Topaz Photo AI v0.4

OK I have uninstalled the GeForce drivers with DisplayDriverUninstaller (DDU) - installed the NVIDIA Studio drivers.

Still crashes.

I have uninstalled Photo AI, re-downlaoded the installer and re-installed… still crashes.

Log files attached.

Logs.zip (6.1 KB)

2 Likes

And here i am using a dev build of windows, running a dev Nvidia driver [525.26]…working flawlessly.

Even recognized both faces in this random banner for Sherlock.

Upgraded from 0.2, there are some issues seen, which were not present previously, I am testing it mostly on scanned photos:

• no faces recognition at all after upgrade when using autopilot
  • when I manually enable face recognition, all filters are disabled on the image (even if they are enabled in GUI, and still no face recognitio at all) - just all filtering is off
    I am using it on AMD GPU (RX5500M), maybe there is some licensing issue? I reseated it from my PC, because I wanted to test this SW on vacation :smiley:

Hi ! Face recognition work here, but sometimes, it’s not. but it’s work. but i installed directly 0.4, not from a previous version, could it be related ? how many picture did you tried ?

i noticed as well the Gui issue you talk but differently. If i turn off the auto feature, all filters that were set up by the auto mode before work. but if while in Auto, i set up a difference Scale (like x2 or a 1080 height), then, the filters disapear when i click on Auto Off. Had to let the software do the auto procedure normally, then i hit Auto Off, and then, i can enter the scale, and all this is working ok.
(i tell this from memory of 2 days ago usage, maybe it’s a bit different, my memory is a mess :wink: )

A Masking function could let users brush out/in any desired area of processing (face recovery, sharpening, denoising).

I agree with you that would be a vital feature for a prime time product release!

1 Like

Works well on old photos

I checked a couple of images, I have one processed and saved from 0.2 - and this looks like faces were recognised and redefinied compared to 0.4 output. Anyway I will try to reinstall - this is alpha, so something can not work :wink: Sharpen feature is very good, but it emphasizes scanned dust/speckles - but that’s side effect, maybe in future there will be AI engine which will remove dust without removing eyes:D

have the same issue with pictures featuring redhead person (same with gigapixel). it would need a special analysis, and when the Ai see a redhead person, it turn off face recovery and noise reduction.

In this extreme example, PAI does not even find a face in Autopilot:

In manual mode, it does nothing to the face at all:

Here is the original, treatment with GFP-GAN, and finally GPAI, which DID process the face (please view at 100%, even though the forum is limiting full size display [original is 6731px wide]):

it seems that if the software can’t see a face, this feature is totally turned off.

Even turned on manually it couldn’t find the face, but GPAI can.

i know, that’s not what i told. i was telling that if the software doesn’t see the face, the face recovery can’t apply. and yes i understood that Gpixel saw the picture, i noticed the same amount of error. sometimes photo Ai see the faces, sometimes not, i got “no face”, on big face picture take half of the picture, so pretty hard to miss it lol :wink: . certainly this point must get a bit better ;).

Thanks, though I was hoping that a manual override might help it along…

So it seems PAI must be further tuned for faces. Work in progress!

1 Like

which kind of makes sense, to enhance a face you need to be able to locate it first, so the off switch can stop if processing detected faces but it if can’t find a face in the first place switching it on won’t help.

absolutly, and unless the software can have a 90% positive result on picture, a manual indication of where is/are the face(s) could not be a too much bad idea. but certainly this will work better with time, gigapixel work better on this, and the software certainly share a lot of common stuffs (code, etc…)

1 Like

I have done some more test - I reverted back to 0.2, and it appears, that there is issue with my laptop only - on my PC everything was working fine on 0.2 (didn’t test 0.4) - on my laptop also face recovery set to on turns off all filters. It is kind of strange:/

Could also be fun deliberately using it where there isn’t a face, a bit like the AI ‘dreams’ eye’s and dogs stuff, that was all the rage a few years ago. Not exactly what the App’s designed for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, Just like to point out we do not all take images with human faces in them, in Sharpen stand alone it can detect a bird from within an image so how about giving that option within both Denoise stand alone and this new Photo AI so we can work on that part of the image that is most important?
Also give the option to remove the face detection part of the image processing as for wildlife it’s just a waste of the programs efforts, Lastly I no longer use Adobe Lightroom, moved over to On1 Photo Raw 2022 so would like to see an option to open Topaz Photo from within On1 if possible. Thankyou.