Tips for enhancing old matte wedding photo?

Trying to enhance old wedding photo of my parents that was captured through either an old scanner or camera picture and seems dithered. The facial enhancement nicely cleans up the faces. Is there a way to clean up the rest of the photo ?

Thanks,

Ward

Hi, here’s a link from walter.bobrowski about descreen with Photo AI’s DeNoise, although I haven’t tried it myself it certainly looks amazing

Hope this helps

First you need to totally remove the texture pattern from the image, then run Photo AI again.

Here’s a handy FREE Plugin to do exactly that and an excellent YouTube tutorial which explains how

Pattern Suppressor tutorial v2

The FREE plugins/actions can be downloaded here: http://ft.rognemedia.no/

This tutorial demonstrates how to remove periodically repeating patterns in Photoshop using the FT-plugins by Ronald Chambers, and the accompanying Photoshop actions

Hope this helps

​ ​ ​ ​

Thanks Andrew - I’ll go check those out. On the Noise Removal Strong V2 (beta) - do I need to do anything do download the beta ?

Hl, Welded, the answer is no, if you have the latest version of Photo AI v 1.3.9 then under the Remove Noise tab Strong v2 is now out of beta and is simply called Strong.

Photo AI - Remove Noise tab
Normal beta v2 is now called simply Normal
Strong beta v2 is now called simply Strong
The old Strong is now called Extreme

If you’re using an old version of Photo AI say 1.3.8 then under the Remove Noise tab you’re see Normal, Normal v2 beta, Strong and Strong v2 beta

So from Photo AI v1.3.9, under the Remove Noise tab moving forward just select Strong
A bit long-winded I know but I hope this clarifies things for you and answer your query

Andy

Now that the Beta update has been full incorporated, the update appears as ‘Strong’ in the Remove Noise option. In my particular example, I lowered Detail setting to “0” and slowly increased the Strength setting until the moiré disappeared. In my example, this was achieved at a Strength setting of “26”. Values greater than “26” began to introduce other extraneous artifacts. I did have a different image with extremely accented screen patterning that required a first pass with an FFT transform (GIMP) which removed most but not all of the artifact, followed up with a slight blur, and then Photo AI to fully eliminate the moiré patterning.

1 Like

Thanks for all the pointers ! The FFT → blur → Topaz worked well. I’m sure if I spent a day playing with it, I could even get it better, but it’s for a cookie I’m putting together. So, here’s the before and after with about an hour of time put in.