The Bible - Norman Rockwell Style

Still trying to find a workflow that creates the Rockwell look. It helps if your original image has exaggerated facial expression or posture. This was a black and white photo I tried to give the Rockwell look. I’m always a little confused as they say I should desaturate the image …but many of the Rockwell images I have seen are very saturated in color. So I did the best I could with this …your thoughts are appreciated.

9 Likes

Great job on colorizing Bob. I know what you mean about saturated vs. de-saturated. I’m thinking saturation is okay on the subjects but de-saturated background that fades around the edges.

1 Like

Thank you Kathy, I appreciate your insight and comments …

1 Like

I really like the effect and I agree with your comments about Rockwell’s style, the only thing I see that kind of stands out is the face color seems to be blown out, but it doesn’t really affect the result just draws your eyes to them.

2 Likes

Thank you Don, love your insight. Yes, the faces seem a little washed out. I did try to put some red on their cheeks as Rockwell seems to do that alot. Again, makes me wonder about the no saturated vs. saturated look of Rockwell.

1 Like

This is intriguing to me.

It’s like a mix of Rockwell & Gordon Parks’ style of photography. Both of whom produced work I really admire!

1 Like

Rockwell was what I was going for …was not familiar with Parks work, but yes, you’re right, it looks like a cross of the two artists. Thanks for the info and education…

1 Like

When I look at a Rockwell it strikes me there are a number of things that embody his style:

• His figures are slightly caricatures - not as extreme as what boardwalk or fairgrounds quick draw artists do but somewhat exaggerated features

• I think he did what I used to do in fashion design - he outlines his figures to help them stand out from their backgrounds. I wonder if either using Find Edges (selectively) in Ps or converting your image to a sketch then using a blend mode that emphasizes the lines around figures (then masking) might be a way to do that

• I also think his non-people elements tend to have less contrast (to put the emphasis on the more contrast rich, outlined figures)

His color palettes are from another era too.

You’ve captured a lot of that!

1 Like

Agree with everything you said …I have tried to darken outlines of people. I think there is a lot of Black in Rockwell’s work. Burning and dodging helps get that look.

1 Like

Nice work Bob!!!

1 Like

I appreciate it Ken, thank you …