Topaz Photo AI v1.3.3

I agree to what you found. The RAW Remove Noise leaves mushy, flat and watercolor-like detailless greens, blues or reds. I prefer what the latest LR does as to noise removal, much clean and detailed images.

2 Likes

When I go through the extra module in Lightroom Classic to send the DNG directly to photo ai and after I’ve made my little adjustments, well I notice that when I save to Lightroom, it loops.
After 5 minutes it’s always like that.

It seems that the function to switch from Lightroom to Photo Ai from the extra module is broken at registration. Or it is to save DNG files that is broken.
luckily, by right-clicking send as TIFF file, it still works fine.

I confirm that as a plugin there is a real problem with DNGs. Because I just checked with a Tiff through the module - extra and everything works as expected.
I haven’t tried it in standalone mode yet. But in principle, it should work.

There’s still a visible pixel shift when sharpening:
SharpenPixelShift

Edit: it only applies to the ‘Standard’ model. The other sharpening models do not shift.

2 Likes

Well, actually, no. It doesn’t work either.

It’s normal, it’s with the sharpen strong or with motion blur. It’s to catch the blur due to the camera movement.

The above is using the normal sharpen, not strong or motion blur.

Strange because I don’t have the problem with the standard sharpen

I only have the issue with standard sharpen. The other 3 models don’t do this.

Actually that’ll be my workaround, thanks. I’ll just use the strong model on a lower setting. Seems to look better with less blooming too.

Another bug, it adds strongly stretched lines on RAW files of type ORF

Before this kind of bug was on DNG files and not on ORF files.

The good news is that the export still works on ORF files. The bad news is that it also exports with strange lines as if the edges of the image had been stretched. See image on the right

in conclusion, on Raw files, the last version brings a lot of bugs that were not present on the previous versions.

Yes I restarted my machine, I even reinstalled my Mac OS.

Too bad it didn’t solve the issue. Hopefully support will step in.

interesting 
 seems that facial recognition was on and sharpen went around the face mask which is not shifting.

2 Likes

You’re right, face recovery indeed undoes the shift for the face only. The result is a slight misalignment of head and neck.

2 Likes

Regarding update 1.3.3, unfortunately it is still unusable for my purposes. It is nice to see the randomized/moving blurry patches seem to be gone. However, There are still numerous, stationary blurry patches in my nature photos in both Standard and low rez modes, but now they don’t move around and change.

Also, still seeing stringy rendering at times in boulders and rock faces, like they are biological rocks.

As well, I was disappointed that the rendering in the viewport now seems significantly slower. I’m running an RTX 3090, Xeon Gold with 40 cores and 456 GB memory, and with the previous version, I could pan the view and the 3090 could usually keep up with my panning, rendering within a second or two. Now, it seems like it’s much slower, perhaps several times slower in rendering the view. Just FYI.

Thanks for updating frequently though. I look forward to the end of blurry patches!

I have also noticed that the sharpen pixel shift is sometimes very weird in that some parts of the image are shifted and some aren’t. It creates a weird, small distortion. I had not connected it to face recovery though. I will have to check later if the differential in pixel shift only happens when both sharpen and face recovery are used. I first noticed the pixel shift problem last year and it has continued for all releases since then.

That’s probably because ‘subject only’ sharpening is the default. In that case only the (auto)masked subject shifts.

In my testing the shift is not dependent on using face recovery.

3 Likes

Are you saying that there is a pixel shift differential between various parts of the image using only sharpen and not face recovery? Your example seems to show that with face recovery the face does not shift, but the other parts do. You later wrote this:

1 Like

I noticed yesterday some artifact bugs with the “High Fidelity” model. As you can see on this picture.

It seems to happen if the image has already been processed with 100% denoise from another program such as the new Ai denoise from Lightroom classic.
This disadvantage was not there on the 1.3.2 of Photo AI. Moreover this model was even better in the previous version. So for the images I process, the Standard model is superior in quality.

We can see with the same settings the difference between the 2 models.

Here with High Fidelity

And here with Standard

1 Like