Suggestions for approaching a 10-frame gap

I’m working on a restoration project and I’ve run into an interesting problem. The film print apparently broke and was spliced back together, leaving a gap of 10 frames in the video. I already have the audio patched in from another source, but that’s not an option with the video due to the quality difference.

The gap is small enough that it seems intuitively like I ought to be able to fill that in somehow, but none of the tools I’ve tried have produced even remotely satisfactory results. I’ve tried TVAI, Avisynth framesurgeon, and pt_Framerestore but they all produce weird warped frames that I couldn’t possibly use. I also tried doubling the frame rate of the shot with TVAI and hoping I might get enough interpolated frames to get by but that didn’t work either. Anybody want to take a stab at this problem?

Guessing it doesn’t have a still background?
If it did, you could look up a tutorial of how to remove anything from an image with DALL-E. Just a shot in the dark, but it might be able to generate you some in-between frames that can help the interpolation not get warped.

There’s nothing static, unfortunately. There’s not a lot of motion, but there is enough to create problems.

My other thought was create an image sequence and remove 10 frames in a pattern so that the originally lost 10 frames are just a continuation of the pattern. Just do enough frames to try all the interpolation models on it (Slomo factor of like 10X?) and see if any create something worth using as fill-in. Again, I can think of several reason how this wouldn’t do better than what you have done already, but it’s a stab at it.

1 Like

Or, someone showed that FlowFrames can generate in-between frames with just two frames awhile back on this forum. (If I remember correctly and am not making it up. Maybe they input more than two frames.) You could try that.

1 Like