Topaz Photo AI v1.1.4

Sorry wasn’t replying to you, was a general reply to the first Post here.

Sorry I missinterpreted your posting. Thanks for the information.

I feel like a broken record with every update, but the software plugin was working fine until I just updated to 1.1.4 and PS 2023 (24.1) is back to crashing when trying to use the plugin.

I had the same problem where Remove Noise was sharpening the background of out of focus grass and leaves (which were supposed to be out of focus) and made them ugly. I reported it to Topaz, but was told that Remove Noise always sharpens. You can set Detail to the minimum which is 1 (not 0) and that helps some, but you cannot turn off the sharpening of Remove Noise. Topaz basically told me this is a feature, not a bug. The only way to get rid of the Remove Noise sharpening is to turn off Remove Noise. Maybe if Detail would go to 0 then it would eliminate the sharpening.

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that.
Topaz should implement a possibility to avoid out of focus background sharpening to the Remove Noise tool. Without such a possibility Photo AI cannot reach the functionality of Denoise AI and Sharpen AI.

Currently, I use PAI to batch process jpgs. To make that an easier process, I offer two suggestions:

• Let users use cursor arrows to move to and activate the next image within the small banner images.
  • When changing the image size, allow users set a pixel dimension on a long or short side. That way, users can select a single dimension for a batch of horizontal and vertical images.

Thanks for your consideration, TOPAZ.

Fellow testers, please like if you agree.

Which OS?

Worked for me in Win 11.

I just did a search - It seems like you’re on Mac OS Monterey & iMac… Is that correct?

The image saved does not match the image edited. There are three subjects in the photo, and I “recovered” only one of the faces. When I saved the photo, the saved file does not have the selected subject “recovered” but rather “recovered” a different subject instead. I tried multiple times, and the results came back the same.

I’m sure there’s nothing that can be done to prevent the AI from doing this, I’m not sure if its common knowledge… but the Low Resolution Enhance option, while great, it does have a tendency to remove fine detail such as moles, birthmarks, sand/dirt and water droplets as if it were some sort of magic eraser and as well.

I know you couldn’t tell the ai not to do this but I just wanted to share.

I suppose we have all seen the unusual 4 items at the bottom of the Edit menu:

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 18.10.45

They are sort of unexpected options for a photo processing program. Denoise AI does not have them. And why are they duplicated, each one appearing twice?

Confirming the plug-in now starts in PSP Pro 2023. However the sharpen function fails with the error ‘Could not open model’ Open support article. Win10x64 latest version. Sharpen works is PAI directly.

And more keyboard shortcuts please. For example, being able to get out of the Queue window by pressing Enter would be good. When using Ctrl+W there should be no need to ask for confirmation if the image has been saved and unchanged since then.

I’ve been noticing the same problem in the last two releases. Glad to see that I’m not the only one who noticed this. It’s a major issue for the mask not to be working and fixing it should be a priority. Hopefully now that you’ve also pointed it out they will see it as something other than just an anomaly.

2 Likes

That’s a silly feature. If you mask something that means you only want changes applied to the masked area. For an application to do anything beyond that is not a good feature. I hope that they reconsider this.

3 Likes

The camera profile is not read correctly. Sony RX100M4. Note the bended lines in the picture processed with Topaz, vs. the one processed in Affinity Photo.
I’ve brought this up twice earlier, without any reaction or comments.

2 Likes

What you say is correct in terms of desired functionality but I want to address the use of the word “mask” by the app. Looking back to traditional graphics, photo darkroom work or even painting around the house, you mask out the areas that you DON’T want affected.

The Topaz “mask” could more properly be called a “selection”, which then resembles a lasso, wand, color or other type of selection in Photoshop – it’s the area you WANT to adjust to the exclusion of all others.

And the fact that the “mask” is in red screams to me that it is a protected area, like a red plastic burning tool in the photographic darkroom has no effect on the photo paper (only the areas of the plastic with holes to let light through cause changes to the image).

My question is brief and direct: are there plans to implement a more traditional brush to more easily and quickly override the results of AI-based subject detection without AI-based edge detection, or am I wasting my time with this feedback? AI has it’s potential applications, but superseding the intent of the user is not one of them.

5 Likes

Photo AI now crashes when opening the “Photoshop Plugin” via Affinity Photo. Just processed some images before I did the update and now it is crashing. Logs don’t show me anything useful relating to the “why”.

Lightroom Classic has masks too: AI masks and non-AI masks. They also are highlighted in red and adjustments happen to the red areas, not the areas outside the red mask area.

If I have 500 photos in a LR collection and decide to process 20 of them by selecting File > Plug in Extras > Process with Topaz AI and then batch process them the resulting files aren’t placed back in the original LR Collection, but only in the general catalog. I can find them by searching, but in larger Collections this can be a pain. Wish there was a way to have them be added to the Collection they came from.

The world has turned upside-down… :wink: