Topaz Photo AI v1.0.1

Processing an image in Photo AI 1.0.1 out of Capture One 22 crashed the PC. After reboot PHoto Ai does not load any image anymore. I desinstalled Photo AI 1.0.1 completly and reinstalled from scratch but it will not load images.
How to fix that issue?

I could fix it myself

I would like to provide two inputs.

1. it would be very helpful to have the ability to increase the size of the photo even by a factor other than those proposed, i.e., settable.

2. the face enhancement process is great but lacks the ability to be able to extend the areas where it is applied. So I often get faces with half hair in low definition and half in high. It would be a great help to have the ability to define the areas, or to be able to extend the displayed squares to include the whole face and hair. See the example

Thanks

face

4 Likes

Any thoughts on having an Apple M1 MAX version? If I select M1 Ultra for the processor it seems to use more CPU and GPU than Auto, but I have so much horse power not being used.

So i really like the software. It gives great results and i am happy i can now bundle all the actions in one program. But I also have a few pointers.

• The processing of one image takes a long time. I try to process a bundle of about 1000 pictures and that takes me more than the whole night.
  • If for some reason the program gets closed (for instance when the computer shuts down at nighttime, or your laptom runs out of power or whatever… The Queue is not rememberd. So you have to find out manually where the program stopped en start from there againd. I needed to do that 4 times in one map of photos before i had them all processed.

So my whishes are mostly based on usabillity and process speed. The results are awesome, so big kudos for that!

I am finding Photo AI with Autopilot very useful for revisiting my old jpegs.
However for my recent hi-res CR3 images, I still prefer to use DeNoise AI and/or Sharpen AI for fine control - perhaps this will change as Photo AI evolves…
One thing that would be immediately useful in Photo AI would be for it to the processed image returned to LR Classic to have “tpzAI” (or something similar) appended to the edited file name.

1 Like

i suspect the auto/cpu/m1 ultra is a placeholder for the processor drop-down.

i’m getting identical timing on all three choices for the same image when running on my m1 ultra.
also, as you noted, lots of processor/gpu are still idling.

i am closing the image and restarting PAI then selecting the processor for each timed run.

Am I the only one thinking this app is not ready for primetime at all and very buggy on a mac?

Almost anything I put in there doesn’t seem to do anything. It scans the subject, then says “removing medium luminance noise.” and the the whole GUI seems to freeze where if I try to click on anything, nothing updates.

Am I missing something?

Monterey 12.6
MacBook pro 2021 - M1 Max - 64GB Ram

What happened here? On my M1 MBP I updated Ventura to beta 9, then updated Photo AI to 1.0.1. And now my graphics glitches are gone! Who fixed this? :wink:

PS: Processing Is still amazingly slow, but I understand we’ve got a new build coming soon.

somehow the thubmnails generated by Photo AI 1.0.1 are following or not exif orientation. attached is a group of before after thumbnails. Actual photos are correctly oriented after processing with Photo AI 1.0.1 but thumbnails arent. Checked with xnview and windows explorer. see the “exif orientation icon on each corresponding thumbnail”

I’d love if it was faster:

1. autopilot: if multiple images are loaded and CPU is otherwise idle, autopilot on all images in background.
  2. interactive: when bouncing back and forth between a configuration (e.g., changing the sharpening model), why not cache the last or previous results instead of recomputing?
4 Likes

In case anyone else runs into this…

I found an issue with Photo AI (1.0.1) not retaining EXIF data. It turns out that if you have a “|” in the file path (volume/folder/file), Photo AI will not write the EXIF data to the processed file. My image management folder naming convention is “YYYY-MM-DD | subject or location” and that was causing the issue.

Support was able to track it down from the logs and they hope that it will be addressed in the next few weeks.

1 Like

PC or mac?

Mac - Macbook Pro M1, MacOS Monterey

Hi: I’ve been using v1.0.1 for a week or so. Two problems.

1. The auto settings for birds don’t work very well. Insufficient noise reduction and too much sharpening. I mentioned this on a previous post.
  2. Too often the Photo Ai adjustments do not appear when I return to Lightroom Classic. Seems to be a bit hit and miss and I haven’t been able to pin down what I’m doing to cause it. Or, if I’m doing anything to cause it!
    But when it works, or I get the settings to stick, I like the results.
    Any advice please if it is me causing the problem?
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
    32Gb
    MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
    Nvidia GTX 1650 Super

Wish list…

1. Batch converting with custom base adjustings for all or selectet images
    This helps with a lot of pictures in one process.
  2. Ad a preview button
    No prerendering or analytics prozesses, speed up the prozess of a lot of pictures.
  3. Open all side tabs, and we close it only with mouse click
  4. Ad one folder with many subfolders to import
    Helps also to convert over the night many pictures in one process.

I think this helps a lot for many of us users… THX

First attempt at working with this face was concerning – I thought I had to manually recover it and results were scary (maybe because it didn’t need recovering?):

So I went to Gigapixel to see what would happen and results were good as usual:

Back to Photo AI, it felt competitive with its older brother and delivered this time :wink:

The only difference was a slight tonal change (less red or pink than GAI). The source photo (taken 2004) had been treated first for color correction elsewhere:

• I don’t want subject detection to be automatic. Make the automation process a manual button-push. Give users a checkmark for enabling auto-subject-find just like the way we can have it not auto-upscale.

• Absolutely need manual brushing for removing/adding masking.

• I click on the preview to see the before/after. Please overscan the preview and let me pan a few pixels in all directions (100px?) without triggering a re-process. Usually a twitch of my mouse while clicking causes a lengthly reprocess. Don’t want that.

• I’m seeing very little CPU nor GPU utilization on my M1 Ultra. Maybe this is just not something that can be parallelized?

6 Likes

I’d also prefer that we set a Preference in the Menus top of UI (that can be overridden if desired in the settings panel under Sharpen) to not automatically “Sharpen Subject Only”. The subject detection is still quirky - so that becomes an issue when the default is to sharpen only subject every time the product is launched.

I’m new to Topaz software, so i decided to get Photo AI instead of the three separate apps. As i read on the Topaz website it should be pretty much the same, even better.

I’m using a Win 11 system based on a i7 12700K processor with 32 Gb RAM. Shooting with a EOS R sending the CR3 raws to Photoshop CC.

The most annoying issue are the crashes, Photo AI just shuts down, stand alone or as Photoshop CC plugin doesn’t matter. This happen mostly when I ask al lot of processing, sometimes during saving, after I already got the preview.

I’ve noticed that the recover faces function often blur parts of the image around the face. Is there a separate mask for the face that doesn’t show any where? Would be nice to see/adjust this manually.

The mask function doesn’t do the job right, often misses part of the subject. As workaround I let Photo AI sharpen the whole image and I do the masking afterwards in Photoshop CC, witch is working fast en correct.
I find it strange that it is impossible to adjust the mask manually a brush to paint in or out a mask would be a great feature :slight_smile:

But, overall, the results are really amazing.

2 Likes