Topaz Photo 1.3.0 creates DNG files which are no longer readable in DxO PhotoLab 6

After updating from version 1.2.9 to 1.3.0, the DNG files produced by Topaz Photo AI are no longer editable with DxO PhotoLab 6.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Save a DNG file with version 1.2.9

2. Open with DxO PhotoLab 6 → opens normaly
    Note: the EXIF data shows the proper camera / lens / exposure information and the proper software version and producer (Nikon Corporation, in my case)

3. Save a DNG file with version 1.3.0

4. Open with DxO PhotoLab 6 → “Cannot load image data”
    Note: the EXIF data shows no camera / lens / exposure information and the software version is changed to Topaz Photo AI

This is a major setback, unable to use Topaz AI within my standard workflow.

Is there a way tu uninstall the 1.3.0 update and return to 1.2.9?

Topaz Photo AI [v1.3.0] on [Windows]

Follow-up info: The DNG files produced in Topaz Photo 1.3.0 are also impossible to open with Adobe Lightroom (ver. 4.3) and Adobe Photoshop (ver. 22.4.2). This renders version 1.3.0 utterly unusable. Downgrading to 1.2.9.

Have you tried the DNG with current versions of LR and Photoshop?

The DNG files from Topaz Photo AI v1.3.0 and v1.3.1 are both opening on my computer.

Could you send me one of the original RAW files and the output DNG file so I can check what is happening?

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.
Dropbox File Request

It sounds like there is an issue with the metadata writing.

Hi @Lingyu , thank you for your interest in this matter. The files were uploaded - the original raw (nef) and two dng’s - created with version 1.2.9 and 1.3.0. Yes, it does look like a metadata issue.

And yes, the PS is up-to-date, now using PS 2023 ver 24.4.1 (latest update earlier today)

Thanks for sending the files. I used v1.3.1 and processed the NEF files and both the DNG files are correctly formatted on my computer. They both open in Photoshop and Lightroom Classic.

Can you update to v1.3.1 and let me know if you are still having issues with the output files?

Correct! Version 1.3.1 opens in DxO, PS, LR, etc. without problems. The exiff data are intact. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.