Topaz Photo AI v1.0.0

I’ve been using Photo AI for a few weeks. I’ve been trying to use, I mean. The software works fine, no technical issues, but the results are poor, much inferior to Denoise and Sharpen. So far Photo AI has become more a redundance, a product that is supposed to maybe replace Denoise and Sharpen at some point, I suppose, but much inferior. I hope the product improves. So far, not good.

3 Likes

APPLE PHOTOS PLUGIN PLEASE, TOPAZ PLEASE, Apple Photos has to be the most widely used Photo filing, storage and editing app on the planet; Why don’t you make a plug-in for Photos? Photo AI + Photos = a killer combo!

FANTASTIC NEW APP; thanks for the free license as an existing Topaz owner

Astonishing results on the first try, subtle but fantastic enhancement

PLEASE make an Apple Photos Plugin!

1 Like

Very nice truck illustration!

1 Like

PS Much less important :wink: but the App Icon is very weak visually compared to the main Topaz app

Love to see the Shield with a P

Screenshot  2022-09-19 at 07.40.35

3 Likes

Eric,
I just installed Topaz Photo AI and tried it out. Just very quickly, without making any manual settings. Right now I’m working on a project with old (1940’s) negatives. Unfortunately these are not in good condition. In addition, the resolution and grain are not stunning.

As a small impression of what a great product you have created, here is a test image. Please be sure to zoom in the faces. It is incredible what Photo AI has brought out of the noise. As I said, I didn’t adjust anything myself (the great offer for Photo AI came unexpectedly- after getting up and before the breakfast :slight_smile: ). I am really thrilled, the first time that an AI, in my experience, a really excellent result. Surprisingly excellent. THANK YOU for that.

You have managed to create something really great once again. Thank you! Kind regards from the Canary Islands :palm_tree: Martin

2 Likes

Hi, when using a Wacom tablet, the interface on Photo AI is not responsive. The sliders do work with the stylus, but none of the buttons work when tapped. All of your other programs work fine when using a stylus. Thanks

I noticed the “Autopilot” pull-down menu after making this suggestion. It might make more sense to simply add Remove Noise, Sharpen, and Recover Faces to this menu. It appears that the menu selections are preserved across application launches.

Mouse disappears in full screen

1 Like

Inconsistent sharpening & random blurring. How do we manually refine subjects & edges? Topaz Mask is wholly inept at edge refinement & recovery, hoping AI eventually overcomes these serious shortcomings.

Apple Photos is only a photo managing app. The “edit” you make to a photo does not affect the photo itself, it is stored seperately and applied when apple photo displays the image. If you give your “edited” photo to a friend who uses a different viewer, all edit is missing and the image looks like if nothing happened before.

In smaller size this looks decent, but with a bigger screen it looks like someone replaced the faces.

After updating Mac OS Monterey to v.12.6, PAI 1.0 stoped working. Capture One 21 created a copy of the file, and sent to PAI for processing, but unexpectedly message pop-up.

My first thought was, oh no, Apple again did something wrong, but it’s just incremental update, not a new OS Ventura, or whatever its name. I decided to do investigation myself. Once it worked, and I posted my findings in this forum before, why can’t it work second time. I might be able to help developers to pinpoint to the source of the problem, to save their time and efforts, and include fix in the next update.

I started to try different camera’s files, type of files, and get no positive result. After I decided to shorten file names, on the same files, that I processed before, using PAI. It’s only option that is left. I am well educated person, but not in computer science.

I usually name my files, start with camera name, place pictures was taken, and date. It produce long file names, but if i need it, it’s easy to find. Like “Nikon D700 - Our Vacation, Paris, France, July 21-28, 2015” for example, as is shortest one.

I started to cut one letter after another, and try C1 after each deleted letter or number to proceed. After 25-30 tries, nothing worked, and I decided to make myself espresso. I was very curious, because Stand alone PAI doesn’t have any problem to process those files, but Plug-n does. I was in shoes of beta testers.

Finally I gave up, made screen shots, load them in Capture One and made my last try to use PAI Plug-In, to increase small size PAI message for posting, and file name should be ok, as I used it before many times for posting my pictures on this forum, but I got it again. What’s wrong with that name?

I started to laugh. It’s really that IA so smart, that can read the message, realized I want to complain to developers about PAI behaviour, and try to stop me to doing that.

In that moment, I’ve got “Aha”. As everyone knows, “all good things must come to an end”.

Only one thing I did not try is … to delete spaces between letters/numbers, and my screen shot name, from “Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 11.04.33 PM” that computer generated automatically, became look like “ScreenShot2022-09-18at11.05.19PM” and It worked!

For some reason, after update my Mac OS Monterey to the latest v.12.6, PAI stoped accepting files with spaces in file names. This is my findings, that please, need to be addressed in the next PAI update.

considering how good there three apps are right now, and the fact that they keep improving, i was shocked when i saw the results from P ai compared to Noise ai with a raw image. it makes no sense to release software that would tarnish their image. I think the idea of P ai is fine in principal, but it would only work if it operated at the same quality as their existing apps.

3 Likes

sorry i do not knwow what io just did, I filled the screen with a side-by-side of the image. Only i cannot retun to the other screen options. Esc is a kind of stabndard, this does not work. ’ View’ igive only zoom options. No interactive interface options are visable.
In ‘file’ i cannot save my changes too, closw without saving is the only option.
May be an option to add some extra screen-change-options in the newe 1.0.0.1 version . :smiley:

Thanks

Hi,
great product. I still have an issue with GPS coordinates not being brought back into lightroom. It seems to keep them when used as a standalone app. Possibly a lightroom issue but the other topaz products seem to bring them back okay. It seems to only be happening to photos taken with a mobile phone, (Apple and Android) Photos that are taken with a DSLR keep the GPS coordinates once they have been added using Geotag photos 2.

Thanks for the beginnings of a great product!

I really have to say “Photo AI” is really, really disappointing:frowning:

Here is an Example as a Comparison (“Photo AI” vs “GigaPixel AI + Sharpen AI”)…

And a zoomed Area from this Picture, to see the Details:

5 Likes

Possible bug: I opened an “Apple Photos” image directly via PAI “browse images” button and upon import, it rotated the image 180 degrees! Other than not recognizing faces, it processed the image just fine. See attached. Apple MacBook Pro M1, latest OS, 32gb RAM.

are you sure the image was originally not made with the camera upside down or something? the apple photos app does not apply changes to the original images, it only saves notifications about made changes and maybe about the suggested orientation of the image maybe saved as an info my the photo camera itself. so when you open it in apple photo it turns the image by 180 ° but other applications maybe not. :slight_smile:

I have been comparing as well and am in agreement. Did you use SAI first, the GPAI? Or the other way around? The former would be the recommended way, but maybe the latter works better?