Studio project files not working

Hi

When I choose File → Save As → Save as types → Project Files (*.tsp)
everything seems to go OK (without any error messages)
but no new file will be created for the disc.

I have tried save to SSD and HDD but the result is same
no new file will be created for the disc.

I can save jpg, tif and png format but not project files.

Topaz Studio Ver: 1.4.2
Operating System: Windows 10
Graphics Hardware: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 385.69
CPU RAM (MB): 16313
VRAM [Total, Used] (MB): 8192, 6144
Preview Limit (Pixels): 8000

Ticket Id #128562 Created October 07, 2017 22:42
WITHOUT ANY RESPONSE

You may need to wait for Support to respond, at first you should have received a email acknowledging that you have submitted a request.

If you didn’t receive that you will need to submit another request, if you did receive that just give them a nudge by replying to that request. Do not raise another request if you did receive acknowledgement.

On the issue of saving the project files just make sure that you have read/write permissions for that particular directory that you are saving the file to.

Note that I don’t have any issue on Windows 10 with using Project files and I haven’t seen any other reports.

You may need to wait for Support to respond, at first you should have received a email acknowledging that you have submitted a request.

• Ticket Id #128562 Created October 07, 2017 22:42, and yes I have email “Request 128562 has been received by Topaz Labs!”

If you didn’t receive that you will need to submit another request, if you did receive that just give them a nudge by replying to that request. Do not raise another request if you did receive acknowledgement.

• I’ve done two reminders to that ticket

On the issue of saving the project files just make sure that you have read/write permissions for that particular directory that you are saving the file to.

• I have read/write permissions, 100% sure

Note that I don’t have any issue on Windows 10 with using Project files and I haven’t seen any other reports.

And yes, I have updated to Topaz Studio Ver: 1.4.3

Can you send me project file so I can test if I can open/resave that

The best option is to wait for Support to respond, if I look on the support site and they seem to have a large number of requests as they have posted the following:

“We’re still pushing through a large volume of support requests, so please be patient, and only submit your request one time. We’ll make sure everyone receives an answer!”

Update to Topaz Studio Ver: 1.4.4
same behaviour, cant save project files

I have found what is causing that error.
Those project files are actually ZIP files with TSP extension.
When you save project file Studio first save that file to TEMPORARY folder with ZIP extension and
then moves that ZIP file to selected directory and change extension to TSP.

When I open file “topaz-test.jpg”, make adjustment and try to save project file this is what happen.

• Studio try to save ZIP file to TEMPORARY directory
  • in my PC TEMPORARY directory is "c:\temp" (because that’s the way I like it)
  • now error happens: Studio try to create file C:\temptopaz-test-Edit.zip
  • it does not use TEMPORARY folder, it use TEMPORARY folders PARENT directory
  • in my case that parent directory is C:\ where normal user can’t save files

My test case 1.
Run Studio with administrator access level
Now I can save project files because Studio can create file C:\temptopaz-test-Edit.zip

My test case 2.
Chance TEMPORARY folder to c:\temp\test\ and run Studio with normal user access level
Now I can save project files because Studio can create file C:\temp\topaz-test-Edit.zip

Topaz Labs can easily repeat the problem

• change you TEMP environment variable to point "C:\temp" or “C:\temp” (does not matter)
1 Like

Thank you for reporting this.

I am the developer on project files, so feel free to message me at any time, or tag me directly in posts.

I have added this case to my task list. I believe it is easy to fix. I won’t give an exact date right now, this bug fix is competing against all the other possible fixes I can make, and I need to prioritize the most prescient bugs first.
I don’t regularly check the forums and respond on here every day because it can become very time consuming and that time is better spent coding. However, I am working on project file bugs and edge cases in the near future, and this item has been added.

Thanks again for your feedback. I know it takes time and consideration to spend the time reverse engineering how the project files work and provide us with a well written report like you did. I appreciate you helping us test and keep up the great work.

2 Likes

Nice to see developer here.
No rush because now my %TEMP% point to "C:\temp\temp" and I can work with TSP-files.

However, note that both of these are valid %TEMP% locations
"C:\temp" or “C:\temp”