Topaz Photo AI v0.9

use latest version windows 10 and latest version PS cc. In the past I could open an image in PS and then select file/automate/gigipixel to enlarge the image. That no longer works. It just creates another layer.

I was finally able to enlarge in the stand alone but can’t find the resulting file. In the stand alone I must enlarge the entire image, whereas before, just my cropped selection.

Instead of incrasing my workfloiw, Photo AI has complicated it as far as giga pixel is concerned.

since my previous reply, I tried it again and the file/automate//gigipixel now is working. I think perhaps I may have been trying it on the raw file. On this attempt, I first cropped and opened in regular edit in PS and it worked OK.

Thanks for your assistance.

Is there a way to modify the mask that is used? The auto subject detection works good but sometimes needs to be modified, since it misses areas (i.e. I have a photo of fox puppies that did not pick up the noses.)

I know in Denoise and Sharpen, there is a way to mask what you want to be modified…is this possible in Photo AI? Thanks.

1 Like

From day one with PAI it seems to think every photo is in focus.

I purposely tried a few very OOF images and still PAI came back with “in focus”.

Is this on the list to take a look at?

2 Likes

Sony raw thumbnails don’t show in tray.

Some micro contrast adjustment can help with color smoothing. A little exaggerated to demonstrate.

Added contrast on the left, starting PAI 9.0 on the right.

1 Like

I am experiencing two issues with latest update:

1. When saving more than one image, the first image is saved to destination but the program does not proceed to to process and save the next image in the queue. The program just sits doing nothing and does not proceed to next item in the queue. So I have to save, quit, reload each image to be processed.

2. For some reason the program is cropping the images when saving by about 50% even though the resize feature was not used.

I’m using MacBook Pro, M1 Max. Panasonic G9 raw images.

1 Like

Today, i used first time Photo AI v0.9 to test if my EXIF is intact. It’s worked!
i uploaded a sony raw file (ARW) , i never used a JPEG directly.

Quite very surprised about the processing speed and easy to use versus AI products.
I dont noticed any major issue until now. I very slighty used or tested, i’ll use alot more next days, ill be back here if any problem or issue.

If im not mistaken, now its just a basic version with less features versus AI products ?
I have some suggestions or if already planned on future releases in Photo AI .

• i must be able to crop my photo (ex Giga AI)
  • i must be able to customize my sharpen subject mask (ex Sharpen AI)

Keep doing good job.
Thanks

Mathieu
Windows 10 (latest updates), Nvidia 2060, 32 go ram, Intel i7 10th Gen

Unfortunately, until the horrible subject detection and masking is sorted, Photo ai is not going to be fit for purpose: Well, my purpose, anyway.

The only attribute I use on the entire image is noise reduction - Sharpening is only applied to the subject - Never to the background, so I need the very best edge detection (such as Capture One’s magic bush) etc.

A minor niggle is that practically all my images have ‘Severe Noise’ according to photo ai; particularly sand, grit & leaves, but this is easily allowed for.

1 Like

PhotoAI V09 Standalone, Macintosh M1 32gb RAM.

The four attached images are as follows (judge for yourself). Note: all images have a curve applied to enhance what is going on in the shadows.

1. Original JPEG @Max Quality
  2. Autopilot
  3. Sharpen+Enhance
  4. Sharpen+Enhance+Denoise

Of the three PhotoAI-processed images, only #3 is passable (just barely).

1. Original JPEG @Max Quality

2. Autopilot

3. Sharpen+Enhance

4. Sharpen+Enhance+Denoise

1 Like

When I used the Lightroom plugin extra on a test image and chose “use original image” the final result OVERWROTE the original DNG. I would have thought that choosing that option would have used the raw from the original image but saved with a unique name. At the very least on save it should have warned that it would overwrite the original, but preferably it should at least the option of saving with a unique file name (*-Topaz.dng) for example.

I am running the latest version of Photoshop Elements (2022) on a Mac Studio with Monterey 12.5.1. When I installed Photo AI v0.7, it automatically installed a plugin in the Element’s plugins folder (TopazPhotoAI.plugin). I have updated to both v0.8 and v0.9; the plugin continues to work. I don’t know if this is relevant, but when I installed it, I ensured that Elements was not running.

It is a real dilemma because users such as you seem to have no problem but this doesn’t seem to show up for me. I even reinstalled Photo AI 0.9 with Elements closed but nothing showed up. A search of my Mac for that plug-in came up empty.

Can someone from the development team please troubleshoot this??

Version 0.9 still will not run correctly, the old ERROR “Could not use model” message again.

Looks like the installation does not install required model software.
2022-09-03-09-22-4.tzlog (187.6 KB)
Tried a repair function and there seems to be more files written to disk when this is done but no difference to the result.

No denoising is obvious when the image is loaded and moving the denoise slider to 100 does nothing to the image.

The Photoshop plug-in does appear in other programmes but does not do anything different to a standalone start.

Will not waste too much more time on this software, Denoise, Sharpen and Gigapixel all work well, so why change?

you tried with a raw file ?

I like the autopilot, the denoise and sharpening is spot on. It would be nice if I could control the amount of face recovery that is used (maybe this is possible and I just don’t know how to do it) at 100%, it makes the faces look too plastic - it removes freckles which I find adorable…

Have you tried lowering the “Strength” of the Face Recovery slider?

BTW, if this face still looks plastic, there’s a reason for that — it is.

That’s a weird one as I recently upgraded from 0.6 to 0.9 on both Mac and Windows, both which updated the models on launch as expected.

Windows 11 GPU RTX3060

Checked the new RAW color rendering with Nikon P1000 RAW
It’s lighter , a little bit better but far to be good for me
I don’t understand how difficult it is, Many softwares are giving an acceptable default rendering If you cannot I still suggest you put a minimum optional settings like the brightness/contrast filter in Studio 2 and
that PAI keep memory of our prefered rendering At least that will be helpfull when we are processing a series of RAW files from the same camera
Here I compare with the SOOC jpg we can see how flat is the rendering ,sooc on left , pai on right

Compare TIFF and DNG exported for the same settings and I still found differences with kind of artifacts or halos on the dng. I believe this due to the sharpen filter and I don’t think it’s coming from the difference in the colors look at the arm DNG on Left ,TIFF on right