Support for 360 lat-long video upscales

:sob:

360 video for VR starts life at a 2:1 latlong object. (And even if you give VEAI 360 Spherical video with the metadata, it doesn’t understand taht anyway… )
When VEAI upscales this, it isn’t aware that it needs to match the pixels on the left of the frame with the pixels on the other end, since these will join up later. As a result there is a very, VERY harsh and immensely visible join line running down the picture of any 360 video you upscale with VEAI. Can it be blurred out in Da Vinci Resolve, yes, but it’s so much extra work.

Bearing in mind that VR is one of the few places that resolution really makes a very critical difference, it’s really a shame the VEAI can’t cope with this format. It’s actually the entire reason I bought the product, but so far have been very limited in the usage because of this limitation.

You can see the result here in this video.

Still from above video:

Another example:

Oh yes, for XR LED studios we also do only latlongs (360° spherical videos) with an real need for VEAI: this is absoluetly, absolutely critical. I upvote this and and really really hope you guys can do something about it!

Thanks for bringing this up.

Indeed, we just ran into the problem in production. It does not only appears with upscales, but also at 100% scale (with a denoise / sharpen pass with Proteus).

Having that 360° VR videos compatibilty (=lat-long) would really, really be useful.

Hi! I second this. I mainly use VEAI to improve 360 footage before reframing it.

Is this still occuring? In my test videos it seemed to be fixed…but I mainly used frame interpolation to higher framerates…

By the way I added a quite similar request here: community.topazlabs[DOT]com/t/official-360-3d-support/56383

Hi everyone,

first of all: Thanks for your amazing software

Since we film professional 360° stereoscopic (left eye on top) videos and need to upframe, enhance or upscale these videos (8K3D360°30fps to 8K3D360°120fps e.g.) we would highly appreciate official 360°and especially 3D support.

Not only we need to reinsert the Meta Data all the time - the most important thing would be: Official support for these formats, as 360° means a different projection and 3D means 1 video consists of 2 videos that are related to each other and if there is a mismatch in interpolated frames/pixels eyes hurt since they can’t figure out the image properly.

With only 30→60fps it seems watchable but it is inofficial and we fear getting worse results after each update and need to review everything in detail.

This is getting more important due to launches of Meta Quest 3 or Apples Vision Pro VR Headset, Tik Tok enabling 360° videos in specific regions etc. So going with the time here wouldn’t only help us but also all other small and big ceeators for that space and saves you a spot in a field where hardware pushes towards its limits since even our 5.500€ camera isn’t able to record 8k in more than 30fps and 8k spread on a 360° sphere is the bare minimum you need for professional videos.

Please vote on this feature if you think this

i really wish to have VR 180 and VR 360 to 2D Upscaling model in the near future . and compress VR Upscaling too.