Topaz AI apps and eGPU use

I’m having trouble getting any of the AI apps to use my eGPU. I could use help.

I have a new Mac Mini (64GB, 2TB, 3.2 GHz 6 core i7), a Razer Core X Chroma box and a Radeon RX 5700XT card. The enclosure and card are recognized by the Mini (System Report). Geekbench engages the eGPU up to 100%, so the card is working.

None of the Topaz AI apps I’ve tried uses the eGPU. I’ve checked the “Prefer External GPU” box in Get Info. I’ve done all the superstitious combinations of plugging/unplugging hot/cold, internal/external monitor, etc.

I’ve run 18 tests of Video Enhance AI (all six algos x three compute conditions) to see what’s going on. The only time VEAI used the eGPU was during playback of 30-frame preview loops. Even then, it was only loading the eGPU up to 11% max. No eGPU usage otherwise.

Topaz’ site does not offer even a simple table that shows each AI product and its ability (or not) to use an eGPU.

I care because I’d like to buy VEAI. But without eGPU acceleration, it’s just too slow. I’m running an enhancement now that is going to take 10 days, 11 hours: my trial period ends sometime on day 9. I like the product, but 10-day processing is out of the question.

I bought the Utility Suite, and while it would be nice if they would use an eGPU, they’re fast enough that it’s a convenience, not a necessity.

Can anybody tell me (a) what’s the status of Topaz’ AI apps with respect to using an eGPU, and (b) assuming they use eGPUs, what can I do to make them do so on my system? Thanks very much for your help.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Can’t get AI products to use eGPU