Topaz Photo AI v1.2.10

Hello!

This week has a few more fixes for various camera profiles as well as some tweaks to how Autopilot recommends values. Autopilot will now try to minimize the extra denoising option in Sharpen models if a Denoise model was recommended as well and vice versa. This should help in cases where Autopilot was trying to fix the same noise/sharpeness issues with both models which led to some over-sharpened or over-denoised results.

As always the full change log is below!

Please give us any feedback or report issues with this release. We’ll be updating TPAI regularly to address those pieces of feedback and issue reports. If there’s a specific image you’d like us to see, you can send it us at this dropbox link.

We’ve recently added the ability to post RAW files under 65MB in the forum. If you are okay with your image being posted in this thread publicly you are free to do so. You are also free to go through our dropbox if you do not want to post publicly.

Finally, we’re very happy to announce the launch of a new Docs page for Topaz Photo AI.

These pages are just the beginning for making Topaz Photo AI an easy and engaging experience users. We welcome any feedback and suggestions on how to improve this new section of our webpage, and we will be keeping our users and beta testers involved in future updates.

v1.2.10
Released April 6, 2023
Mac: Download
Windows: Download

Changes since 1.2.9:

• Sharpen strength recommendation is now based on subject if it exists
  • Minimize detail and clarity slider recommendations when both Denoise and Sharpen are recommended
  • Remove plugins when uninstalling on Windows
  • Fixed Sony camera profiles for DSC-RX10M4 and DSC-RX100M7
  • Fixed various Samsung Galaxy phone camera profile mappings (S20 to S23 series, excluding S20+ and S23)
  • Fixed 2 channel grayscale image with alpha crashing the program
  • Fixed some small slider increments/decrements not registering
  • Fixed login flow creating files in the home directory on Mac

Known issues:

• HDR or Monochrome DNGs which previously did not open may have issues when saving as a DNG
    – To get around this you can save as JPEG, PNG, or TIFF which shouldn’t have the same color issues
5 Likes

Still a major issue with Masks + Crop not carrying over via RAW > DNG workflow. Plus, whiskers are jagged - caused by Noise Reduction module.

I’m using Capture One 22, and was also wondering why the “Respect Crop” option in the Photo AI plugin was not respecting the crop when it goes to DNG and in to PhotoAI.

I noticed someone ( [john.robertson-1219]) posted about this issue in January, but the only suggestion was that RAW processing did not support crop.

DNG must support crop because we can crop in PhotoAI and send a DNG file back to Capture One, but Capture one does not seem to export cropped images to DNG, so I was wondering if this is a Capture One issues.

Right now, I’m using uncompressed 16 Bit Tiff instead. It seems like this is supposed to be the best alternative, but still I feel like the RAW/DNG processing result looks cleaner than the Tiff processing result. That could be my imagination though.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the “jagged” appearance of thin things like whiskers, however I also note that when exported back to a parent program (I use LRC export in TIFF) the jagged appearnce disappears.

Thanks for the continued updates. I’m hoping this latest update resolves my biggest issue with denoise particularly being too strong even at the lowest setting. Looking forward to testing.

4 Likes

This is a known preview issue. I may be able to resolve it in the upcoming months but I’m currently working on other things.

The issue is that the original preview image draws the full image at full resolution, but the preview downscales the output to match the window size. This causes some artifacts in the preview that do not show up in the output. This is also the cause of slight pixel shifting as well. I plan on working on this soon.

5 Likes

Are you saying that sending a cropped DNG from Capture One into Photo AI does not actually crop in Photo AI? If that’s the case it may be Capture One putting crop metadata in a weird place or that Capture One does not put crop info in by default and our plugin has to handle it manually. If you send me a DNG file I can check if it’s the metadata case. Might be worth verifying that the DNG also doesn’t crop correctly in standalone mode too.

1 Like

Photo AI 1.2.10 works fine as a standalone, but I have a problem when trying to use it as a Plug-in for Photoshop CS5 - it just crashes. I can supply a screen capture of the error message if needed.

I don’t believe CS5 is supported.

1 Like

The Topaz Photo AI advertising material gives the impression that it probably does support it. It says “Get better image quality without changing your workflow. You can use Topaz Photo AI either as standalone software, or directly from most photo editors.” I’ve asked Topaz to clarify - and hopefully produce a fix? Many people who don’t like Photoshop’s subscription-based service still use Photoshop CS5.

I use CS6 and it doesn’t work.

The “jaggies” only occurs with the RAW > DNG workflow. And it’s not just a preview issue. After conversion to DNG the jaggies are still there…

2 Likes

I often have to Refine the Subject selection. I would love to have a keyboard toggle between Add and Subtract so that I do not have to keep taking my eyes of what I am working on to go to the Add and Subtract buttons and then back to my subject…it would be much faster with a keyboard toggle, like A and S. If this already exists, please tell me what it is!

I have a really simple request. Please make adding an icon to the Windows desktop an option in your installers. Not all of us what to have yet another icon added to our desktop by every installer.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Using CS6 extended. This version seems to work for me. Before it crashed when “recovering faces” on group pictures.

1 Like

Absolutely right. I have to turn noise reduction off entirely because it loses details even at the lowest setting. My current workflow is to layer the Topaz result on top of the original file and then lower its opacity or mask it to show up only where I need it, but it would be nice to have better control in Topaz to begin with.

1 Like

You can toggle between Add and Subtract while masking with the X key or by using left and right clicks.

1 Like

Thank you! I didn’t see that, and now that I know about it, it will save me lots of time.

The Adobe CS software reached end-of-life 9 years ago…

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 6.24.45 PM

Whether we like the subscription or not, Adobe has moved on and other developers such as Topaz have no obligation to try to shoehorn their current cutting-edge apps to support such old technology. It probably wouldn’t work anyway. And if it does, it’s probably not going to for long.

When dealing with computers and software, the direction of the technological flow is always forward, not backwards.

When Topaz says “most photo editors”, they are speaking of the present offerings, not those from the distant past.

New wine into old wineskins and all that.

4 Likes

Oh-oh:

NEF file (not mine) of a scan of a 1963 slide, loaded directly into PAI…

The TIFF resave (via Photoshop 2023 and Radiant Photo plug-in) does not do this: