Topaz Photo AI v1.2.7

It may have to do with your raw file type. I tried both using a jpg and a Sony ARW (raw) photo and both showed no color shift. Each had similar color tone as your photo. I’m using a different OS, Windows 11. RX 5600XT GPU.

Jpg:

Sony raw file:

Yeah, your’s look fine. The file I used on my image was an OOC .jpg from an Olympus but I also tried a raw ORF file & it had a similar color shift. Mine looked OK in Photo AI but the saved version shifted color when I opened the file in Photoshop.

Here’s a new image screenshot from Photo AI:

The colors haven’t shifted.

Here’s a screenshot of the OOC .jpg & the Photo AI saved .jpg in Photoshop:

I get the color shift when I open the Photo AI modified file in PS.

At this point I’ll probably reinstall Photo AI when I get a chance & see if that makes a difference. Other suggestions welcome!

So, now I’m a bit confused. I just ran a test using the Photoshop plug-in & there is no color shift. I can only assume there is something going on with the Color Profiles. I work in ProPhoto RGB & follow the same “Convert to Working RGB” workflow in Photoshop with all files. Maybe it has something to do with converting a saved Photo AI file to ProPhoto RGB. No problems converting .jpg or raw ORF (Olympus) or NEF (Nikon) files.

When the "Help Improve Autopilot: Some images will be anonymously sent to Topaz Labs.” feature is changed to default to opting OUT in the next release, also make sure that there’s a description of exactly what opting IN will entail: How many images, how often, how they’re selected, how long they’ll be retained …

3 Likes

If you use as a Photoshop plugin there won’t be a color shift because the image passed to the plugin is a TIFF not a RAW image. RAW conversions are different on different apps.

Is the use of an image to train AI software, sold for gain, seen as a commercial use of copyright material , and therefor a fee for its use payable ?

2 Likes

I imagine since it was opt out, and they soaked up untold numbers of images that they will never admit full details to, a class action infringement case could be a result.

1 Like

TPAI 127 still generates the same artifacts in this image. The issue is the same as in all previous versions: the artifacts appear when Autopilot is used; they disappear when I turn Remove Noise off. Other than the grass weirdness, Autopilot is doing a good job (see last image). I’ll keep testing newer versions and hope this gets resolved.

Here’s the image with Autopilot:

Here it is with Remove Noise off:

Here’s Autopilot at 400% zoom to show the artifacts up close:

And here’s Autopilot on the face only, 400% zoom. It’s doing quite a good job.

2 Likes

Are only photos opened and processed quietly sent to Topaz? Or can any photos found on the computer be sent to Topaz? The text in Preferences is not clear.

It is clear they are taking images and, as such, I recommend turning it off and never edit any commercial images in any case as trust has been broken.

Before ANY image is uploaded, PLEASE pop-up a requestor per image asking for permission for an anonymous upload. Until that is implemented, I have no choice but to turn it all off.
If you pop up a requestor, I may say yes, depending on the image.

Greetings,

Fantastic product!

I am a new user with lots to learn and photography hack with an observation and suggestion.

Crop: Great add and quite helpful.
Observation:
A. Once a image is loaded, Topaz thinks on it for a while then allows the crop. Once crop is completed, Topaz re-thinks the results. It seems in this case like the first “thinking” may be replaced once a crop is executed.
B. Most users who wish to crop likely know they want to crop prior to editing in Topaz

Suggestion:
Allow cropping as an early step, prior to processing which may reduce processing time quite a bit.

This is really an amazing product. Thanks.

It’s interesting that this conversation is taking place on Topaz’s platform. I’m sure those concerned will no longer participate and download future updates and avoid Topaz’s platform. :laughing:

1 Like

It’s one thing to enable data collection in a beta version where the terms and conditions typically include data collection. But in this case it’s a release version and I’m pretty sure it’s violating GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) here in Europe. Simply put it’s most probably illegal.

1 Like

Did you notify the authorities over there?

I would not want pop up boxes every single time I process an image.

The request to allow data collection should have been at the very Top of the Preferences settings box. And, it should have been set to Off by Default!

I always chk Prefs before I start using each new release and I’ve always had share data set to off in my prefs. So this release Purposefully changed only that setting. I didn’t even see the d*** setting in this release because it was at the bottom of a long scrollbar and hidden.

3 Likes

To everyone participating in the discussion about the “Help Improve Autopilot” setting, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Our plan to address the concerns is:

• Make an update removing this image collection feature until we can implement an opt-in only version based on ideas in this discussion thread.
    – This will also affect older versions of the app, so no versions of Photo AI will send any more images.
  • Completely clearing all images that are currently saved from prior versions.

For more context, any image collection was only done when all three of these criteria are met:

• Photo AI is being used as a standalone app
  • Image is RAW
  • You have made manual changes to the image (autopilot is off)

Prior to 1.2.7, this option would appear within the save dialogue box when the above criteria were met – we moved this option’s location in 1.2.7 but retained the same criteria.

The images were being used to improve camera profiles support. No images submitted this way were used in model training. These images are not used for anything else, by anyone in the company. We do not look at the images, and only pull the camera metadata.

In summary, we are disabling image collection entirely for all versions of Photo AI and all collected images from all versions will be deleted.

13 Likes

This product is also sold in the European Union and just violated several articles from the GDPR (privacy law).
EU Data Protection Authorities aren’t very lenient.

1 Like

So, I guess PAI is pretty useless to me as a standalone if the image file will be going to PS for more work. I guess I’m OK with that. I’m still trying to build PAI into my imaging workflow. I’ll just use it as a plugin.