Topaz Photo AI v1.0.0

I agree that manually being able to select faces would be great. Adjusting the sensitivity in the auto pilot does help selecting people generally. But sometime faces our getting missed, which results in some faces being much improved whilst others are low quality still. I end up having to reduce the resolution in order to even out the quality of the faces.

1 Like

Question mark is a wildcard for a single character…Asterisk is a wildcard for a string of characters… Has been since the first versions of OS…

Any ideas what could be causing a crash of Photo AI when loading (any) image?

All other Topaz apps run fine, mighty fine now that tensor support is here, but Photo AI crashes at loading the image, it goes into “detecting subject” but no preview is visible, and crashes with no error messages at all.

Windows log of the event (reinstalled in a new directory so AI is missing in the name):
Faulting application name: Topaz Photo AI.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x63237828
Faulting module name: Qt6Gui.dll, version: 6.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x6298c3e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002b6ba
Faulting process ID: 0x3f80
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8cc5df880bf36
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Photo\Topaz Photo AI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Photo\Qt6Gui.dll
Report ID: 2b5a980b-e4a3-4f92-ad34-bd27660a33af
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Am I missing some Microsoft packages for Photo AI? It feels like this is the case somehow, any suggestions?

1 Like

Welcome to the club Tomasz. That’s my case as well for both standalone and plug-in. No remedy for that yet.

Grzegorz

2022-09-19-21-44-27.tzlog (22.4 KB)

Topaz logs attached now

I’m having strange artifact where face enhancement/auto pilot on black and white/sepia low resolution photos, it is making people’s eyes slightly blue, and in some cases bright blue. In fact it seems to be making the lips pink as well.

I can see you are using AMD Ryzen CPU. I’m on Ryzen Threadripper 3960. So, perhaps AMD is a root cause.

Bought Photo AI today, but it doesn’t work. It takes forever until an image is (not) loaded. It gets stuck on “Reading Metadata” – no matter what image I’m trying to load.

Thanks Fred, I came across this with some unknown family photos (named as such). macOS can handle these characters in the Finder.

1 Like

I have been testing Photo AI 0.6.0 and have achieved some very nice results. Downloaded my complimentary 1.0 upgrade last night and it will not install on my win 10 computer. Plenty of mem and disc space, etc. I downloaded another copy of installation with same result. Error is that it cannot create a temporary file. Investigating that error leads me to a Windows Security finding that the program is incompatible. ?
After reading through all the comments in this thread I believe I will just wait until it is tested further and has bugs fixed. I’m happy with the 0.6.0 version I already have running on this machine.

Its got this one wrong. De Noise is too aggressive, especially as noise isn’t a real issue. Image actually benefits from just a little sharpening.

Thank you. I was able to try and test what you said and you are absolutely correct about it. I was manually able to change the pixels.

I’ve been using it some more, and …

1.Boy is it SLOW compared to the stand-alone versions. I can manually open Denoise,Sharpen,GP and save the file before PAI is even near completed. Macbook Pro M1Pro/16GRam. Activity Monitor doesn’t show a lot of GPU/CPU use… it’s just SLOW…
2. Massive output files. Fed it an Olympus ORF RAW file, upscaled 2x. Resulting file was 492MB in size from a Source File of 18MB

It’s not usable in this format. How did it get released?

1 Like

Do you meet the minimum technical requirements listed on this forum? If so raise a support request at the main website.

I couldn’t agree more. So far, it is easier to use Denoise and Sharpen AI’s separately than trying to do both in Photo AI. Both faster and much more effective. I am finding that Photo AI as it is presently working, is only good for reducing noise. Sharpen is either too aggressive in most cases even set to strength of 1, and just can’t sharpen without halos and artifacts for distant objects. Somehow I expected it to be able to get a similar result as the default result in Sharpen AI, but the results are not even close.

3 Likes

Topaz is trying to do two things at once here:

1. Integrate their various products (good). Over the years they accumulated way too many separate little apps, good as each one was (and still are). More recently these offerings were whittled and distilled down to three apps for photos + one for video

2. Offer an Auto Pilot approach (questionable). Is it meant for beginning users? For efficiency? It might be a good feature if it worked faster AND recognized what the user wants to do, but it’s not doing either 100% [yet]

I would recommend continuing to pursue the integrated approach WITHOUT the forced Auto Pilot. At the very least, let the user decide if they want to wait through that processing step. Otherwise, Photo AI can just be a convenient means of accessing the technology of the Image Quality Bundle (the “Big 3”) under one roof – and that’s probably enough.

PS: I can’t speak to the file size bloat, I’m not sure what’s going on there.

7 Likes

Developers, please add the option to disable auto pilot. For me, the output is worse with auto pilot than manual adjustment 99% of the time. Thank you for your consideration.

5 Likes

I downloaded it, installed it, able to open a file and then it just closes. All the time.

Ryzen 5 5600X
16 GB DDR4 RAM
RX 6800XT+RX5600 XT

What do you mean by: able to open a file?
Can you see the picture in PAI after opening or you just point to it in PAI browser and then it shuts down?

I open it through the browser, the PAI is doing something, then shut down