Topaz Photo AI v1.2.5 - v1.2.6

Hello!

This week has various masking tweaks as well as some other minor fixes and changes. In the background there is still a lot of work happening surrounding RAW color and metadata but it may take a few releases to show up.

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

v1.2.6
Released March 10, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.2.5:

• Fixed images with unicode characters in the output path not saving on Windows
  • Fixed width of update indicator when there are 2 or more updates available
  • Fixed Demo button not showing up in trial/expired license mode

v1.2.5
Released March 9, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.2.4:

• Mask refinement mode now force single image view mode
  • Masking brush can now go down to 1 pixel
  • Fixed issue where masking off the edge of an image would not fully draw the stroke
  • Windows shortcut should now support drag & drop of files
    – Note: This removes the auto-repair functionality in order to support drag & drop
  • Fixed logic for when increase and decrease shortcuts for masking brush are enabled
  • Fixed the update download progress bar staying open until the app is closed
  • The minimum saved JPEG quality between sessions is now 50 instead of 30
  • Added more detailed error when file fails to save due to name length

Known issues:

• Saving fails on Windows if output location path has non-English characters (will be fixed in next update)
  • HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
    – To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
9 Likes

Would like to see an option in preferences to toggle confirmation on image close on/off. I like to use ctrl-w shortcut to quickly close images but having to confirm-click on the dialog every time defeats the purpose. Thanks.

2 Likes

Win 11 Pro desktop PC. Standalone. Processor = Auto (AMD RX6800 XT, Intel i9 12th gen)

Composite .tif image with 3 figures tested. When I manually turned Face Detect on it sensed all 3 (they’re each facing different front, profile and in b/wn directions). Ditto - portrait subject detection accuarately chose all 3 figures - heads & bodies (granted they were mostly dark against cream background, but in past there would have still been areas missed, so the sensing and auto subject masking has improved).

Installer downloaded/installed quickly. Previews updating quickly after Settings changes…

Able to use left & right Bracket Keys to change masking brush sizes - could see the sizes visibly changing from teensy weensy to large in the AI Masking Brush & even if on teensy weensy or large when changing from the AI Brush to the Basic Masking Brush the brackets were able to change Brush size with no issues.

UPDATE: [Just had odd experience in the Standalone …] @yazi.saradest

I added minor masking to 2 of the 3 figures noted above with both AI Brush & Basic Brush. Then hit “Done” to return to the regular (vs masking) UI. I manually changed the Denoise sliders (DAI had been auto turned on by PAI). Then I turned on Sharpening (SAI was not auto turned on by PAI). I made a slider adjustment under Sharpening Strength. And what I saw at bottom left of main PAI UI was “Refining Mask”. But it didn’t update the Preview.

Ques: Should we be seeing “Refining Mask” as the bot. left notation when we’re working with Denoise & Sharpen sliders in the main PAI UI? And, if so, should the processing have completed and updated the Preview - mine didn’t? See attached snip. It’s still like that about 7 mins. later…

1 Like

I use an AutoHotkey script to click the button automatically after ctrl-w. Seems ludicrous to have a close confirmation in a program where unsaved changes will cost a few seconds of work at most.

1 Like

TPAI still breaks this jpg in the same way after several versions. The attached shows the same grass artifacts as prior versions. This is with autopilot doing its thing. Turning Remove Noise off eliminates the artifacts. Merely turning it down does not. Denoise AI processes this image with no problem. I will upload the original file (again).

2 Likes

I don’t see anything in the changes nor known issues for the issue I reported in 1.2.3 with color shifts with my OM-1 .ORF files. Have you had a chance to duplicate the issue yet? The shift is still there and it makes it pretty rough to work with.

I can not save photos after been processed. My camera is an Olympus OM-1

I follow the followig steps:

1. Raw Remoive Noise (without problems)
  2. Sharpen Standard (Without problems)
  3. Enhance Resolution - High Fidelity (Without problems)
  4. Save image … The process apparently goes well but finally the program does not save any image and gives me the message “Error: Cannot save image, unknown error”

Topaz Photo AI [v1.2.5] on [Windows10]

I have the same issue unfortunatelly. Tamás Divinyi

I have the same issue unfortunatelly. Per-Olof Rönnstrand

Me too

Hi Michael - we’re training a new Remove Noise model that should fix or at least significantly alleviate this issue.

2 Likes

It appears that if I tell Lightroom to use Auto White-balance that the color shift is removed.

@ tenerra @ divinyite @ per-olof.bunkeflo @ fulu568 If your output location path (folders, subfolders) has non-English characters, please try saving to a folder that only has English characters and let me know if the issue continues. We’re working on a fix for the next update. Thank you.

Using a RAW > DNG workflow is unusable at the moment. Sharpening destroys the image.

Same settings…

2 Likes

Refine mask brush options: mouse wheel controls brush size or keyboard bracket keys shortcuts to increase/decrease brush size.

Held off a few updates to see if things get any better with PAI. First image I try, encounter a ton of pixel shift across the image. Immediately close.

Guys we’re up to v1.2.5 and it still can’t get the basics right! It wouldn’t be so bad if people who had paid for future updates with the standalone apps were actually getting these updates, instead we’re paying for a piece of software to come out of beta. Not impressed.

4 Likes

Hi - can you please send me the image through Dropbox? Please let me know if you’ve sent it. Thank you.

Hi - The mouse wheel is used to control the preview zoom level. Though, we’ve already added the keyboard bracket keys as shortcuts to increase/decrease the brush size. They’re also available in the Edit menu.

1 Like

Hi, maybe I have missed as I asked last year for an option that allows you choose where you want the finished to be sent by AP. I use Faststone viewer to send images to AP but always sends back FSV yet if I open an image from windows explorer it asks where I want the image to be sent

Suggestion, after processing the image for preview, when panning around the image, the image should not have to be ‘re-processed’ to preview other areas of the image, but currently this is the way the software operates - every time you move the selection area the entire image is re-processed - very inefficient and wasting untold watts of processing power (and time). Things could be a lot more efficient and ‘greener’ if the application only has to process the image once to preview regardless of how many times you pan around the preview area.

Reprocessing during preview should only occur if you change the image settings!

Thanks.

Edit: if only the selected area of the preview is actually processed and not the entire image, then the current functionality makes more sense. If this is the case, feel free to ignore my suggestion.

7 Likes