not work for denoise. On over 100 very noisy pictures it came on for a second and then turned off. It will work if I manually turn it back on.

Post from another website-user has same problem that I have only I use Photoshop not elements:

"[maxlieberman]

I use Photo AI as a plug in for Elements 2022. It worked just fine until about a week or so ago. Now, Autopilot will not remove noise automatically. After I activate the plug-in, it scans the photo, then it starts its magic. The Denoise function turns on briefly, then turns off, no matter how noisy the photo is. I need to manually change the position of the slider before it will remove noise."

Mac /w16G latest Ventura
Iā€™m not having an issue with Denoise being selected in Autopilotā€¦ These are film scans, using Lightroom Classic via the Edit in Plug-in.

Seems the Upscaling is creating an issue with a color shiftā€¦

Original Scan

This the AutoPilot w/everything except Upscaling

And hereā€™s everything Including Upscaling